main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Star Wars Time Travel Thread Discussion for Future movies.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by black_saber, Feb 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I Wanted to start a thread because I read that a rebels episode made that time Travel was possible, So I wanted to discuss and ask how we fans Feel about it. So I think it should be fine if they do it right, I mean the Jedi did use the Force for all kinds of power including seeing into the future..

What Are the chance of Time Travel beyond the Saga? Here is the link https://www.gamesradar.com/star-war...non-how-will-it-affect-a-galaxy-far-far-away/

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  2. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    “Impossible to see the future is.” - Yoda.

I'm sure Filoni is on a mission to screw up SW as much as possible.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  3. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I think the odds of this every appearing in a movie are slim to none. It also isn't really something that I would expect back in any animated shows either. They basically removed the access to this by the destruction of the temple. And that is a good thing, because something like that really shouldn't be in Star Wars. Even though the explanation of the place itself, the cosmic force connecting everything that has ever and will ever happen, that was rather elegant.

On a different note, what is it with temples or similar places of great power always getting destroyed in the end?
    I don't even mean in Star Wars but in movies in general. Seems kind of weird that accessing a temple once always leads to its destruction. That can hardly have been the purpose of the thing. Close the portal, it destroys itself. I mean, huh? Why would you build something that destroys itself after accessing it once?

4. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Makes sense if people travel there, change something and travel back to change something else.

5. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    My own theory is that if the Force is in control of everything and the Jedi are attuned to the Force then they could see a version of the Future that the Force wants to play out. That's all well and good until the Sith come along and upset the balance making the possible future less certain.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It made it possible, but at the same time it also might have destroyed the means of getting to the place. Also time travel really is not the right word.

themoth likes this.
  7. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    After digesting this further, the bending of space and manipulation of time is really not a new concept with Star Wars. In fact, it was alluded to in the Darth Pleguies novel. Page 249 says that in Pleguies archives he has holocrons of sith masters that alleged to be able to become invisible, fly. bend time and space to their will. I found that quote in the book interesting because in Rebels we have seen the Inquisitor's use the force and their twirly lightsabers fly in the air, then we get this episode with the portal. So its all possible, just not something that happens every day. The reality is that Star Wars under Disney has changed a lot. The force is much more pervasive and powerful than back when we had GL's movies and the old expanded defunct universe.

Just looking at both TCW and Rebels, the force is very powerful. When you move on to the three movies that have come out the force plays a significant part. Heck, RO made the kyber crystal's the main reason you get that super laser while in the prior canon it was technological marvels. The novels and the new canon comic books are also following that path. Future works are going to show even more of the force and its capabilities. The new one is if true, the leaked material from TLJ says something to the effect of hidden force something in the unknown regions. I didn't read the whole and decided to wait for the novel on Tuesday, but if its true, even more has the pendulum shifted.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Vizzy91 likes this.
  8. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    This thread should have the word "SPOLIER" in its title.

For the record, if you haven't seen the episode, its AMAZING, and they handled the concept of time travel brilliantly, and integrated into the SW/Jedi/Force lore perfectly.

Vinylshadow likes this.
  9. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The episode was amazing, but, bare in mind that not everyone wants to see time travel, time manipulation, space bending or stuff like that. In all fairness, Rebels really has brought in different types of force abilities into fore. I like it and the biggest thing about it is that its not a constant thing. It works in certain places, situations, scenes, etc. It's not an all out super battery thing that can be done on a constant basis. That's what I like about it. The jedi temple was special in lothal, but now its gone so there is no going back to change time thingy cause the temple caved in itself. The inquisitors could fly with their lightsabers, but, by the time of ANH there gone. So that's pretty good there.

Vizzy91 likes this.
  10. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Dave did good.

Vizzy91 likes this.
  11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    So there's hope for the "Rey is Shmii" theorem.

Darthur C. Clarke likes this.
  12. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    I made this argument in the Lit forum:
    If Yoda is correct, and always in motion is the future,
    And we have a place that links different points in time,
    Then, it must also link those points in time in the different states depending on where the motions to the future takes it,

Boom, Star Wars multiverse.

I would not be overly surprised knowing Filoni's affinity for Legends, if he deliberately makes this part of the Rebels finale. Rebels has Thrawn, Thrawn's success at putting together the Empire shortly after Endor is the chief place the current canon diverges from the old canon. I could really see this being explicitly laid out somewhere in the finale, that some choice Ezra or Ahsoka makes causes the timeline to diverge, thus making the old Legends not erased per se, but an alternate universe/timeline. Boom, old fans are happy (maybe?) and you also get the new ST timeline.

There are about a thousand different ways they could have handled Ahsoka's fate to carry her forward to the finale. It was a deliberate choice to use time travel, which is arguably the messiest way to do anything if you're keeping a clean canon. This has to have some play down the line. There's simply no way the story group allowed time travel into the canon unless they had one or more very specific plans with it.

13. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    That’s my take. Ezra’s action was ‘one and done’ with the Temple now inaccessible. The concept is there but it’s unlikely to ever be explored again.

Vizzy91 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  14. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I hope it doesn’t make its way into the films. If it does then of course people will say well it was established in Rebels season whatever and episode so and so. Plus it was featured in the EU novel whatshisname. But for me that kind of stuff is in the minority I think in terms of the ratio of fans/cinema goers that watch the films vs the EU material, and time travel comes off as all a bit Star Trek to me, a convenient (arguably lazy), way to change what’s come before it. So please keep it out of the films.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Lt. Hija likes this.
  15. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    I just saw the episode yesterday and I did not post spoiler because we don't know if Time Travel is going to be in future movies or TV shows.

16. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    This concept has been here from the onset. Dave Filoni didn't make it up, this was in George Lucas's playbook.

Vizzy91 likes this.
  17. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I really dislike time travel in Star Wars.

Not many things which will make me jump off but this is one of them, if it ever crosses over into the films then I'm out.

18. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    It may be a slim chance for time travel judging how the rebels episode ended.

19. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The way Rebels ends is cool and twisty, and it took a little bit for me to truly get it.

But you couldn't play that game twice. You couldn't (or shouldn't) do an Ezra on Rey.

Vizzy91 and LANDO_ROCKS like this.
  20. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Time travel or other dimension types of deals like the world between worlds will never be a part of the movies. The stuff you saw in TLJ will probably be as crazy as the movies get.

21. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I agree. Although I'm personally interested in the theme and (good!) stories about time travel (e.g. Twilight Zone) I dont feel that it should belong into any Star Wars film. Star Trek has used in abundantly, Lost played with it, but IMHO all interesting time travel stories have already been told.

Why did the Back to the Future Trilogy or the Terminator movies work well?

Because time travel is the story premise.

If you have good stories to tell, then you really don't need time travel. If you use time travel... [face_thinking]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    AndyLGR likes this.
  22. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    Hyperdrives bend time and space to get from star to star(sure it still takes time to get from point A to point B but it is still Time Travel).Time Travel in Star Wars has been a thing for some time just in a "lesser" degree then with some Sci Fi show/movies/novels.For me this is just a good use of a the Force and a good way of showing that the Force is far beyond what most understand and can ever wish to do.The Force is not some "thing" the Force is "Everything" Time,Space,Life and Death.Though i do wish Ashoka would have died fighting Vader but she still may have a bigger part to play then we all know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.