main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Rise of Skywalker soundtrack discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Seagoat, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    A bit early to discuss this, true. Solo hasn't even been released yet and there's not so much as a teaser for IX. But that doesn't mean this is not a topic worthy of discussion! Plus, this thread will be a thing at some point, anyways, so

We got confirmation a while back that Williams would return for IX, to no one's surprise. However, we just recently got some news that he's also said that IX will likely be his last SW movie. Article here: https://heroichollywood.com/john-williams-episode-ix-last-star-wars/

While I'm saddened to hear this, I'm also not particularly shocked - and the man deserves a break. By IX's release, he'll be 87 years old. To score a whole nonology over frigging 40+ years is unheard of, and, at least in my opinion, his quality of work has been consistently stupendous, and he's certainly redefined what it means to score movies, especially with his work in Star Wars.
    So, Mr. Williams, with the greatest respect, thank you so much for all your hard work over the past four decades, and I couldn't be more excited to hear his last hurrah for SW!

Worth noting, of course, is that it is not the last LucasFilm movie he intends to score - we've still got Indy 5 to look forward to!

2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Maybe after IX he could just do one or two themes for a movie. Kinda like Solo..

But if IX is indeed his last. Will make IX even more emotional for me.. :(

I hope IX has little more orchestra to it than VII-VIII.. Can't wait.

christophero30 likes this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think IX will indeed be his last.

Jo Lucas and christophero30 like this.
  4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I'm sure it will be.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    He’ll be 88 when the film comes out.

6. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yeah. It's so great he's managed to score all the Saga films.

7. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    I really think he is going to come out with something truly special for Episode IX in honour of his journey in composing Star Wars for the past 40 years or so ( by 2019 ). I just can't imagine how emotional it will be not just watching how this amazing saga is going to end, but listening to probably one of the last scores from the greatest composer of our time. It's going to be a milestone in history. Appreciate what we have now, I guess. :)

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I'm certainly glad he will be composing Episode 9. I hope all goes well between now and film release. I also think we'll get something pretty spectacular, as he knows this is his last Star Wars film. I also think JJ being back in the director's chair means the film will be spotted with JW per usual, rather than the weird way they did the score for TLJ with the temp track of SW music being given to John.

9. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    one thing's for sure, the end credits will be more emotional than anything in the film.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I agree with that...

11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm also hoping for that. The full version of the ROTS end credits sort of went for that, since it was presumed the end of SW at the point. But regardless of if IX ends the Skywalker Saga or not, since JW plans on it being his last, I certainly hope he goes out with a bang

12. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I really liked the theme he wrote for Anakin fighting Obi Wan in ROTS. That was epic. His prequel music was amazing. Sad that this will be his last SW score.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  13. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Indeed, his last Star Wars score but likely not his last for Lucasfilm. There will be 1, likely two Indy movies in the 2020s (and starring Harrison Ford!). John Williams is a few years younger than composer Ennio Morricone who, incidentally, won an Oscar a few years ago.

John Williams = Tom Brady = Lebron James

Still great past what should be their 'primes'

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    @Seagoat, I am 100% in concurrence at your opening post. IMO the emotional weight of knowing IX will be JW's last SW score is moving enough, regardless of how the film itself turns out. I'm kind of a major "completionist," and I just think it's incredible that he is able to score ALL of the main saga episodes!! It would've really messed up my internal balance if he were to miss just that last one!

Larsonator and Seagoat like this.
  15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Is it weird that I would love to hear the Throne Room Finale from ANH at the end of Episode IX? To me it seems like it could be appropriate in a few ways; we ended the first saga film released with it, and we'd end the last with it-kind of bookending the saga in that way. Also it's a very majestic and celebratory piece that really has a tone of victory and finality to it. Assuming (hopefully) Episode IX ends with an actual ending, it would fit perfectly as an iris out not only for IX, but for the saga as a whole.

Also it's my favorite soundtrack score piece of all time...so, there's that...:p

I know it seems like rehashing, but considering there's been so much of that done in the ST already, (opening of TLJ not the least) why not end with a bang?! If JW is up to making something new that's actually even MORE majestic to end off the whole thing, then great-but IMO these are big "shoes" to fill!

I know this is technically a double post-but seeing as how my last post was over a month ago...........;)

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    cwustudent and Sarge like this.
  16. kyloten

kyloten Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2018
    If I had one wish for this movie and this score, I would ask that John be given the opportunity to create his greatest score yet. His scores for TFA and TLJ were both great, but I'd love to see a little more from him on his last go. Here are a couple things that I'd love to happen:
    1) John excels when there's a scene that is benefitted by choir. His choral arrangements are stunning. I'd love to see more of that.
    2) I want an opportunity for him to create a death piece. There have been a couple major deaths in the sequel trilogy, but Han's was a too short for a full piece and Luke's wasn't sad enough for a full-blown funeral or death piece. Honestly, it could be anything as long as John rips my heart out with it like Anakin's Betrayal and the Vader vs Luke section of Battle of Endor II did.
    3) I want a battle theme! I don't think either new film has had a battle that would be benefitted substantially by its own theme. But should IX have a huge, high-stakes, emotional duel a la Anakin vs Obi-Wan, I would love a theme for it.

Other than that, he really should just keep doing what he's been doing. I'd also love to see Qui-Gon's Funeral theme or pretty much any more of the prequel themes make a return, but I know that can't happen.

IlhamKamaruddin and Skydoll like this.
  17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I am fine with him doing more of what he's been doing. However, I want the ending music of Episode 9 to be something NEW. Not the Throne Room again, not the Binary Sunset arrangement of the Force theme again. Something new.

18. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I would vote for some great new arrangement of Rey's Theme. It's one of my favorites of the saga, and we got teased with some of it's possibilities in TLJ.

BookExogorth likes this.
  19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah I could roll with that.

20. Skydoll

Skydoll Jedi Master star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    I love the end titles of ROTS for that very reason. It's about the most epic end title sequence in cinematic history! I wondered how he'd top it when TFA came out, but of course he didn't do the obvious thing, and inverted it, giving us something reflective, quiet and hopeful. Similar for TLJ, really. Williams is nothing if not the consummate storyteller, and he knows exactly what emotional undercurrents to play to when we're leaving the movie theater. But yeah, for all sorts of reasons, Ep IX is gonna be highly anticipated, but it'll be his final curtain on Star Wars... and that's going to be emotional. For me, the music's going to be one of the biggest attractions.

21. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    What colour scheme do you think the Star Wars logo be for episode XI? I bet you 1000 republic credits it's going to be blue. TFA was the traditional gold. TLJ is red.

22. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Blue is cool.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah Blue is my vote.

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Do we have any info yet as to whether John Williams has started working on the Episode IX score or not?

25. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I already know I am going to be in tears at the end of this movie, it's going to be extremely emotional knowing that the saga is coming to an end. I can only imagine that Williams is going to produce a score that will only magnify this moment. It is going to be one of the most notable scores in film history, if I were to bet on it. The final scene will be the most beautiful thing, with an amazing Williams score behind it. Mark it down.

KyleKartan and IlhamKamaruddin like this.