main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #7-12: The Dying Light/ Legacy's End (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Wouldn't Ben have known about them if they existed? He tells Luke on Crait that when he kills him, he'll have killed the last Jedi. If there were some more Jedi out there in the universe, Ben wouldn't have said that. Lucasfilm made it very clear that Luke was the Last Jedi until Rey arrived.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

kalzeth likes this.
  2. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Only problem with that is the Unknown Regions are First Order Territory so those Jedi sent out would be screwed.

Vialco likes this.
  3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    That was ... intense. Aside from maybe Crimson Empire, this is the most evil Darth Vader we've ever seen. It's kinda hard to imagine that he could ever be redeemed at this point.

4. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Vader got his own lightsaber hilt :cool:

[​IMG]

Very good indeed Lord Vader.

The colours are beautiful throughout, and the panels where we see inside Vader's head while meditating cannot be what they are without the appropriate colours. Kudos to the colourist David Curiel!

I found Vader's comment "I...have had enough of this" funny, because this is his second crash-landing on Coruscant in approximately one month :p In case I'm not clear enough as to when was the first crash-landing I'm referring, it's the one in ROTS after Anakin, Obi-Wan and R2 rescued Sheev. Really curious if the writer thought of the same or maybe I'm looking too much into this.

Vader's introduction before the Imperial Officers reminded me a LOT of the one in Republic #78. The setting and outcome were somewhat similar, except that in Republic #78 Vader Force Choked just one officer.

The only small complaint that I have is regarding the attitude & dialogue from the Ninth Sister. I don't like the way her dialogue is written, but it is a small and very subjective thing that thankfully does not interfere with my (immense) enjoyment of the comic.

5. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Loved this issue. Now we understand the deal about the Rule of Five, and it wasn´t a test by Palpatine at all! It was worth it to wait for the whole story to unravel...

Is it me, or the art is getting better and better with each passing issue?

@spicer The Ninth Sister doesn´t really sound like a darksider yet, could that be it? She is a character I´m very curious about, it does make me wonder about the circumstances that lead to her being inducted into the Inquisitorius...

Jarrus, kalzeth, Darth_Pevra and 3 others like this.
  6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    We still don't know of the circumstances that lead to all of the inquisitors induction to the Inquisitorious. Just one week after Order 66 they are all good to go somehow...

BTW, here are the names on the list written in Aurebesh:
    - Corin Ferro
    - Wilhuff Tarkin
    - Jer Croteau
    - Cassio Tagge
    - Joon Strephi
    - Tomas Azoras
    - Zorta Bingan

Let me know if I'm mistaken in my interpretation of the names from Aurebesh.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    tatooinesandworm likes this.
  7. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Tried to transliterate the names on Vader's HUD:

"Provide me a list of all individuals with access codes to Imperial systems at level 1A1 and above."
    • Corin Ferro
    • Wilhuff Tarkin
    • Jer Croteau
    • Cassio Tagge
    • Joon Strephi
    • Tomas Azoras
    • Zorta Binga— *
    *Cut off; looks like Bingaw or Bingath but I'm sure we can safely assume it's meant to be Bingan, going by the names Vader calls out later in the issue: "Ferro. Bingan. Strephi. Azoras. Barokki." Really, it should go without saying, but I'm always afraid of Wookieepedia-editor-level quibbling if I state something too surely about anything Star Wars anywhere online. :p

Loved the line "No tricks. Skill."

cwustudent and tatooinesandworm like this.
  8. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    This issue was a great exploration of the relationship between Vader and the Emperor, and of Vader's inner thoughts. It was nice to see the construction of Vader's lightsaber, and I loved the way we saw the Emperor picking up some of the artifacts we saw in his possession in the Lando miniseries. I did find it a little slow and lacking in both action and suspense, though a quiet issue every now and then is not a bad thing. I liked that it wasn't Palpatine who was behind the assassination attempt, but I wish we got to learn more about the beings who were actually behind it.

kalzeth likes this.
  9. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    That may be what Lucasfilm wants storywise. The Jedi are extinct, but the purpose of the scattering in Dune, wasn’t to keep the status quo in different parts of the galaxy. It was to keep humanity alive. I guess, the use of the word Jedi was poor on my part. I want Luke to have sent out Force Users to learn and explore the different aspects of the Force. So the people that come back, aren’t necessarily “Jedi” but mentors that can help Rey,
    Ahsoka, and Ezra rebuild.

