main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RX_Sith, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    The Force is contagious.

Birkendoc likes this.
  2. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    I wouldn't mind still Finn being FS just because I feel like he'd make a great Jedi when it comes to his mindset and personality. But unfortunately, unless JJ wants to do it, it won't happen :( But damn would it be nice to have another three-person duel like in TPM, AtoC and RoTS. And it would at least leave the future of the Jedi in good hands presumably post-IX, even if Rey and Finn don't become conventional Jedi. But at the same time, I feel like Finn would certainly be not be the conventional Jedi, as he his story has a lot of loose ends to tie up.

Rey, I feel, would be the more adventurous and free-spirited Jedi as well, though I feel like TLJ kinda rushed in tying up her loose ends. With a myriad of unsatisfying answers to all the questions about her [face_laugh] (conveniently force-picked with loser drunk parents. got it? k moving on).

And him being Force-Sensitive doesn't take anything away from the story.His family, his past, his people, maybe finding DJ, saving children from being kidnapped, getting revenge on the FO. There's alot of things they could explore with him in a comic series or something.

But it would be just as satisfying to see a non-Force User take out the KoR (and destroy the FO from the inside out).

EDIT: and as of right now, there's more believable evidence for him being FS than there was for Leia at the end of ESB, so why not.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  3. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    It's too bad that LucasFilm seems to have no interest at all in people that aren't force users except as mortars or near-mortars there to inspire force users to take up the call. I'm going to be honest, I don't expect LucasFilm to allow Finn or any of the other normals for that matter anywhere near the level of capability to successfully defeat force users in single combat. It would be nice but I'm not holding my breath. I think they've painted themselves too far into a corner with Kylo and Rey for that to happen.

4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Also Nakia is arguably the conscience/heart of the enture film, and it's HER perspective on things that the movie basically plays up as the most "right" by the end.

5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Mortars? Do you mean martyrs? Mortars are something you launch grenades with ;)

Of course Lucasfilm wouldn't allow any of that, because it makes very little sense. The closest thing we ever got to a non-force user beating a force-user in single combat was Jango Fett vs. Obi Wan, and that only came to be because Obi Wan's goal was to capture Jango, while Jango was free to try and kill Obi Wan. Not to mention the help of Boba. To ask for a non force-user to beat a force-user one-on-one is quite a lot. When multiple people attack, sure, with special circumstances, sure, maybe you could even get a lesser one into a trap, but to win in single combat doesn't really fit to what we've seen so far.

Finn doesn't need to be a force-user or force sensitive, nor does he need to beat one in single combat to be important to the story. Han, Leia and Lando never had to do that, and they were still essential to the story. Padme played a big role in the big battles of TPM and AOTC as well. All you need to do, is set up the right people against each other, have everyone involved in a way that suits their skills and capabilities.

Setting up Rey and Ben isn't "painting yourself into a corner", it is the logical way to go. When it comes to "boss fights", someone who can't use the force has little place in facing off against someone who can.

6. modaubr

modaubr Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    Tbh, 'logic' is not really an adjective that I would associate with SW in general and the sequels in particular. Anything can happen if the people in charge decide to do so. In fact it's even the fundation of SW : the force is just a plot device to make things happen, even the most illogical ones. And this is precisely because it would be unexpected and illogical that it could be interesting to see a peasant defeat a force user : revolutions are precisely defeats of natural orders and this is why we discuss, analyze and remember them.

But I agree with you : I don't see that coming in IX.

7. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Point of Order...General Grievous defeated multiple Jedi Knights, hence the lightsabers on his belt....his collection. Jango Fett killed a Jedi master on screen by himself with a blaster during AOTC. That's all film canon....so it's possible for Finn to take down a force users....Especially since he managed to strike Kylo Ren despite being completely outclassed and unfamiliar with a Lightsaber. That strike is Raw talent and a little luck...imagine what happens if Finn actually trains....especially if it's with Rey...the pair improving their various skills together.

Hopeless and modaubr like this.
  8. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Finn was the first person to ignite and use the blue lightsaber (also he used it in two fights). Make this man a Force User, Lucasfilm!

9. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Grievous was more machine than organic and Fett was the perfect soldier, carefully selected by the Kaminoans.

10. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    So, you've decided that Finn, whose already hit higher than he should by striking Kylo Ren, is unable to achieve that level of skill...especially now that he's found his place?

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If Finn is the more rational and level-headed fighter, which he is, then he can beat Kylo, Force sensitivity or not. Kylo, like Anakin in AOTC, fights emotionally.

12. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Finn, is an experienced trooper not to mention, Phasma's best.. He's got the whits to beat most with emotional fighting styles, like phasma.. she was angry as can be..

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Yes, obviously. Don't forget that Jango also had his toys when fighting Obi-Wan. Pretty sure that they will bring Phasma back for a rematch for him.

14. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    So...they're going to bring back Phasma....when they could have Finn face of against the KoR, one of Luke's fallen students and/or Kylo Ren....WHY? He's already beaten her...as for Jango...he gun downed a member of the Jedi order with nothing more than a blastar so...yeah we've seen Finn's a good shot...having him kill koR or one of luke's fallen students is well within his skill set.

15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Jango shot a Jedi who wasn't even facing him, that's hardly "beating him one on one". The Jedi faced Dooku, and didn't pay any attention to him. That's what I meant with special circumstances. Doing that isn't the same as actually taking on such an enemy directly.

Grievous doesn't work as an example either. He is basically a robot with four arms who doesn't have the disadvantages of a normal body but who can act like a machine instead. In no way is that comparable to Finn, who is a regular human.

I don't see how Finn getting in a lucky shot on a badly wounded Kylo Ren - who was toying with him to the point of not really caring at all - is in any way proof of what Finn could achieve. This was purely a case of a far more powerful character not taking him seriously, thus allowing him to get in one lucky shot that came out of nowhere. Once that happened, Kylo Ren started to give an ounce of effort and the fight was over right away.
    While Kylo Ren is certainly anything but an average force user, anytime the force will come into play, Finn is at a huge disadvantage. Under the right circumstances, beating a force-user is possible, facing one in a one-on-one isn't really one of those situations. There isn't really anything to suggest that Finn is a great soldier at this point either. He's certainly grown and has shown that he can handle himself, but that doesn't exactly compare to a bounty hunter who was chosen as template for clone-troopers.

There isn't really a reason for Finn to take on any particular enemy in a one-on-one anyway. Han never took on any specific enemy, unless you take his feeble attempts to shoot at Vader into consideration. Leia never faced any such enemy either. Nor did Lando, or Chewie, or Padme. Having Finn face off with Phasma made a ton of sense due to the story of the two, but that part is over now. There isn't really any reason to bring her back (again), nor for Finn to take on any specific enemy on his own.

16. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Not right, said Jedi then TURNED to face Jango and blocked his first two shots before going down.

Because it still shouldn't have happened. Kylo Ren has spent YEARS learning to fight with a Lightsaber...and he takes a shot from a guy who has no ability with the force and no training with a Lightsaber? It says something about Finn that he managed even that considering the odds.

Because Finn isn't Leia or Han, and his training and background gives him a plausible reason and ability (especially if there's a few years between movies) to be able to take down a Force user.

17. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    I understand us thinking about finn's skillset in regard to him fighting kylo/force users, but the films have depicted him as a janitor. At this point, I can't imagine finn surviving a fight with kylo ren.

TheLastHaterOfZero likes this.
  18. Troopa212

Jul 19, 2016
    That's what I meant. Sorry, it was pretty late at night when I made that post and I'm usually a pretty good speller.

19. Troopa212

Jul 19, 2016
    Let me add to that canonically, Finn is already trained to fight force users per the BTA book.

20. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Kylo is also unstable...and it's possible that he'll start to lose it as his attempts to lead the First Order...fail. Something Finn could exploit...especially if Rian Johnson thought enough of Finn's head game that he initially planned to have him screw with Phasma's by pointing out SHE lowered the shields.

modaubr likes this.
  21. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The problem is that Finn "being Phasma's best student" so far has been confined to the realm of EU stuff. In the films, there's nothing to indicate that at all. Heck he needed a distraction to beat her (and she's a running punchline in pop culture at this point).

And given how the ST has ESCALATED the "specialness" of the Force powers if anything, I don't see them letting a non Force User do anything of consequence to Kylo unfortunately.

22. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    At this point, Finn is a bug in the machine, an Anomaly...which is absolutely perfect for him if they play it right. Look at it this way, Finn defeating Kylo Ren or his KoR proves just how FLAWED the FO concept is as they WASTED his talents on make-work.

As for their willingness to have Force Users beaten by Non-Force users...well Sabine Ren got the better of Kanan in Star Wars Rebels...and that is just a recent example.

23. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
  24. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    John hosted an AMA on reddit today. He's got a bright future ahead of him I think. He's definitely infatuated with the Sci-Fi genre, so I expect to see him around a lot (also makes me wonder how many Pac Rim movies we'll actually get?), and he plans on playing a villain in the near future. Already a producer and everything. I think he might've thrown some shade at Rian because someone asked him some advice on being an actor/filmmaker, and he said basically to make sure to work with a writer/director who's open to other people's ideas and open to feedback and creativity. Makes you wonder [face_laugh]

But really though, I hope the guy the best. And I hope to see his role really evolve, not just in IX, but in all future SW content as well. He could really grow into someone big like Denzel or Samuel L Jackson if he plays his cards right. He's off to a great start.

EDIT: after seeing the finale of Rebels, I can honestly say I hope he works with Filoni one of these days. Would definitely do his character some good

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  25. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Mark Hamill will be proud of his son
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.