main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books LOTF - First Time Read Thread - No spoilers post-Invincible

Discussion in 'Literature' started by OutsiderJediSam, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Yeah there was ambiguity left at the end.

And having
    Caedus and Jaina fighting be the culmination of Vong prophecy would have been interesting for a few reasons. First because of how the Yuuzhan Vong War is a seminal event in each character's life and arc, also because it would serve as a final representation of Jacen and his relationship with the Vong, and three it would show Vong prophecy has some metaphysical merit meaning the Vong have some sort of connection with the unifying force.

AusStig and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. OutsiderJediSam

OutsiderJediSam Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2017
    sorry dp, edited onto next one

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  3. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    Jaina is the Solo I always identified the most with even though I'm a guy. I know some people see it negatively, but I always saw her as less philosophical and more practical and realist. I don't see that as a negative thing, bc I'm that way too. I'm sure of what I believe, I accept how things are, and I just move forward and deal with them. Jaina seems to do this too. I don't feel the need to star gaze or ponder long term about things, and I feel she is like this too. So, the lack of her having any real place in most of the stories has always frustrated me. Now, I personally think she is the most interesting choice to take on Jacen, although I sorta think it's a wimp move to make Luke NOT face Jacen over "fear of dark side" if Jacen's own sister is gonna be the own to face him instead, how's that a fair trade off for her?? Like I said earlier, I would be cool with her not wanting to kill him, except she's totally been practical and realist, and has known he's gone up until this very point and now out of nowhere she's like this and that's just weird writing. I feel she's been given a total disservice with the lack of a real story in this series, and I feel it's gonna be so rushed now at this point, this is gonna fall flat also. Finally, due to a spoiler from earlier, it sounds like the fight b/t her and Jacen isn't gonna be as epic as I would prefer. I want her to face him in a battle reminiscent emotionally of Anakin/Obi-Wan on Mustafar with them going all out, but her defeating him in the end. Yet, the spoiler sounds like Jacen gives up in the end or goes easy which totally devalues her beating him, and that sucks for her character strength. So, I'm very worried and irritated about the whole thing....

100% agree on the Star by Star mission!!!! I could not believe Luke sent KIDS on a YES, SUICIDE MISSION!!! I'd have left the Order over if it'd been me in universe. Also, total great call on the aftermath or lack there of by the adults, I mean we got to see how screwed up it made the kids....and yes, I'm still very mad about that whole incident, my least fav. moment in all Star Wars, I was totally shell shocked by that decision by Luke....it's almost as bad as the Kylo attempted murder to me......

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    AusStig likes this.
  4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    This is a main part where you and I disagree I think.

I also related most to Jacen-he's intellectual, philosophical, and always asks and always seeks to learn. He also has a soft spot for animals and nature.

I always found Jaina's "see the world through the barrel of a gun" perspective both limiting and derelicting of what it means to be a Jedi.

adalmentia likes this.
  5. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    I would agree with you on why we disagree.

The issue I would have is this, I don't think it's wrong of anybody to be intellectual, philosophical, or "always asks an always seeks to learn." Nothing I said about why I like Jaina is meant to cast any dispersion on anyone else, yet people who hate her always say exactly what you're saying like there is something wrong with that philosophy....

Look at your description...intellectual and always seeks to learn and derelicting of being a Jedi.....that in and of itself indicates that you say Jaina/people like her aren't intellectual and don't seek to learn and is a bad Jedi, and there's no way to take that but negative.....

I would also say that's a horrible example that everyone uses for her, it's not "see the world through a barrel of a gun" it's not that negatively simple at all, it very well could be more like what I said and there is nothing wrong with that view of life....

I have no issue with Jacen being philosophical in principle, it's only when philosophy gets in the way or comes to the wrong conclusions that bothers me hence why I have issues with Jacen's philosophy or Luke during NJO.....

so yes, we def. disagree, but it feels like it's not a fair sided disagreement.....

6. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I think I asked this question earlier but why there is no artwork of the dark man vision? Seems like something Chris Trevas or somebody should have done.

Also why isn't there any artwork of Nelani Dinn?

