main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT We've Come Through A Lot Together [OTP Challenge #7 - Ysanne Isard, Yavinelf]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Sith-I-5, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    We've Come Through A Lot Together

OTP Challenge #7 - Yav and Ysanne AU

CHARACTERS

Ysanne Isard - Mid-Forties Coruscanti human female, director of Imperial Intelligence.
    Yavinelf Dangerrescue - Sith Inquisitor, and former Level 28 half-elf Rescue Ranger (Everquest).
    Mitch Nifesta - (referenced only) 2000 year old Twi'lek Force Vampire, and former agent with Republic-era security agency, the Secret Galactic Intelligence Service.
    Timeline: 7.5ABY AU.
    Genre: Angst (eg. some people aren't happy)
    Summary: The lovers have a crisis in their relationship. Left the fresher seat up or something.

Ysanne and Yav' knelt together, in what could be called a panic room, a bare and sterile chamber aboard the Super Star Destroyer Lusankya, that was currently orbiting the planet Thyferra.

Kneeling human femme and seated male half-elf were leaning on each other, arms around each other as best they could manage, Isard had the side of her tear-stained face pressed against his chest, and both were, to some degree, audibly sobbing.

Part of it was relief, part of it was a reaction to their knockout, drag-down argument that they had been having; and the rest was fear, anger, a feeling of betrayal.

Yav had gotten wind of a disaster upon the newly liberated Coruscant, and despite the planet now being in New Republic hands, the former Rescue Ranger had felt the old feelings come to the fore, and headed over there, anxious to aid the survivors in any way that he could.

Naturally, he had commed his girlfriend to tell her that he was on the way, only to learn that it was her ripping her buried Executor-class Super Star Destroyer, up through several city blocks, that had caused the crisis and loss of life in the first place.

He had been surprisingly tranquil about the matter. The milk, albeit a sith tonne of it, had already been spilt.

Ysanne had cautiously broached her concerns about his travel plans: "Err, define, on the way." She had asked into her voice pickup, on the SSD's bridge. "Enroute, or not yet picked up the tickets from Byss City Spaceport?"

"Enroute. Not that far from the Core, really"

"No no no no no no no no no no-" In fact, the longest "no-no-no" in recorded history had ensued as she had had the SSD perform a handbrake turn worthy of Admiral Amilyn Holdo, 25.5 standard years later, and set off on an interstellar intercept course to interdict Yav's shuttle before he could reach Coruscant.

Tractoring him and his ship on board, she had revealed the reason for her panic; she had been planning to release the alien-affecting Krytos virus on the former Imperial Centre, and had not wanted her Norrathian boyfriend down there.

Yavinelf had verbally lit into her, appalled that she could consider doing such a thing, batting away her attempts to argue that it would be what the late Emperor Palpatine would have wanted.

Unable to dissuade her from her plan of action, but determined that she would not unleash that plague, he had played the last sabacc card in the pack, threatening to hypercomm the one being that she still feared, with both her father, and the Emperor, dead.

That Twi'lek security agent that they had known from the Clone Wars, and her legally-recognised uncle, Mitch Nifesta.

"How would he react if he knew what you are planning to do?!" Yav had yelled at her across the plasteel desk in her Ready Room.

Standing opposite him, her breathing shallowed at the mere thought of him on board her Lusankya, stalking the corridors with one of Jorus C'Boath's old JC-embroidered evening slippers (long story) in hand; Ysanne had planted her fists into the table top to keep from wringing them in worry. She knew exactly how that patronising, overly moralistic, colorless Twi'lek would react. He would go kriffin' bananas.

She would be over his knee on some trumped up charges, and then, then, she would probably lose the Lusankya, the Twi'lek again deciding that she was not old enough to be doing her job, and taking her away with him.

She didn't even consider that she was on an outsized 8-mile long Star Destroyer, bristling with turbolasers, with a crew complement completely under her command, whilst Mitch probably still had his rickety 115-metre Consular-class cruiser.

The being had almost single-handedly rescued her from the infamous Lucky Star space station at Avec III, on the edge of Hutt Space.
    Despite being Imperial Intelligence, she hadn't yet been old enough for him to regard her as anything more than a little girl who he had better stop off and buy a floppy-eared furry toy for, to distract her from the carnage that he planned to reap upon anyone who tried to stop them leaving. She had duly been handed it, with strict instructions to look after it, and make sure that it saw nothing bad, and got out safely with them.

Always defiant to attempts to infantilise her, she remembered dropping it on the floor, and Uncle Mitch glaring down at her with such unadulterated malignance that she had snatched it back up and cuddled it to her bosom, kissing its head and murmuring words of apology and comfort.

The Intelligence director looked pleadingly at Yav. "You....you wouldn't?"

"D-dude!" He blurted, anxiety lacing his tone. With some effort, he managed to calm himself enough to regard her with a steely gaze. "You want to unleash a biological weapon upon a civilian population. Drokking try me, Ysanne. Just try me."

Isard relented then, a shaking hand waving about till it anchored the chair, and she settled herself into it, her other forearm on the table, her black-and-white hair caressing the surface under her bowed head. "What do you want me to do with the virus?"

"Do?! Destroy it of course! Drop all stocks and supplies of it into the nearest star. Is it all aboard the ship? And if not, where? How were you going to deploy it?"

Ysanne had haltingly revealed her planning, and under the Inquisitor's watchful gaze, fired the virus stocks into the Thyferran sun.

They had then, mutually agreed to retreat to the Panic Room.

The End

Notes: The
    Lucky Star is fanon created by Flyboy240.

Thanks to Wikipedia's entry on 'types of slippers'.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    That was...quite an unexpected resolution. You have given Ysanne Isard less of her Legends megalomania and, thanks to her boyfriend, she made a wise decision and did not unleash this plague in your take on new canon! And, well, it appears that it matters to her what Mitch thinks. He's an authority, always been. :) But still, it's Yav whom she eventually listens and attempts to think like him.

That was funny in its own weird little way. O_O

EDIT: Whoa, I made the post number 1,101,000 in the subforum for stories. Niiice.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Kahara and Sith-I-5 like this.
  3. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you ever so much for commenting!

Isard probably still has her megalomania, except when it could affect her boyfriend, or affect how he sees her.

As for Mitch, she's had a kill order out for him, for years. They had a clash of wills, during the last years of the Grand Republic, and Mitch clearly had a lasting effect.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    The idea of Mitch still being Ysanne's bogeyman after all this time had me in stitches!

I'm growing increasingly curious about Yav. I didn't realise that he was Force-sensitive in your other fic, and yet even as a Sith Inquisitor the Ranger in him causes him to go all boy scout. At the same time, mass destruction by SSD takeoff is okay but biological weapon is where he draws the line – or, put less humorously, he does come across as a little sithly about civilian casualties. But he's still Ysanne's moral compass in a way here, and the idea that these two characters have a "panic room" routine to overcome the fallout of their arguments makes perfect sense!

Kahara likes this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Hi @Chyntuck

Thank you for reading and commenting.

Yavinelf is not Force Sensitive in the other story, but has a host of magic powers from his Everquest origins.

With the rise of the Empire, and Republic security agencies becoming Imperial ones, the Empire artificially "promoted" Force Sensetivity within him.

At the time, I believe that was a thing (eg. Shira Brie?), but now, looking back, I'm not overly certain.

As for the original disaster, Isard didn't hide the SSD down there, or cause buildings to be built over it.
    Choosing to move possibly the greatest remaining Imperial asset from under what is now Republic territory, isn't quite the same level of maliciousness as unleashing a virus.

What's she supposed to do, just chalk it up to experience, leave it down there and drop the keys off at the Chief of State's apartment?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  6. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks!

I need to call Wikipedia to the rescue about Everquest, because I don't know anything about it, but that will be done before you update the other story (hopefully!)
    Fair enough, and the fact that it is the greatest remaining Imperial asset is an argument to want to keep it even at a high cost – which I think explains the
    "He had been surprisingly tranquil about the matter" reaction. My point was just that there was a costless option: to sabotage it beyond repair and leave it where it was (skipping the bit about the keys :p and possibly never revealing its existence too). I understood this as being an indication that Yav *is* an Imperial at this point of his life and that there is a price worth paying to keep the Empire going. Did I get that wrong?

7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    In hindsight, you are right about Yav being Imperial at this time, sort of passively accepts the spilled milk, albeit, several urns.

Whereas the virus release was a future action, with malicious aforethought.

Chyntuck likes this.
  8. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Yay and Ysanne definitely have an interesting dynamic here, and now I’m curious how a Ranger and the ISB director got together in the first place. It seems like they have some fundamental differences of opinion. To me it seems like Yav falls on the Lawful side of the scale, while Ysanne is more Chaotic.

It made me smile that what finally gets through to Ysanne is Yav’s threat to call in her uncle, Mitch—sort of a “don’t make me tell your father, young lady!” There’s something ironic about the fact the same Iceheart who wouldn’t hesitate to unleash a deadly virus on a world with billions of inhabitants is terrified of her uncle paddling her with Jorus C’baoth’s (!!!) slipper. I guess there’s still a bit of the little girl who followed him out of the Lucky Star, protecting a plushie all the way (another great image :D I’m sure she took the responsibility very seriously.)

This. I think every couple has arguments like this, but it sounds like it’s a regular occurrence for these two!

Thanks for this fun addition to the OTP Challenge! =D=

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    @Raissa Baiard - Thank you so much for reading and reviewing.

The unfinished Get Carter story that I started posting for the Word Race, goes some way towards explaining how Yav and Ysanne paired up, and their first experiences with Mitch.

:D Mitch knows how to make an impression.

Unfortunately for Isard, she never knew Mitch whilst she was a little girl. That's just the way that a being as long-lived as him, regards someone of her age. She was an adult when Mitch turned up, and ordered her to look after the toy.

Well, she better had, if she wants to get rescued.

Mitch is not always the selfless hero that will save you, come what may. Sometimes, there are conditions. If she doesn't want to play ball with the plushie, she can stay on the Lucky Star and wait for Armand Isard, her actual parent, to commit Imperial forces to save her.

As I started writing, Mitch had been summoned, and was outside the Panic Room, waiting for her to emerge. By time I was finishing, Ysanne had opted not to call Yav's bluff, but I still had to address what they were doing in there.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I can certainly see how this would cause a huge fight! But they make a great couple, I really enjoyed their dynamic, especially at the beginning after the fight.
    I'm glad Ysanne has Yav to temper her more... burn it all down mentality.

This cracked me up! It was so descriptive and a fun way to explain just how not happy she was with the idea that Yav might be there.

Great response to the challenge!
    =D=

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Sith-I-5 like this.
  11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you for reading and leaving such a nice review.

I am glad that you like their pairing.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  12. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Been meaning to give this a look over, and am glad I did. :) I too agree that the ending was unexpected for Ysanne—I'm so glad she let Yav change her mind about this whole unleashing the virus business. Of course, the fact that he played the card of the inimitable and formidable Mitch went a long way, too! Good stuff, and definitely a very different take on the "been through a lot together" theme—thanks so much for sharing. :)

Kahara, Sith-I-5 and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you for reading and reviewing, @Findswoman

Indeed, while I have not read all the other entries, I think this had the highest stakes.

Glad you enjoyed seeing Ysanne's Kryptonite, and where Yav draws the line.

14. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Nice story giving us an insighting into a part of Isarde we haven't really seen in the novels. Seeing her actually caring for another person and even have him dissuade her from unleashing the virus. Intresting story :)

15. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you for reading, @Anedon . Glad you liked this side of our Yssi'. :p