main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Just Imagine Star Wars not going threw the up to 2030s but going threw 40s and 50s or even 60s too. I am talking not the next ten years but 20 or 30s years and beyond. This is a good time to be a star wars, Harry Potter and Middle Earth fan too. Both the other franchises of Harry Potter and Middle Earth are going down that road too.:eek:

Meaning More Movies, TV shows, and Video Games. Except harry Potter won't get as much video games, but we can bet more of the TV and movies.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  2. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm not going to disagree with you there. We can't go back to a movie every three years either. The special effects have evolved tremendously within the last 8 years alone, but more important what everyone has to realize is that the special magic of the OT for some and the PT for others can't be replicated. They belong in its time. These new movies are very different from the past, and as more people start doing more movies and live action tv series we will see it even more. Back then its was too many novels and the occasional dark horse comic book. Now that all that stuff is defunct, they have a wide canvass in which to tell their stories within the movie, live action, and animated series.

There are people who say that Star Wars will be Marvelized, but, I don't think so. The difference is that now for Star Wars at least, there is a big push for more movies covering different facets of star wars, a new live action tv series coming out, and more animation. That is going to be the core of storytelling, with the novels and comic books picking up the rest. That's the big difference with Star Wars, that, and the fact that the directors love Star Wars so much that they will tinker with it and add a pinch here and there. Just look at the three movies from Disney.

3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I'm just interested in when we start learning more about the next animated series. Obviously we wouldn't be hearing anything yet as they would want the current focus to stay on Rebels and not in what is coming next but now that Rebels will be finished in a couple months I'm wondering when they start letting the public in on that info. I'm guessing we will probably know a lot about the show by the end of the year. And it likely may even start in late 2019 since we know they have been working on it for a couple years now.

podjazd and Snafu55 like this.
  4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

podjazd likes this.
  5. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I just want more Star Wars. I do not have to like all of it, in fact I did not like parts of RO or 8, which kind of ruined them for me. But I still saw them, will see them again and hopefully see them from a new light. Same with the tv shows, books, comics, ect. Some are good, some are bad, but I would rather get some bad mixed in with the good then not get any Star Wars anymore. (Even if just books, comics, and games again. ;) )

But yeah, I am excited to see what the next series will be about. I just hope they continue to make toys for it. :p

redxavier and kalzeth like this.
  6. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    Lucasfilm just filed a trademark for "Star Wars Resistance"

Hmmmm.... [face_thinking]

cwustudent and MrDarth0 like this.
  7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    We'll have to wait and see. If this is the next animated series this would be the time they start making the existence of it public since Rebels only has a couple weeks left.

8. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Interesting, but I don't think it means much. The Resistance is the name of the ST era good guys and so they may just want to establish better protection in the context of the Star Wars brand.

(While I love the idea, it would feel a bit redundant with the Poe Dameron series of comics.)

kalzeth likes this.
  9. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Could easily be a spin-off movie.

10. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Resistance could be anything really. I'm not sure they'll do anything ST related until after IX but I'd be happy to be wrong

That said I'm hoping we do hear something official about the next animated series soon after Rebels ends. With how close to the vest they play things these days it's extremely possible they have something already well in development and ready to launch in fall with the new TV season.

kalzeth likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Rebels is named after the OT era good guys and Star Wars Resistance has the same ring as Rebels

cwustudent likes this.
  12. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    How long will we have to wait for a new show after Rebels is finished? Will it be later this year or next year?

kalzeth likes this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  14. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Depends, really. The first few seasons might avoid origin stories of key ST characters - heck, might not mention them at all.

The Interwebz are speculating this is the new TV series with it starting 5-10 years after RoTJ (I have no idea where they've got that information from); but, as young @Todd the Jedi will point out, we had at least two false animated series named before Rebels was officially confirmed by Disney. So I wouldn't get too excited over this just yet.

kalzeth and ChrisLyne like this.
  15. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah, definitely too early to get excited.

And if it is about the Resistance it won't be 5-10 years after Jedi. Leia set up the Resistance in Bloodlines which was 6 years before TFA. Seems like the speculation is mashing up the post-Jedi Luke/Han/Leia speculation with the Resistance title speculation.

16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    My question is how many new series will we get? If they can produce more than one live action series at a time (which Iger confirmed they are) then they should be able to also release multiple animated shows at a time. Perhaps we'll a show like Resistance running concurrently with something like... Ahsoka.

kalzeth likes this.
  17. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    My guess is the next series will be announced on May the 4th (Be With You). And I have a feeling it won't be animation. I have a feeling it will be live action.

kalzeth likes this.
  18. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I do hope that some day we see that Underworld show come to pass in some form or another. They've already got scripts so that's part of the work already done.

kalzeth likes this.
  19. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I can see that for the live action series. I'm still hopeful we'll get a new animated series announced sooner (maybe even late next week after Rebels has ended)

Did Iger actually specify multiple live action series or just multiple series for the streaming service? Only asking as I thought he just said multiple series. So it could be a live and an animated or it could be multiple of each. We also don't have a time frame for these shows, so it could be they're planning multiple single season stories to "air" consecutively (so Underworld one year, KOTOR the next, etc) or they be planning multiple ongoing series to run concurrently (like the Netflix Marvel shows). Heck, I just realized we don't really have any confirmation that Disney XD will get a replacement animated series for Rebels (do we?) we're just assuming as it seems natural that they would. Everything is very vague at the moment but should hopefully start clearing up soon!

kalzeth likes this.
  20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I took him specifying that they were for the streaming service to mean they were live action since I imagine any animated series will remain on Disney XD. I could be wrong about that of course. Who knows? It's exciting though! :D

ChrisLyne likes this.
  21. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I've also been thinking about that. Since Solo is coming out in May, after that until December of 2019 they will have nothing on tap. So I wouldn't be surprised if we got another animated series sooner.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  22. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
  23. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Love that, they aren't slowing :) these animated series have really done the business.

24. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I hope they announce this soon. And I hope we still get action figures from this, I feel they cut down on the action figures from Rebels... and I want more figures. Especially a new Ahsoka if she appears. :p

kalzeth likes this.
  25. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012