main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Mhm, I doubt that. They aren't going to base the decision to make a movie on the reception of a completely different project.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    If Disney cared about what the fans wanted films to be about we would not have Solo. :p

3. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Solo "has" the potential to be decent and interesting but yeah Disney should ask the fans what they feel would do well as a standalone.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No, they really shouldn't.

5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    You don't want a movie that is deeply EU that the majority of the audience comes out thinking "Huh? What was that all about?"

I think I do.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  6. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Since there's no Star Wars Celebration in 2018, I'm going to guess that McGregor, Kennedy and the director will make an appearance at Comic Con this summer and drop the news of the Obi-Wan movie. Just a hunch.

Since the slight backlash from longtime fans and the low audience approval ratings of TLJ, it seems like LFL is in a rush to announce other projects not related to the main saga or Rian Johnson. Within 2 months of TLJ's release we have major announcements and the GoT guys launching a new film series and Favreau launching a VOD series, too, both without much detail or any timelines attached. That smells of an attempt at getting "good news" out there to change the SW headlines/conversation.

Kenobi announcement can't be far behind. It's probably a done deal already, they just want to wait till after Solo to drop the news. I think it'll be the next film after episode IX, unless Lando is a huge scene-stealer and they fast-track a minority-driven Lando spin-off. It would be a great idea because Glover is awesome, and considering the success of Black Panther, it would be a safe bet financially as well.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Kenobi strikes me as the most likely bet for 2020, especially since I think it will be the smallest scale Star Wars film to date.

Luke02 likes this.
  8. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Wasn't the third anthology supposed to be announced last June ? I think KK meant June 2018 not 2017.....

Of all the anthology movies they could do Kenobi would be the one I would look forward to the most....

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    With the announcements of the RJ Trilogy and Benioff/Weiss series movies, there's a possibility that Anthology as a category could be finished at some point... hopefully they'll at least be able to do one more after Solo, and that the third one could be Kenobi. [face_praying]

10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Fixed that for you. :p

Seriously though, I'll be a very, very sad mod if this film never happens.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It'll happen. I guarantee it. And you know how solid my guarantees are! :p

TCF-1138 likes this.
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, that confirms it.
    Movie's not happening, folks!

:p

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  13. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Come on! That guarantee means that Kenobi: A Star Wars Story comes out this August. :p

14. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    [​IMG]

15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I guarantee it won't come out in August! There is that better? :p

TCF-1138 likes this.
  16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
  17. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    [face_thinking]

18. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm sorry. I'll shut up now because I want this film as much as anyone. I don't want to jinx it with my bad luck. :p

20. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    It's alright I keep telling everyone that Solo is secretly the Obi-Wan movie and that's why they are so late to sharing trailers for it. :p

21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Every time I see a Kenobi-centric thread get bumped with no news a part of me withers away. See, I've just done it now.

DarthRosie, B3 and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I highly doubt they are in a rush. These announcements would happen anyway.

23. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    Kenobi was in no rush either...19 years on a desert planet...
    Seriously, this is the Star Wars Story I most want to see.

cwustudent likes this.
  24. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    I wish the GoT showrunners were doing the Kenobi movie(s)... They have this awesome sarcastic humour to their writing that would be perfect for Obi-Wan and Tatooine in general. :)

25. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I think controlling the news cycle and headlines for positivity is definitely in the playbook of major motion picture corporations, as with any other large business, to the degree they are able to do so. The fact is in the past (rogue one and solo) we've not heard much if not anything about those projects until more concrete plans are made (such as a timeline/release date, general description of what the film is going to be about, writers and directors, etc.) and yet post-TLJ we've had a few quick announcements that have very few of the traditional details we have gotten up front when past projects were first announced.

Just seems apparent that Disney/LFL is happy to get the news out soon that there are other voices and filmmakers involved in SW, not just Rian Johnson, in case people who didn't like TLJ are worried about that...

1. Vague GoT creators film series (not even saying if it's a trilogy or how many movies much less a start date)

2. Vague Favreau streaming series (again no timeline, or announced writers or cast or even a general concept disclosed)

3. And then there's this which was not denied or shut down by LFL/Disney:

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/03/03/star-wars-movie-simon-kingberg-writing/

So that's three vague projects talked about within 10 weeks of the TLJ release, and all without a single new word about Rian Johnson's trilogy or updates about it, and it was announced almost 5 months ago.

That's a high number of news making considering LFL has SOLO to promote as well.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.