main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Blu-Ray/DVD (US dates: March 13th Digital and March 27th Blu-Ray/DVD)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diego Lucas, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    @Bowen - Did you notice anything new on your 30th viewing that I should be looking for when the BluRay comes out?

2. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    The Steelbook is tempting, though I didn't get it for the others. I have it preordered at the Disney store, just for the litographs, but I am thinking about getting the Target one as well for the extra content.

3. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    lol not especially I’ll be honest :p It was a private screening though!! Had the theater all to myself which was awesome. I love seeing the Lucasfilm logo and seeing STAR WARS on that big screen. It just feels so right.

I’m ready for Solo though I’ll be honest. I love TLJ but yeah, looking forward to what’s next.

4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
  5. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I feel the opposite, I am more interested in the TLJ BR release than the Solo movie. I am nearly counting the days until the release, I am excited to see those deleted scenes! Really hoping for some interviews or commentary by Carrie.

Ody_Mandrell and yanote like this.
  6. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    I understand deleting all scenes that ended up deleted but Luke's Mourning. They sold this trilogy as the return of OT cast so moments like this, that don't move the story forward but are just emotional resonance, would have been appreciated by the audience. I don't think anyone would go "oh, the pacing is suddenly terrible" because 1 min or so long scene of the twins quietly mourning Han from different sides of the galaxy. That scene should have stayed, the rest is rightfully cut.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    burg2774 and Lost_Hope like this.
  7. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I think it's hard to say unless you're in the editing room and you can see how it feels as a whole. And even then, no doubt there would be differing opinions. It's not necessarily the pace of it, it's the flow. It does sound like a nice scene, for sure. But equally, I can see his point about the latter scene on the Falcon conveying much of the same. Can't wait to see the scene either way. Seems like it fits in the "happened offscreen" category.

WebLurker and Ricardo Funes like this.
  8. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Yeah, Deleted Scenes are "happened offscreen" aka lesser canon. Which is why I don't take them into account when I try to predict where they story is going. However, this particular one - Luke and Leia mourning at the same time from a great distances - sounds like something people hoped to see after Han died, and not just in "happened offscreen" way, but a way to have all 3 together. Now, I understand that MF scene with R2 and Leia's hologram is basically it (trio reunited of sorts) but the focus of that scene isn't specifically mourning Han. It's getting Luke to train Rey. Different context. Oh well. Not a big deal.

it may be just me. I'd rather sacrifice something that I find pointless (rathars, for example, not even a good action scene) in favor of a really resonant emotional scene. But I'm not a film-maker and they know their stuff better. :)

NileQT87 and Satipo like this.
  9. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    There is probably not a right or wrong way - everyone would have their feeling on it. It's more, perhaps while the scene is great, put into the edit the flow isn't quite right. Or maybe you or I or someone else would see it and want it in. I was just really saying that unless we see it in the cut as it was at one point, it's hard to know which way we'd come down for sure :)

WebLurker likes this.
  10. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    My hate for Deleted Scenes stems from seeing how great deleted ending of POTC:DMC was compared to truncated version they filmed for the next movie. I really didn't need to know that there was an amazing version where Davey Jones bows to Lord Beckett that got replaced by something mundane. From that moment forward, I never took Deleted Scenes seriously because if they were to be taken seriously they wouldn't be deleted. Cash grab without real relevance.

Long story short, damn you Gore Verbinski! [face_cow]

11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The difficult thing about assessing deleted scenes is that they're always viewed in isolation. There are many deleted scenes across the saga that hypothetically might work if reinserted into their respective films, but it's tough to know for sure unless you've actually worked on the film. We often focus on editing as a shot to shot, and scene to scene conceptually. Micro editing like this is important no doubt, but seeing the bigger picture with macro editing is even harder, but more vital to the storytelling.

WebLurker, EHT and Satipo like this.
  12. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Agreed. Just because I may like the scene in isolation it doesn't mean it would work in the context of the movie. There's a reason why they were removed from the final version so large swath of people won't see them, and as far we know there won't be any restoration in something like the Director's Cut/Extended Edition.

