main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn & Rey in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ren Kylo, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Also apparently some people want Disney to re-release The Force Awakens once Episode IX gets closer, but with the deleted scenes finished and edited in. It would be kinda nice to have the speeder scene in their so that more of the general audience can see a little bit more of Finn standing out when he takes out the enemy speeder with one blaster.

2. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes, please. Extended cut for TFA and TLJ.

3. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    I mean don't get me wrong I don't need the "Who's Smoke?" scene, but everything else I think would be good (bonus points if they could cut out that god-awful rathtar scene, but that's probably asking for too much).

Darth Smurf likes this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Establishing ANY history between Ben and Han... via the deleted scene of Kylo in the Falcon's cockpit... would add tremendous story value to the film.

5. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    The Korr Sella scene.

So I can actually give a $@&%#, when Hosnian Prime blows up.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I mean, GL added some scenes to the OT movies. IMO it would make sense to add all the deleted stuff that makes sense to the ST.
    Who cares if the movies are 180 mins instead of ~140 on the BluRay?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    Its not just you dude
    I dont think anyone cared when Hosnian Prime blew up.

cerealbox likes this.
  8. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Hosnia Prime was the part where everyone went, "wait a second-" Honestly the cantina didn't bother me at all because there were some like three emotional scenes in it that had purpose. Third death star though And impromptu destruction of major political system? Hooo boy.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  9. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    So the scene where Finn watches Rey kisses him is actually titled "It's kind of weird that you recorded that."

So I think it'll be like a semi-emotional scene with Finn smiling at it, and then he'll suddenly be like, "Wait what?"

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  10. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    You don't need to remove that scene...just reshoot it.

[​IMG]
    ....I'm going to guess that RJ cut that for time...but yeah that goes a long way to explaining Finn's determination to ensure Rey dosen't die with the fleet....and serves as a contrast in reaction to the look on his face when Rose kisses him...I really hope RJ wasn't trying to set up some kind of....conflict between Rose and Rey over Finn for the next movie. A subtle romantic touch is fine....but I don't need this to turn into some kind of Anime inspired love dodecahedron.

Balmorra, civilsecret, mlsw and 3 others like this.
  11. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    If it hasn't been settled already, it'll most likely be settled amicably, though it could be handled a number of ways. One that could work is that, after getting to know Rey, Rose thinks Rey would need Finn more than she does, since she at least had her sister, while Rey had had no one. She then sends Finn off to go help Rey during the final battle, after Rey pulls a Luke and leaves the group to go take on Supreme Leader Ren by herself or something. People tend to feel bad for the loser in a love triangle, so maybe that would redeem Rose's character after coming out as the Scrappy in TLJ. The alternative could also work with Finn choosing to accept Rose while also acknowledging that Rey is still important to him. IDK, either one can work well if done right, but it has to be done well.

12. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    He obviously isn't setting up anything like that since he cut any scenes that remotely compare the two dynamics. He cut the scene of the good bye recording & the scene of Rose mentioning Finn worries about Rey. TLJ isn't setting up a love triangle.

If it's not depicted in the film, it's not part of the story.

CosmicDust likes this.
  13. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Is the BB-8 hologram scene in the novel? Sometimes I like to think it could be part of the story as long as it doesn't contradict anything. Unlike Finn being in the bomber sequence.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I am not at all a fan of love triangles, I find them ridiculous and stupid, but I would rather have a love triangle than no connection between Finn and Rey at all.

Hypatia likes this.
  15. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Yeah. I really don't think we'll get an actual established love triangle between them.

(SERIOUSLY HOPING WE DON'T IT'S THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME IN THE STORY TO DO SO)

But if we did, at the very least people wouldn't be able to say that Rey feels nothing towards Finn or that Rey is too good for Finn. Of course that's never been an accurate statement but people will say what they'll say. Don't give them fuel. John and Daisy seem to stan the Finn and Rey dynamic (or at the very least their chemistry) so I'm hoping that plays a part in the story.

Honestly they're the only pair that both have established feelings for each other. Kylo and Rey definitely isn't a thing at this point, and neither is Finn and Rose. So Finn and Rey still seems like the most reasonable choice for romance. And JJ did a mostly good job with their dynamic in TFA.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    A love triangle might keep people from complaining that Finn/Rey are “boring” :rolleyes: either. At this point a more accurate argument would be that Finn is too good for Rey, but that can be remedied easily.

And nothing against Rose at all, I like the character, but I always thought she was more in love with Finn than he with her. Understandable, because Finn is difficult not to love, but I don’t think that he felt that for her in return.

17. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    l
    Yeah honestly, I never really saw Finn showing any romantic signs towards Rose at all. Not even acting attracted to her. Not like he was with Rey before. If it weren't for the abrupt kiss (that even Finn was perplexed by) I'm not sure if anyone would really see much potential between them.

18. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    The closest you get to romance from Finn towards Rose is him watching over her on the Falcon....as Rey looks on giving a sad smile. That is why a love triangle popped into my mind. Not hard to see Rey misunderstanding Finn's actions towards Rose and Finn not understanding the tension that could grow between Rose and Rey if JJ went in that direction.

Hypatia and Deerborne like this.
  19. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    I probably mentioned it before but it reminds me of on RotJ when Han thought that Leia loved Luke, only to find out that wasn't the case. Again, like you said, a misunderstanding. But Rian did say he left a mess for the next director, so that was probably on purpose. If Finn and Rey spent a significant amount of time together in IX, I wouldn't be surprised if they had that type of interaction similar to RotJ.

I would hope they didn't focus too much on a love triangle. Nor do I want IX to start out with Finn and Rose in some serious committed relationship with such little development put in.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  20. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    So apparently the new episode of Rebels has Ezra having a sort of "time travel" moment with the Force and you hear more recent voices like Poe and I believe someone mentioned Jyn? I haven't seen the episode myself by they also say that you can hear Rey's voice saying, "We'll see each other again. I believe that."
    Thought that was kinda cute

Skillzwalker likes this.
  21. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    It also had Kylo saying "I'll finish what you started"

22. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    And Finn saying "Yeah I mopped that ship too." Just kidding, sorry can't stop typing and clicking post reply.

RandomGreyJ likes this.
  23. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Yep, Filoni has lost it. That's why I'll never consider that crud part of SW.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  24. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    WoooooooW [face_coffee]
    [​IMG]

@CrazyOldJedi I'll easily accept that as canon over the entirety of TLJ

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    afrojedi and Darth Smurf like this.
  25. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I feel like this is a classism issue. It seems that people in the upper middle class and higher don't think these sorts of jobs are degrading. Instead they think it is cute or they recall the times they had to do chores and it wasn't fun but they learned valuable lessons! They may argue that people make a living off of such jobs so it's a good thing. They totally miss that this is about power and it's not cute to someone in the working class or in poverty. I wonder if this attitude is in play in the writing.

I wonder if the people making the story have been poor or had parents suffer through these sorts of jobs...

It's certainly "cute" when one doesn't clean up after themselves and expects others to do it all for them.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.