There's no portrait of G'Sil either or White Eyes.

A lot of LOTF side characters-we don't have any official images of them.

And that's a shame.

AusStig likes this.
  7. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Lol, people said the same thing about the lack of art on Cal Omas. And a large number of NJO and several Bantam Era characters never got pictures, official or otherwise.

8. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    wow wow wow wow, what -_-
    So Denning broke Ben up with Vestra, a girl his own age, with he actually had a bond and had a shared struggle with. Then made her EEEEVIL

So he could hook Ben up with the woman who molested him on the orders of Jacen.

Until now I still had a modicum of respect for the man. It is gone.

Denning you are the worst thing to happen to Star Wars and the fact that you were allowed to do what you did to it, shows that no one cared enough about the franchise to be in charge of it.

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That was not implied in the slightest...? At all?
    @AusStig. I assure you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revanfan1 and AusStig like this.
  10. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    They'd set up Ben/Vestara and then they pulled then Denning pulled the rug out from under the fanbase. Despite it working and having thematic parallels to Luke/Mara.

I was very disappointed with the outcome in this regard in Apocalypse and Crucible.
    As it is I always hoped in my headcanon that Vestara would eventually come around and she and Ben would marry.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    AusStig likes this.
  11. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    OutsiderJediSam likes this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I suppose it is but this is the LOTF read through and the OP doesn't want to be spoiled for that.

I mean we have mentioned Legacy and other EU works on this thread, why not FOTJ?

Unless the OP has explicitly stated he plans on starting FOTJ after LOTF and wishes to not be spoiled on that as well.

But to assuage your and anyone's else concerns I have put the post in spoiler notation.

13. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    I just think that since it is the next book series of the post ROTJ Eu and contains the fates of characters being discussed, you should err on the side of consideration to OJS.
    @Darth Invictus

14. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    FotJ spoilers

@ Vestara and Ben

I'm pretty sure it was a holdover for the next series and they would've eventually gotten together, with Kol being their son or grandson. Just like Jagged not becoming Emperor. They decided to Rian Johnson before Rian Johnson and subvert our expectations despite there being no need to do so.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2018
    Revanfan1 and AusStig like this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Kol and Nat would be Ben's grandchildren. It's not official, but John/Jan said they imagined another generation in-between.

That missing Skywalker generation would also be the same generation as Emperor Fel II, the generation we know least about.

16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The problem with the mysterious generation in between though is the birth death time is hard to put down.

FotJ spoilers...

Ben and Vestara's child that we'll say isn't Kol but his father say born in 55 ABY could be in his or her eighties by the legacy era?

It's easier to skip a generation and assume everyone had kids a decade or so late then add another generation and have to account for its absence.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2018
  17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I’ve edited a load of FotJ spoilers into spoiler tags.

Can we not? Sam is going to end up doing the thread, we all know he will.

Besides.

#TeamSeha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vialco, Xammer, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Speaking of Seha wouldn't have been more interesting if she were a Caedus loyalist/sympathizer within the Jedi?

It would have added some degree of moral complexity to the whole Jedi vs Caedus conflict and shown that at least among some Jedi Caedus had supporters.

AusStig likes this.
  19. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    Yea I figure I will do FOTJ.....here's hoping for the best but expecting the worst

Sinrebirth and BookExogorth like this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You were warned :p

21. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    I know hence why I'm worried, but I have no other SW to read.....

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    About stopped after the NJO and skipping to Legacy instead, that is :p

You absolutely should read the Legacy comics, at least volume 1 concluding in Legacy: War. It will redeem the era for you, I think.

Nobody145 and Force Smuggler like this.
  23. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Han and Leia's reaction to their son's fall to the Dark Side in canon is the polar opposite of their stance in Legacy of the Force.

"We should have dropped that kid out the medcenter window the day he was born."

adalmentia likes this.
  24. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    I've never read any of the comics, and I'm never been interested in any time of SW except the original 3 + Solo children....will that hinder my liking of the Legacy comics???

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Not at all, I felt that way too before reading them.
    They, along with the NJO, are the masterpiece of old canon.
    And Legacy is the true sequel to the NJO.