main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Who Should Direct Future SW Films?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Eddie, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Ryan Coogler
    Jon Favreau

2. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    How about George Lucas and JJ team up for one. George can provide the vision and JJ more the details.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Tommy Wiseau

"There was this one guy. He fell to the dark side. His boss found out, made him slaughter all the younglings."

"Ha ha ha what a story Mark!"

4. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    My dream Star Wars director is me, if I’m being honest :p lol. Can’t think of anyone else who knows the saga better, comes at a cheaper rate (DGA minimum is fine), and would take better advantage of the opportunity :p

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Pfft, get in line! :p

(From three years ago: )

Bowen likes this.
  6. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Dreams are weird and surreal. My dream director would probably be a talking banana.

TX-20, GregMcP and Darth Smurf like this.
  7. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    The Episode X-XII trilogy could center around Johnny Solo, the adult son of Ben and Rey. He continues to fall to the grey side of the Force, even though he should be as good as his mom or as evil has his dad. Internal conflict takes over. "I am tearing me apart, meesa!"
    "I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bantha doodoo, I did not hit her! I did not. Oh, hi Bendu!"

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  8. xoubara

xoubara Jedi Master star 2

Mar 4, 2003
    Joss Whedon
    Brad Bird
    Bong Joon-ho
    Edgar Wright
    Yeon Sang-ho
    James Mangold
    Taika Waititi
    Kathryn Bigelow
    Zhang Yimou
    Christopher McQuarrie

I could go on and on.

9. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Hahaha talking banana I love it. Yeah exactly well I won’t lie the ultimate dream would be to direct a SW movie but I would feel like I did something pretty awesome still if I could second unit direct a TV episode one day lol and hey that may be a realistic goal! If they keep making content, you put yourself in the conversation, second unit directing work would just take the right connection.

Heck even if I made it as a big director I’d be happy to second unit direct anything SW for minimum pay just for fun :) It’s SW!

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I really think they should stick with the spinoff singular films.

xoubara likes this.
  11. xoubara

Mar 4, 2003
    So do I. One trilogy at a time, please.

12. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Hayao Miyazaki
    A Ghibli Star Wars series.

13. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Guillermo del Toro : let's give the Master of Monsters a toolbox full of aliens.

14. xoubara

Mar 4, 2003
    It would be nice to see ghibli making a star wars movie, but it is so highly improbable I wouldn't even mention them here lol

As for Del Toro, only if he trustes the script to someone more talented than him.

15. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    @Bowen, I would love to see a Star Wars movie directed by you... Even if it's a short fan-made SW Story, why not? ^:)^

But with regards to the topic, I think Peter Jackson can be a great Star Wars director... As well as other famed people like James Cameron, Christopher Nolan, Ang Lee, Martin Scorsese, Ridley Scott, and even George's buddy Steven Spielberg... =D=

Oh, let's not forget Quentin Tarantino also... Who can also act as a bounty hunter in a future SW movie, since he has the look and personality to match! :p

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  16. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015
    after seeing black panther, i would love for ryan coogler to get a shot

17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE, AND TITLE UPDATE.

18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Ava DuVernay
    Ryan Coogler
    Taika Waititi
    Patty Jenkins

TX-20 likes this.
  19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    If Ryan Coogler doesn't get at least get asked to direct a Star Wars film I will riot in the streets.

20. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I would prefer the Directors to have a bit of experience under their belts and actually understand SW. Some would argue that Johnson did not have a long enough track record to be given a Saga movie. Perhaps LFL should avoid the 'flavour of the month' newbies and stick to the veterans?

Felicia and Darth Smurf like this.
  21. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    "Understanding Star Wars" is an empty phrase, there is no meaning behind it. The fandom alone is split into a ton of different opinions about what Star Wars is or should be about. Just because someone has a different opinion doesn't mean that he or she "doesn't understand Star Wars", contrary to what some people on here want you to believe.

Not that Lucasfilm can win anyway. If they go with talented newcomers who have shown their talent but haven't been around for ages, they get accused of choosing people who lack experience. If they go with someone established, they get criticised for only choosing from the "old boys club" and not taking chances on those who bring fresh ideas. Then you can also add the loud but small groups of people who start an outcry if they choose a white man ("why not a women or a black guy? they never get a chance from Lucasfilm!") or if they choose the opposite ("bla bla femi-nazi, bla bla diversity is evil, us whites get persecuted now!"). Lucasfilm should choose who they feel is right for the job. That can be a newcomer as well as someone who has been around for ages. There is nothing that makes a veteran automatically better or more knowledgeable about Star Wars, nor does a young director automatically have better ideas than a veteran.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Kole, Darth Nave and redxavier like this.
  22. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    On the contrary, there actually is. You talk about a split fandom, which I agree with, but if you can create a movie that panders to each and every one of those fans to a certain degree then you 'understand SW'. The things that hooked me, when I first saw the news clips way back when, were Threepio and the X-Wings. I'm old enough now to chuckle at 'Mega-destroyers bristling with Ion cannons' but still know how excited some are by that type of thing. A Director (and more importantly the writer), if they understand the SW fandom and if they are a fan themselves, has a better than average chance of producing a decent SW movie. If that person is older and/or has more life experience the better IMHO.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  23. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Not only could such a movie not possibly exist, but doing something like that most definately doesn't mean you understand Star Wars. Nor does a person being older or more experienced mean that he or she is in any way more capable of writing or directing such a movie.

It is impossible to pander to all those people, because many of the positons are polar opposites of each other. If you try to ignore that and only pander a bit to everyone, you end up with a giant mess that no one really likes. The last thing that ever could create a good movie is going by check-list to see if you truly have taken everyone into account. There really isn't a worse approach than that.

There is nothing like "understanding Star Wars". Star Wars means something different for everyone. What you think Star Wars should be is something that another person may think of as everything Star Wars shouldn't be. And a writer or director who you might think didn't "get it" might be someone who someone else thinks absolutely nailed it.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  24. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    On the contrary..... there really aren't that many elements, not that many polar opposites. The GFFA and it's fandom is not really that expansive and complicated.

25. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Yes there are. I really don't see how anyone can claim otherwise. There are the purists who dislike anything beyond the OT, there are those who like everything Lucas has done but disagree with the new movies, there are those who hated the prequels but liked what Disney has done so far. And there are those who liked all movies. There are those who loved the old EU and never got over it being cast aside. There are those who love the tv-shows and those who think they are a waste of time that should never be considered canon. And all of those groups have multiple sub-divisions as well.

Then you can move on to what people actually want. Some want every movie to be something completely new, because Lucas went out there and tried things instead of repeating the same formular. Some don't want to see things stray too much away from what they got in the past. Some are happy when they get something that is sort of a best-of of Star Wars because it "feels right", others disagree completely, because if they wanted to see something that reminds them of the old movies, they would watch the old movies. Some want the old characters to be like they were 30 years ago, others want them to develop. Some want the old characters to be important, others want to see the new ones take charge. The list goes on and on.

There is absolutely nothing that correctly defines whether someone understands Star Wars or not. The only thing that actually exists, are opinions and personal preferences, which may or may not align with those who make the movies. The idea that someone "doesn't get Star Wars" because he did things a person didn't like, is absurd to say the least.

GregMcP likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.