EHT and Satipo like this.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have never looked forward more to a film's deleted scenes as I am actually elated at the idea of having the day to day environs of the Jedi community on Ahch-To even more fleshed out.

jaqen and Satipo like this.
  14. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    I'm disappointed that alternative Phasma scene wasn't Finn knocking off her arm at the elbow. I'm sure that happened at some point cause Bothan-Spy was right about everything he reported, and may be even confirmed later like saber floating through space (TFA original opening). I'm patient. :)

Lost_Hope likes this.
  15. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I think a great example of this challenge is the Leia and Kor scene in TFA. It's really quite good, is set up for something that happens later, and provides background and worldbuilding, but it unfortunately doesn't have a place in the final cut. By necessity it must happen before Takodana and so it arguably would spoil the Leia 'steps out of the transport' reveal, but it also doesn't fit into the Finn and Rey story flow. There's literally no place for it where it wouldn't feel out of place and jarring.

Ironically, I think a lot of the first half of Rogue One has quite a few of this kind of jarring cutaway. The editing in that first act is a mess.

ewoksimon and Satipo like this.
  16. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Completely agree.

17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I saw The Last Jedi for probably the final time in theaters last week. Totally unplanned last minute rushed sort of thing. The trailers before the movie finish and the Lucasfilm Logo comes up and it dawned on me - I'm seeing Star Wars again in a movie theater. I love it. No other movies start like that. There is that moment of black and then the opening title. It does feel so right.

Satipo likes this.
  18. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    I'm going to watch Solo for sure but i feel much more excited by the bluray release of The Last Jedi: i had not enjoyed a SW movie that much since ROTJ back in 1983!

Ody_Mandrell, Kalmanta and Satipo like this.
  19. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    I'm most interested in Throne Room stunt reel if there's any. I hope they show how the fight was choreographed, how actors trained, etc.

NileQT87 likes this.
  20. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    If I recall correctly, nothing was replaced in the "Beckett gets Jones's heart scene," the final cut just ended it before the Dutchman came. (It could've been an interesting addition, but it was arguably unnecessary, I can see a case that Jones' last scene in this movie being him realizing that Jack still destroyed his life despite loosing was better, and I personally think the movie ended fine as was, but mileage may always vary).

Deleted scenes main purpose is to take a look behind the scenes. Especially nice DVDs will also explain why they were cut in the first place, offering more look into the storytelling process. I suppose all bonus features are a cash grab in one way or another, but that's what I think the scenes are for. To show you more of the how the story was told and the process of getting it right.

21. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    that's a good point about the purpose of the deleted scenes though they never show everything that was cut. I don't know how they make selection but I know that LOTR had quite a few scenes left on the editing floor that didn't even make it into EE (Eowyn vs Orcs in the Glittering Caves and Eowyn and Faramir wedding though I understand why the latter was scrapped completely).

22. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Thanks.

I'm sure that they select stuff they either think is really interesting, were attached to and wanted to see get out somehow, or stuff that's complete enough to stand as is.

But, yeah, you do get strange instances where stuff is never released as if the makers don't want to draw attention to it. My pet peeves are that none of the Rogue One deleted scenes got out (much less any info on what the original version of the movie was pre-reshoots) and that nothing of Mary Jane in Amazing Spider-Man 2 was made public (I didn't like the movie, but I would've been curious to see how that element worked).

23. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    It could also be like MCU. Character dies in the movie but lives in the deleted scene. They tend to shoot several versions of the same thing and then show in deleted scenes which is great to see how the process of eliminating scenarios worked. Or not so great if someone likes the discarded version (cause deleted scenes are that in essence - discarded stuff whether they are contradicted in the movie or not) better.

24. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    So I can pick this up on Xbox Store from the 13th... neato

25. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I hope the making of doc goes in-depth into how that scene was put together, but in the meantime this is a really good and comprehensive article on how it was pulled off if you're interested.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-last-jedi-lightsaber-battle/

Ody_Mandrell likes this.