main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chemicalsam

chemicalsam Jedi Knight

Mar 6, 2017
    If you don't mind me saying that's a damn good quote, exactly how I've been feeling since I saw the movie. Now in Ep. 9 we can see the new Jedi rise, Luke went to Crait as a force projection to create a new Legend of Luke Skywalker for a new Rebellion, a new Jedi Order. He didn't just go there so he could die anyway later, he went there to save his sister and the rebellion. He turned himself into a myth/legend and a complete badass. I cannot wait to see what will happen next, I haven't been this excited to see a new movie in so long.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Do not post videos that contain pirated footage here - we have strict rules against that.

3. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Agreed. It's sad that it seems the director hasn't seen a single Star Wars movie, or understood them at all.

I doubt that GL's original script for the sequels would have had Luke like this. The trailer and TFA also suggested that Luke had gone to the First Jedi Temple for a reason?

Luke was always hopeful. That binary sunset feel/vibe was always there. I could have understood it had (and possibly they could show this in flashback in the finale) say Luke lost his beloved wife, or thought his action had resulted in the death of his daughter (Rey cough Rey). But it feels all over the place.

I wish we had had more of that Luke and R2D2 moment. Now that was Star Wars. But as for the rest, even in TFA I wondered what I was watching. Since I don't really feel much love or care that much about the new characters. The ones I do (e.g. Rose's sister, the pilot who sacrificed herself at the start of the movie), they kill off instantly.

This isn't how Star Wars, or the Force works! At least not from what I understood when watching the OT and then the PT and then all 6 films before walking in to the cinema to see TFA and TLJ?!

arjank, MS1, Darth Smurf and 2 others like this.
  4. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Luke remained hopeful. Just not in the way you suspect. His hope was in the Force itself, not the Jedi. He took a Lew'el approach to the Force known as the Tide. He believed that this notion that the Light side of the Force belonged to the Jedi was vanity and that it was time for the Jedi to end to make way for a new form of Light side use. Only, he couldn't figure out what it should be and couldn't bring himself to formally end the Jedi Order as the last of his kind.

However, in the absence of Light side use the Cosmic Force found Rey and the Jedi from beyond influenced her to pick up the saber and take her first steps and find the island and eventually the Jedi texts and she's done exactly that.

Martoto77 and Kalmanta like this.
  5. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    What an amazing superhero origin story!

6. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Edit. Thought this was a different thread.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  7. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    What is this even meant to mean?

Martoto77, TK327 and Satipo like this.
  8. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, that's weird. It's OK for the force to conceive Anakin Skywalker, but God forbid it chooses another vessel as its champion. Every time I see that kind of thinking, I'm glad they opened it up again. The Skywalker exclusivity is a great thing to be rid of.

9. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    It is a different thread. ;)

TK327 likes this.
  10. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    @Satipo , I never liked the chosen one idea or conceived by the force idea with Anakin Skywalker either. I thought it was silly the first time. I never thought they would go that route again, but I guess I was mistaken. There were a lot of things done in the sequel trilogy so far that I never thought they would do again, like having another skywalker fall and become pretty much another Vader; another Jedi purge; another Death Star; etc.

But, since this is the Luke/ Mark Hamill thread, does anyone think that Luke will be in the next film? Didn’t Mark Hamill make a comment about being an “ unemployed actor” in a comment to someone from Guardians of the Galaxy? Someone posted a series of tweets. I think it was probably in the Sanctuary.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Shadao, Solo88 and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  11. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I think it's even money that all Jedi known to have merged with the force will be represented in IX.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah, I would already be counting on IX revisiting all who have become one with the Force at the conclusion... even moreso since the belabored emphasis on it being "the conclusion of the Skywalker Saga".

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I definitely expect Force ghost Luke in episode IX.

Satipo likes this.
  14. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    I really dont see that happening. Theres already too many characters to deal with and they are underdeveloped as it is. It would be a huge mistake for them not to have Lukes force ghost show up though. There's too many loose ends with his character. He and Rey parted on bad terms, If they redeem Kylo they need to make peace. I really hope theres no more Yoda though. I have a soft spot for him, but hes over used now. If there's another force ghost it needs to be Anakin or Obiwan.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  15. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah. Some kind of moment involving all the past force spirits, etc would definitely be something I could see them doing. You can easily do that without taking any focus away from Rey and Luke - which is super easy to come back to in a positive way.

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  16. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    If “Skywalker exclusivity” was a bad thing, the OT must have sucked for you. I mean, not that exclusivity was ever at any point actually a thing because there were always chosen non-Skywalkers with plentiful force abilities. So I’m assuming by “Skywalker exclusivity” you mean the story was about the Skywalkers in this, you know, Skywalker Saga.

Weird that one must think there was something wrong with SW saga films of the past to appreciate how wonderful it is that TLJ fixed it.

17. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I love Star Wars, but please get rid of the Skywalkers, the Jedis, The Sith, the opening crawl and all the other stuff.
    (That could be indeed a sarcastic quote from Mark in an interview)

18. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Definitely lose all that, but keep the space fascists versus ragtag good guys story forever. That’s the one to redo over and over and over.

19. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    Give the people what they want! KILL LUKE!

20. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    If Luke cannot have a biological family, then let him have a family of trained Jedi who would carry out his teachings and legacies to newer generations. It is hypocrisy to proclaim the importance of moving beyond the Skywalkers when you create a situation where Skywalkers are needed more than ever. Had Rey been one of many living students under Luke Skywalker's wing, her blood heritage is irrelevant. But since she is a total stranger with a complete mysterious background who would have even less Jedi training time than Luke under Obi-Wan, it practically demanded her to be a blood Skywalker in order for her to bond with Luke in a short amount of time as well as offering a quick way of rebuilding Luke's destroyed legacy.

It's funny how Anakin has children in two forms: Blood and Adopted. His blood being his own children with Padme, and his adopted being Ahsoka.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  21. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I think that, although not overly seriously, this has been a let down for Mark ever since 1983 when George informed him of Jedi chastity. And since then he's taken some solace in presuming that Luke's destiny is to be the sage hermit, who eventually out-Ben's Obi-Wan.

Achto Luke isn't exactly what Mark had in mind as the reward for not getting the girl and going on more film adventures immediately post ROTJ.

I wonder how exactly Obi-Wan would have reacted if some potential padawan happened to find him on Tatooine and wished to be trained?

22. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    I'm pretty sure that's not what he's saying at all. The Skywalker story line was/is extremely intriguing, but what @Satipo is saying (I think) is that if they are going for this idea that there are vessels of the force that help bring itself into balance, then those vessels shouldn't be limited to one lineage. Star Wars is a massive story, with the potential for a massive history, and the Skywalker lineage story line looks at a relatively small part of that potential history. And while the Skywalkers (Anakin in particular) have have served as the force's vessel for a particular point in history, that doesn't mean that Skywalkers need to serve as that vessel for all eternity. That would be extremely limiting and repetitive in terms of storytelling.

In no way was he ever suggesting that 'the OT sucked for him because Skywalkers dominated the OT's story.' And there's not a chance he was ever suggesting that he doesn't/didn't enjoy the concept of everything else that goes into the story of Star Wars (Sith, Jedi, opening crawl, etc). That's a pretty disingenuous and extreme interpretation of his post. He's simply saying that it's probably not the best message to send out to younger audiences watching the films that if you're not of a particular blood line, you can't be someone very important. And it's also pretty limiting in terms of telling stories.

We all love and appreciate the OT and what the Skywalker story has been to Star Wars. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here.

TK327, Satipo, Lost_Hope and 2 others like this.
  23. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    Why did you cut off the rest of the statement?

And note, Rey's training is bare bone at best and might as well been started from scratch with none of Luke's involvement.

As for Obi-Wan, he always had his eyes on Luke since Revenge of the Sith. He didn't happened to be found by Luke. No, Obi-Wan came to Luke when the time was right. And from there, Luke carries on Obi-Wan's legacy over the course of OT because in a way, Ben is like an Uncle to him even if they have no blood connection thanks to how well they interacted with each other in ANH.

JamieH likes this.
  24. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Luke's end of physical life arc in TLJ compliments Anakin's.

Vader's redemptive end has often been seen as parallel for some Christians who strongly believe in forgiveness, redemption, and repentance. All 3 are explored toward the end of Anakin Skywalker's mortal life and Lucas judged that sufficient for the Force afterlife.

Fittingly, Anakin's son's moment of darkness is far less extreme and it's more Luke's own morality, and desire to fix what he sees as the biggest problem of all (the cycle) that holds him back but to some Christians (and indeed many religious people) Luke's brief apostasy (for some) and life living closer to the Lew'el way would be seen by some as a surefire way for him to not make it into the Force afterlife at all. Especially since he's living a life where he's completely disconnected with the Force and we've seen that only when Masters are connected and perform the final act to become one with the Force is it possible to live in the Force Afterlife.

If Anakin had been killed prior to his redemption and rediscovery of the Jedi faith he would have never made it into Force heaven. If Luke had been killed prior to rediscovery of his Jedi faith and connection to the Force he also would have never joined him there.

I think it's fascinating that the OT presented a scenario where Luke was in a position to not be with his father mortally unless something changed and that the ST presented a scenario where Luke was in a position to not be with his father in the Force afterlife unless something changed. The stakes are huge and dramatic and spiritual for a character at the end of Campbell's hero's journey.

And thankfully he realized his issue, pulled it out in the end, and again gave us some ideas to think about regarding life as he always has.

Martoto77 likes this.
  25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'd like to remind certain posters in here that this is not The Sanctuary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.