main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Well, I'd Rather Be Dead in Arizona Than Alive in Utah (NHL Discussion, Playoffs and Relocation)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Yodave27, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    You don't pass on an opportunity to win the Cup.

heels1785 and Darth_Furio like this.
  2. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Frank T. likes this.
  3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Ugh, the Blackhawks are downright unwatchable right now.

Lady Belligerent , Luke02 and Bowen like this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Cam Talbot is an absolutely horrible goalie. Oilers don't help him, but his skill set is suited for the minors.

5. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Headed to Vegas today to see the Knights play two games in a row Tuesday and Thursday, we have seats in the VIP section near the rink. I can’t wait! I’ve actually never been to an NHL game in my life and just got into the sport this year but have watched nearly every Golden Knights game. I’ve become so die hard that I’ve done something I never thought I’d do before - I missed a game and knew we won later, so I watched the entire replay while working out lol.

I’m really hoping for no repeat of Sunday. I’m not meaning to offend any Flyers fans but I’ve never seen a game where one team so thoroughly dominated the other (I believe 38 to 17 in shots) and controlled the puck almost all game but somehow got blown away 4-1 on the only board that counts - the scoreboard!! Hockey is a crazy sport. I’ve also seen games where I felt the Knights got dominated (ahem our win against the Blues early in the season) and yet we somehow won. That seems to happen more in hockey than lots of other sports. Baseball, it does happen, a close game your team sucks all game and scores 5 in the last two innings to steal a game. But man oh man hockey can be cruel when the puck won’t find its way to the back of that freaking net!! Lol

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Actively offend them as much as you can. Go out of your way to find new ways to offend them, when possible. They're the worst fanbase in the history of forever, sans @A Chorus of Disapproval and any members of his family.

Good to see some "new blood" in our group here! Enjoy the games! You get to see Patrick Kane, Toews, and Duncan Keith tonight and Connor McDavid on Thursday - picked two very good games to attend.

7. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Hahahaha that’s awesome. Well yeah I wasn’t going to say that but you’re not wrong ;)

Connor McDavid I’m so excited to see, I feel really lucky to have that game to watch. I just hope he doesn’t burn Vegas for 4 like Tampa last week my god lol. He’s ridiculous. Chicago has a huge fan base so I assume I’ll see a lot of their fans Tuesday night.

I missed out for more than 30 years on such a great sport. In Portland we only have pro basketball but I followed NFL and MLB teams and still have my teams, but never got into hockey. I think it’s a way more exciting sport to me than basketball. I kind of loved it immediately. I find soccer slow and boring to be honest when nobody’s scoring but hockey can be edge of your seat exciting for me even in a 0-0 period because guaranteed at least 5-6 times it was so close to a goal.

8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Nothing tops live hockey. Even live minor league hockey is great - I'm not in a major market, but we have a great ECHL team (think AA baseball), the South Carolina Stingrays, and I love going to see them. You'll really get a greater appreciation for the speed and strategy of the game when you're seeing the ice all at once, too. For example, you'll see the flashy SportsCenter forwards that loaf around on defense, and you'll see the gritty centers who score 10-12 points a year, but who are invaluable because they have a non-stop motor and are better defenders than the actual defenders - TV doesn't always capture that.

The NHL hasn't expanded much recently as much as they've "rearranged" a bit with some relocation. Seeing new fans as a result of the new teams is exciting, and it looks like you all have built a good fan base pretty quickly (surely helped by the stunning success of a first year expansion team). With the Raiders coming into town, the sports scene in that city will only improve.

9. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @cubman987

Who knew both teams who occupy the United Center were “tanking” this season LOL!

All those years of trading quality prospects for “win now” players finally caught up to them. The question is where do they go long term in terms of Q? He is a fabulous coach but he is not what you call a coach that likes to develop prospects.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    If DeBrincat, Schmaltz, and Duclair pan out, I think he'll be okay. He pushed Dahlstrom into the deep end to shore up that defense. I think Q can work with youth as well as anyone, and has earned the right to bail when he wants - think of the 10-15 years that preceded him, and how awful Chicago was. Everything changed after he came over, and he's got 3 Cups.

Crawford's health, poor PP, Toews' sudden decline, and their inability to fill the vacuum left by Panarin with Saad are all short-term, but significant problems that have hit them all at once.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I been surprised at how much Saad as struggle since he came back. I thought that was a great move since Panarin just got bang around in the playoffs while Saad was always a beast come playoff time. Problem is you first have to make it to the playoffs in order for Beast Playoff Saad to show up.

It will be a interesting offseason for sure. Management (Rocky & John McDonough) were livid after getting knock out of the playoffs last year in the first round even though the Blackhawks had the best record in the west. Imagine what will happen if this "tank" really does happen and they are fighting for a top draft pick come the end of the season. Major changes will be made for sure.

heels1785 likes this.
  12. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Right, I'm a little worried the Hawks and Q will "mutually part ways" since I don't think there is any way management will fire him, or at least, not use those words. As you said, definitely going to be an interesting offseason.

13. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    I imagine Dineen'll be gone. Who knows if Stan'll trade a core player or two. Or if Hossa'll be back.

I don't think Toews has declined so much as lost his offense. He could find it again. Especially if Hossa comes back. I think Hossa's play was a big motivator for Johnny.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    cubman987 likes this.
  14. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Dope.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    nasher:

[​IMG]

thank you. both for the flashes of greatness and all of the money you took

**** the bruins, though.

16. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Honestly a really great deal for the Rangers. Can't believe they got that much for Nash.

Solid pickup for the Leafs in Plekanec. Definitely an upgrade over Moore for the 4C slot.

heels1785 likes this.
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    yeah. id love to see dom return a third time to ny if he’s a surplus in toronto

one of my favorites from my favorite team, that 13-14 squad.

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    second straight captain we've gifted the lightning.

thanks mac. great captain and defender that never quit - lightning will be lucky to have you.

19. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    NYR traded McDonagh!?!

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    sickening

in this week of heels' sports failures, unc bball may be an enemeh of the fbi, marcus peters was inexplicably given away, and now i've lost nasher and my captain.

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Welcome to rebuild mode. I know, it feels weird when your team actually does it. :p

heels1785 and Frank T. like this.
  22. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    Was McDonagh's play going downhill?

23. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    Tampa made out like bandits. Much better trade overall than if they had gotten Karlsson as that wasn’t happening without one of Point or Sergachev.

As it stands right now, cancel the playoffs and give Tampa the cup because that’s a ridiculous team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    Bruins may have something to say about that

25. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    Hyperbole. Boston I think is the one team with a decent chance of beating Tampa but I still take Tampa as the favorite. They were close before and Tampa added McDonagh whereas Boston added Nash. If Tampa was the better roster before, the gap just widened.

The Lightning’s top four is now Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev, and Stralman. That’s unreal. Most teams covet a #1 Dman and Tampa has two with another one in the making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk