main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Han and Leia in the EU - A Discussion Thread (Life Debt spoilers must be tagged)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by unicorn, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    As was pointed out in another thread, Han and Aphra don't know each other when they meet in Vader Down, so it doesn't seem likely unless Han's out of the picture.

2. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I thought Han heard about Aphra by Sana. I doubt we will see Aphra/Sana on screen. I'm bi and I started to think in FinnPoe as a possibility but then KK and others started to laugh about this ship, I don't think we'll see any LGBT in a star wars movie for some years [face_waiting]

3. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Well there was Holdo, but apparently Laura Dern didn't even know her character was pan, and there's never any reference to it in the movie.

Oh yeah I forgot Han hadn't met Alpha before, so she probably doesn't appear in this book. I bet she gets her own standalone at some point though given how popular she is.

Some cute stuff from the official Star Wars site:

Valentine’s Day has arrived and whether you’ve found your own worshipfullness or are on the hunt for a scruffy-looking nerf herder, you can enjoy the most love-filled day in the galaxy with these fun decorated cookies.

These simple sugar cookies are made to look like Princess Leia and the smuggler Han Solo — from Leia’s iconic white dress to the captain of the Millennium Falcon’s vest and striped pants attire — these cookies are a delicious homage to our favorite space-couple. It was a love like no other.

It's just a recipe, but this might be the first positive description of Han and Leia's relationship on the official site in a while, so I'll take it!

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  4. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    awww I want these cookies [face_love]

unicorn likes this.
  5. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    This looks promising for Han/Leia:

In a story spans the decades, from a time before Han and Lando ever met, to a time after the destruction of the Empire, Star Wars: Last Shot features the two biggest scoundrels in the New Republic on their most dangerous adventure yet.

The Empire has been destroyed and smuggler-turned-war hero Han Solo is trying to adjust to domestic bliss with his wife Leia and young son, Ben. Enter Lando Calrissian, who needs Han’s help or all life on Cloud City will be annihilated. Lando is being hunted by a gangster known as Fyzen Gor, and to no one’s surprise, it’s actually Han’s fault. Not long after Han met Chewie and completed the Kessel Run, he and Sana Starros cheated Gor out of getting his hands on a mysterious device. But Gor only knows the culprit was the owner of the Millennium Falcon: Lando Calrissian. In the present, Han and Lando must put together a team, including everyone’s favorite Wookiee, to put a stop to Gor and his nefarious plans. Along the way Lando will realize that he has his own connection to the device, one that goes all the way back to his own days flying the Falcon with the droid L3-37.

Star Wars: Last Shot takes place in three time periods: when Lando owned the Falcon; shortly after Han takes ownership of the Falcon; and not long after the Battle of Endor. And only secrets from all three time periods will help our heroes put a stop to a new threat to the galaxy!

When we last saw Han in Empire's End, he was struggling with setting down and being restless, but it looks like from the description he's settled in and happy at the time Lando finds him. Hopefully Han isn't gone for too long away from his new family. I wonder if Sana or Aphra will be on the team he puts together?

AV-6R7 and BookExogorth like this.
  6. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    TLJ novelization spoilers for Han/Leia:

Han made a Leia figure out of wood the night before the Battle of Endor. It is burned or used during a brief memorial for Han during the evacuation.

Luke abandoned Leia when Kylo turned. Leia was not happy about it.

Leia may suffer/have suffered from ebullism, hypoxia and solar radiation.

Toddler Kylo often played with the dice or showed it around in adoration of his father. Kylo would break stuff around the house with the Force while growing up. Leia and Han would worry behind closed doors, which Kylo did not like.

MrDarth0 likes this.
  7. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Sounds like Kylo may be like:

a young Tom Riddle/Voldemort as a kid.

8. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Not that this will convince those convinced Leia was a terrible mother, but here's some canon evidence that Leia put her family about her work (and not vice versa as so many think):

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  9. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  10. Dominick1216

Dominick1216 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 23, 2013
  11. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Adorable! Daddy Han is the best. The image of Ben falling asleep on him is super cute.

Interesting that he isn't running a shipping company yet, and it sounds like he only recently became leader of the Pilot's Commission? He didn't have a job in Empire's End, so was he a stay at home dad for the first two years of Ben's life?

I'm guessing by the end of the book he realizes he misses the adventuring life and quits his job as leader of the Pilot's Commission and starts his shipping company.

Also wonder why Leia wasn't sleeping in the same bed as Han at 4:30 in the morning?

Amon_Amarth and Jedi Jessy like this.
  12. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    I’m not in the “Leia was a horrible mother” camp, but it’s not unreasonable to think that polical life would have necessitated late nights and early mornings.

unicorn likes this.
  13. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    That would be my guess as well. After all, Mon Mothma is calling her at 4:30.

unicorn and Supreme Leader Woke like this.
  14. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    We did see a bit of that in Legends, even before Leia became Chief of State.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup:

Heir to the Empire

"I'm sorry, Han; I didn't get a chance to tell you. The Bimms sent a message yesterday asking that Luke be there with me for the talks."
    "They did, huh?" A year ago, Han reflected, he would probably have been furious at having a painstakingly crafted schedule flipped at the last minute like this. Leia's diplomatic patience must be starting to rub off on him.
    Either that, or he was just getting soft. "They give any reasons?"
    "The Bimms are rather hero-oriented," Mon Mothma said before Leia could answer, her eyes searching Han's face. Probably trying to figure out just how mad he was about the change in plans. "And Luke's part in the Battle of Endor is rather well known."
    "Yeah, I'd heard that," Han said, trying not to be too sarcastic. He had no particular quarrel with Luke's position in the New Republic 's pantheon of heroes—the kid had certainly earned it. But if having Jedi around to brag about was so important to Mon Mothma, then she ought to be letting Leia get on with her own studies instead of foisting all this extra diplomatic work on her. As it was, he would bet on an ambitious snail to make full Jedi before she did.

"If we don't protect our negotiators, the New Republic will stagnate and wither. Accordingly—" she looked at Ackbar "—you will detail a force to accompany Councilor Organa Solo on her trip back to Bimmisaari tomorrow."
    Tomorrow? Han threw a sharp look at Leia, got an equally surprised look in return. "Excuse me," he said, raising a finger. "Tomorrow?"
    Mon Mothma looked at him, an expression of mild surprise on her face. "Yes, tomorrow. The Bimms are still waiting, Captain." "I know, but—"
    "What Han is trying to say," Leia jumped in, "is that I had intended at this meeting to ask for a brief leave of absence from my diplomatic duties."
    "I'm afraid that's impossible," Mon Mothma said with a slight frown. "There's far too much work to be done."
    "We're not talking about a vacation here," Han told her, trying to remember his diplomatic manners. "Leia needs more time to concentrate on her Jedi training."
    Mon Mothma pursed her lips, throwing glances at Ackbar and Fey'lya. "I'm sorry," she said, shaking her head. "I, of all people, recognize the need to add new Jedi to our ranks. But for now there are simply too many urgent demands on our time." She looked at Fey'lya again—almost, Han thought sourly, as if seeking his permission. "In another year—possibly sooner," she added, glancing at Leia's stomach, "we'll have enough experienced diplomats for you to devote the bulk of your time to your studies. But right now I'm afraid we need you here."