The New Republic doesn’t control all of known space. I wouldn’t expect The First Order to have absolute authority in the Unknown Regions.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest
    Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #7-12: The Dying Light/ Legacy's End (6/6 Released)

Thanks for translating the names above. I'm assuming he choked 5 of the 7 leaving Tarkin per the Emperor and Tagge of course needs to live 18-19 more years.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  11. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    But of a meh issue. But in this series even the meh issues are v good.

Liked seeing Palpatine wandering through the Temple. It's a creepy and forlorn visual, that.

As for the culprits: I'm glad they weren't just Palpatine but I felt nothing for them. I guess that was the point but reading Republic #78 immediately after for its nearly identical scent showed that little sequence was rather bland.

Here's hoping we see a Bail and Mon Mothma cameo though; would love to see Palpatine interacting with the Senators in this period. It's something we rarely saw in the oldEU too.

12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    When Vader was meditating, was he hearing those two people talking in the mask shop or no?

13. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Don't think so, no. The meditation scene was where Vader reflected on his recent actions and how they could have created an enemy for him within the Empire.

On a different note, what are the rules for spoilers regarding comics? Do we have to use spoilers tags on the day the comic comes out or can we discuss it openly?

Ithorians likes this.
  14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    The more I think about it I'm not sure they are going to show anything about the formation of the Rebellion in this series (not unless this series spans years). It would have taken a little while for people to get angry enough with the Empire for them to start realizing they needed to do something.

15. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    After a so-so last issue, this issue came roaring back. It was great and Charles Soule continues to kill with this comic. The characterization on Vader is excellent, as is his interaction and relationship with Palpatine.

kalzeth, Darth_Pevra and Vialco like this.
  16. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    If I'm not mistaken this was the first time in canon, that Vader
    force chokes imperial officers...little did they know they were the first of many....

revan772, tatooinesandworm and spicer like this.
  17. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I'm so glad it wasn't Palpatine who ordered it and the fact that he doesn't test Vader and that he doesn't need anyone to do it for him if he ever have to kill Vader. Ninth Sister is an interesting character, she doesn't seem fear Vader and she is even insolent sometimes with no repercussions, I wonder how long she'll last under him. Vader piloting and crashing is so Anakin that he even noticed it. Vader's meditations are still awesome with him still trying to snuff out the blue butterflies oh and he also have his familiar lightsaber now. I liked the scene where he randomly picked imperials to kill just to show what awaits the others if they ever try to assassinate him, brutal but efficient. I remember in the first Vader series also had him cracking windows after he heard the name of the one who destroyed the Death Star. Nice call back to the Lando series as well which is expected since they're both written by the same guy.

tatooinesandworm and kalzeth like this.
  18. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    It was not.

[​IMG]

revan772, tatooinesandworm and spicer like this.
  19. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    For all those people who thought the attack on Vader was one of Palpatine's tests.

[​IMG]

revan772 and tatooinesandworm like this.
  20. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    From what we saw the conspirators looked alien to me. (Particularly their mouth region which have inhuman creases).
    I might suspect an inquisitor (Maybe even GI) if not for the fact that they spoke of them as outsiders.
    Curious, could be an attempt to mislead us. But the lack of aliens in Imperial high command leaves no other suspects as far as I can tell.[face_thinking]

21. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I loved reading that.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  22. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    The culprits were clearly Imperial officers: the dude missing two fingers can be spied in the scene where Vader address the officer corps:
    [​IMG]

revan772, Revanfan1, KamNale and 4 others like this.
  23. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Wow I didn't notice that.
    That confirms the identity of one individual at least. (Short of an actual name).
    But unless the artwork was intentionally misleading, there is nothing saying the other has to be an officer.
    Though that could just be unwarranted suspicion in my part.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  24. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Well, I did get the feeling that both conspirators where male humans (possibly both imperial officers, because of the nature of their dialogue, but as you say, it´s not certain), even if there was a female officer that looked quite nervous with Vader´s speech later on the issue.

Still, I really liked the aesthetics of the Room of Masks, and the conspirators meeting there. It was quite alien looking, like they both went for masks of some obscure, remote culture to hide their identity and blend with this rather unorthodox scenery. Certainly gave them a ghoulish look, in their ill intentioned conversation...

Jarrus and Vialco like this.
  25. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    A lot of the officers looked nervous after Vader strangled their companions right in front of them.:p
    The masks likely just made them look weird. I look forward to learning the truth. But then this sort of speculation is half the fun.

Ithorians and Vialco like this.