main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Surprising Facts/Stats About Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Palpadious, Feb 10, 2018.

1. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    That concept was later reused for Raxus in TCW.

2. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Is that concept by McQuarrie? Pretty impressive painting. Megacities like Coruscant really fascinate me. Slightly off topic, but there is also a book where a complete world is nothing but one huge city, the "first dominion" in Clive Barker's Imajica. I have no idea however if one work inspired the other somehow. The book was written in 1990/91. When did the first ideas for Coruscant appear? If I remember correctly it was originally to be included in ROTJ. I think that would have improved the movie a lot.

3. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Yes and no. He did if for the 1995 Illustrated Star Wars Universe, apparently building on his ROJ pre-production artwork for Had Abbadon (Coruscant's original name).

You remember correctly (Had Abbadon), the first draft for ROJ from June 1981. But the concept of a city planet is something Lucas borrowed from Asimov's Foundation Trilogy, the city and center planet Trantor of Asimov's "Galactic Empire" (sic).

[​IMG]

(^ that's a genuine Trantor illustration before Coruscant even existed...)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  4. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    The Disco planet. Let's get down there!

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    The only reason why I am going down there is for this:

[​IMG]

6. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Fat lot of good that little hootenanny did.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Bazinga'd likes this.
  7. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I can't link to it but there is actually an early photo of George at his Desk with a Micky statue on it :)

8. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    ^ IIRC it was the Mickey Mouse telephone in one of the documentary videos in the very first Lucasfilm headquarters.

[​IMG]

firesaber, Bazinga'd and Martoto77 like this.
  9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    That proved prophetic, didnt it?

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    George Lucas wanted to be a race car driver, but when he was 18 he almost died in a crash so he went to film school instead.

11. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    All of the interior ship architecture, furnishings, piping etc for interiors shot at Elstree for EPIV were bought buy the truck load from an aviation graveyard outside of London.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It was George Lucas’s one idea to bring back Darth Maul in TCW.

13. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    Resurrecting this as one thing that's occurred to me is the age of Ian McDiarmid (Palpatine) which is absolutely crazy in context. He's 38 in Return of the Jedi.

That makes him only 7 years older than Mark Hamill in the same film and two years *younger* than Harrison Ford!

He is also the same age in Return of the Jedi as Oscar Isaac in The Last Jedi.

Finally, in the same film Sebastian Shaw plays Anakin Skywalker, who is at least 50 years younger than Palpatine, but Shaw is 40 years older than McDiarmid in the film at 78, more than twice McDiarmid's age - resulting in an overall age miscasting of somewhere around 90 years.

14. shafty

shafty Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    ^ that post hurt my brains! ;-)

Are there any pics of Ian mcdiarmid from Rotj out of make up?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If you look at the wording of the TPM novelization and what GL said to Bill Moyers, it seems that GL intended for at least an additional 1000 years to pass in between Darth Bane creating the Rule of Two and the "extinction" of the Sith referenced by Ki-Adi Mundi. This explains Yoda knowing about the Rule of Two and recognizing Darth Bane in TCW.

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    His name is used in a Star Wars Adventure Journal for another character.

Garindan's voice is a distorted recording of John Wayne.

17. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    The "metaphorical death" would have worked if Han didn't come back good as new in ROTJ, so it doesn't really count. Han was in a similar state as the space travelers in hypersleep in the Alien saga. Easy definition for death: if you come back to life you weren't really dead, only if you stay dead.
    And those Imperial officers certainly weren't main characters.
    I would consider those MINOR roles, in contrast to TPM Anakin.

AOTC: the only episode in which we see holograms as decoration or as a memory (not just for communication or information), and pictures on walls (deleted Padmé's home scene). OK, maybe disqualified since not in the final movie. How about this one? The only episode that features an actual boat (not high-tech submarines but old-fashioned row-boat).
    TPM and ROTS only: they have end credits music not heard in the respective movie itself but from the OT. Vader's Theme (ESB and ROTJ) in TPM and Throne Room theme (ANH) in ROTS.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  18. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    ESB: the only episode that doesn't feature some kind of entertainment/leisure activities

ANH has the Cantina with live band and characters playing a kind of chess game
    ROTJ has Jabba's palace band
    TPM has the pod race
    AOTC has the Coruscant club with drinks, drugs and video games, plus an ancient Rome-style Colosseum/arena for "bread and games" gladiator-type entertainment
    ROTS has the opera scene

TPM: the only episode that doesn't have a character's name in the opening crawl. "Supreme Chancellor" yes, "two Jedi Knights", yes, but no names are given.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Although Vader has been referred to as a "Dark Lord of Sith" for as long as Star Wars has existed, Palpatine never was referred to as having any titles with "Sith" in them until TPM introduced "Darth Sidious".

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  20. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Nor he was named Palpatine in ROTJ.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Not onscreen - but in the novelizations (ANH and ROTJ) he was.

Jedi Knight Fett and Sarge like this.
  22. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Also, I don't think he was ever meant to have owned a lightsaber. The way he talks about Luke's ("oh yes... a Jedi's weapon" or something like that) indicates that, unless he was putting on an act. Nor was it ever explained what "Sith" means in the OT. I think the Sith, what they were and how they were the Jedi's main adversaries, including lightsaber duels, all these things were retconned in the PT.
    Same thing with "Darth". I honestly doubt Lucas had meant that as a Sith title rather than just a name. But since TPM every bad guy suddenly is a Darth something.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Lt. Hija and Sarge like this.
  23. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    That's correct. You should have seen the faces of many of my local Star Wars friends when I suggested in the early 1990's that "Sith" is probably the antithesis to "Jedi": :rolleyes: [face_dunno][face_thinking] 8-}

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I think that in 1975-1983, the "Sith" were supposed to be Jedi who pledged themselves to Palpatine when the Jedi Purge began. Sometime in between ROTJ's release and when the Tales of the Jedi comics were written, GL decided to make the "Sith" as old as the Jedi.

25. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    From 1977 until the PT, I just remember the Sith being referred to as, "a powerful group of evildoers" or something like that. No specifics, though.

Lt. Hija and Sith Lord 2015 like this.