Dark Apprentice

The door chime sounded like a tubular bell through their living quarters. The noise startled Jaina, and her delicately balanced skewer toppled over-- which made her begin to cry.
    Han sighed, and Leia got up with a scowl. "I didn't think we could sit through an entire meal uninterrupted."
    She opened the door, and the ornate plasteel plate hummed aside to reveal a hovering messenger droid that bobbed up and down in the corridor, blinking its lights in a swirl. "Minister Leia Organa Solo, Chief of State Mon Mothma requests your presence immediately in her private quarters for an important consultation. Please follow me."
    Back at the table Han rolled his eyes and glowered at no one in particular as Leia was taken from him again. Jaina continued crying, and now Jacen added his own squalls to the racket. Threepio tried to calm the two children down, completely without effect. Leia looked imploringly at Han, but he gave a short wave of dismissal. "Go on, Mon Mothma needs you."
    She bit her lower lip, sensing the bitterness he tried to cover. "I'll cut it short," she said. "I'll be back as soon as I can."
    Han nodded and turned to his eating as if he didn't believe her.
    Leia felt her stomach knot as she hurried after the hovering droid through the arched, well-lit corridors. She felt a simmering annoyance and stubborn resistance build within her, and she walked with purposeful steps. She agreed to too many things. She bowed her head and trotted anywhere Mon Mothma asked her to go. Well, Leia had her own life, and she had to spend more time with her family. Her career was important too -- crucial, in fact -- and she vowed to do both. But she had to reestablish some priorities and ground rules.
    As she followed the messenger droid into a turbolift that took her to secluded portions of the old Imperial Palace, Leia was actually glad that Mon Mothma had summoned her. She had a few things to say to the Chief of State, and the two of them would have to work out some sort of compromise. But when the droid transmitted the special unlocking code that caused Mon Mothma's armored door to grind aside, Leia felt a cold fingernail twist in her chest.
    Mon Mothma's quarters were too dark, lit only by soft greenish glowing lamps designed to be soothing, restful ... healing. She breathed the sweet tang of odd medicines, and the clinging aftertaste of sickness caught in her throat. Leia stepped forward into the chambers and saw that they had been filled with bright nova lilies and nebula orchids that showered heady perfumes into the air, masking the unpleasant medicinal smell.
    "Mon Mothma?" she said. Her voice sounded small in the enclosed space. Motion off to her right made her turn her head to see a bullet-headed Too-Onebee medical droid. Mon Mothma looked gaunt and skeletal as she lay on a broad bed surrounded by diagnostic equipment. Another smaller droid monitored the readouts. Everything hung in silence except for the faint hum of machinery.
    Leia also saw -- feeling foolish for noticing such a small thing --t hat Mon Mothma kept an array of makeup jars and synthetic skin-coloring agents on her dressing table in a desperate attempt to make herself look presentable in public.
    "Ah, Leia," Mon Mothma said. Her voice sounded pathetically weak, a rustle of dry leaves. "Thank you for coming. I can't keep my secret any longer. I must tell you everything."
    Leia swallowed. All her indignant arguments evaporated like mist under a red giant sun. She sat down in the small padded chair next to Mon Mothma and listened.

16. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
  17. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    That interview is great! I love that he acknowledges Han’s devotion to Leia and Ben and doesn’t make it sound like it’s Han not wanting to settle down and commit.

SUPER excited for this! PLOA anime style comic coming! I didn’t see the Lost Stars one but I heard it was done well so I have faith they’ll do a good version of PLOA.

18. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    Great interview. Sounds like this writer “gets” Han. I certainly got that impression from the book extract, he captured him perfectly.

I don’t like Manga stuff generally, but I might have to make an exception for that. Sounds great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  19. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    A friend of mine got a longer excerpt to Long Shot at Con and she says
    Han took crying/up late Ben into the living room and put on TV to get him to calm down and be quiet so Leia could get some sleep which is why Leia isn’t with him. She also says that Leia starts drinking whiskey with Lando at 5 am but she won’t let Han have any because he’s meeting with the Pilots Commission but she’s allowed to have some because shes only meeting with the security council.

Also Han steps on the SW equivalent of a Lego and swears haha. Something every parent can relate to!

20. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Not exactly Han and Leia, but Harrison remembered Carrie today in Mark's Walk of Fame Star Cerimony:

21. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
  22. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Has anyone picked up the novelization yet? I'm wondering if it's worth it, considering I'm not interested in Reylo at all which makes up most of it...

Here's some good meta on why the "Leia's personality characteristics make her a crappy mother" is such a terrible message to girls and women:

Also, this is cute (we all know what Chewie's talking about):

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    CT-867-5309, Jedi Jessy and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001

New Forces of Destiny clip

Like this one a lot. Leia and Maz meet up before ROTJ and Han’s obviously already told Maz that he’s into Leia before they even got together. because Maz knows who she is and she tells Chewie “she’s a keeper”. You also get to see action oriented Leia and find out how she got her bounty hunter outfit (conveniently just the same size as her lol).

The voice still doesn't really sound like Leia's though and it's throwing me a bit. The Leia they got for Battlefront was dead on for Carrie Fisher.

MattOrgana and Jedi Jessy like this.
  24. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I don't wish to rain on your enjoyment of this short, but I find it very underwhelming. You'd think Leia could come up with such a basic idea as "use a disguise" on her own... Also, that's terribly convient that, as soon as the disguise idea comes up, they just happen to stumble upon a (rather lousy) bounty hunter who's just the right size...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Daneira likes this.
  25. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    "Tell Han, she's a keeper." [face_love]

@LelalMekha That's why some fans prefered if FoD wasn't really canon. It's to children, we understand that need to be simple but when we remember it is canon...

unicorn likes this.