main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you spent a couple of hours...okay, more than a couple of hours retconning some dates and years in your fics. :p

2. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when, three flashback attempts later, you end up with a flashback that wasn't the one you meant to write. (Six different iterations of the same scene, thy name is Wave Ranger... who aren't major players in this story, but did drop by on their way home because... reasons.)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  3. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    ...on your way to work a fraction of your brain starts to spin off in it's own direction, creating a dialogue between Owen Lars and Obi-Wan. (Forunately the brain was reined in before I entered my office. )

Kahara, Sith-I-5, Ewok Poet and 2 others like this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you're about to frankenstein (yes, it's a verb, DON'T QUESTION IT, I said so!) a bunch of comments on a story that was posted as an one-shot, back when you were thinking that the epic it's a part from was never going to see the light of the day. Like, why not transfer them all to the new thread? :p There's only two of them, anyway.

Need to change the title back to the actual chapter title and remove the Disney quote added it to the very end.

It's a weird thing, a story with two versions, where there are only two differences. :kylosaber:

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  5. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    ....you put your character through an emotional wringer in the two latest chapters of two different stories, and now he insists you owe him some mush in return.

Kahara, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEEE! [face_batting] Happy wriggles because Ezra does deserve the mush. [face_love] [face_laugh]

7. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...when you have to find the silly surveys you did oh-so-long ago to figure out your character's back story. (On the bright side, it was followed by a healthy chuckle...)

And because that thread is now closed, I present the Silly Survey form... **grin**

Name:
    Home Story:
    Sex:
    Favorite Color:
    Favorite Smell:
    Chocolate or Roses?
    Pepsi or Coke?
    Zodiac Sign:
    Any pets?
    Parents names:
    Mother's maiden name:
    Siblings names:
    Stuffed Animals?
    Ever get a sense of deja vu?
    One thing no one knows about you:
    What planet were you born on?
    Ever get a sense of forboding?
    Does your author have some horrible fate planned for you?
    Stop to smell the roses or bulldoze them?
    Favorite smell?

Kahara and brodiew like this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Kahara likes this.
  9. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    When something in canon leaves you so gut-punched you wonder how you’re going to finish any of your stories.

10. Flyboy240

Flyboy240 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 6, 2017
    When you spend way too much time researching super obscure topics

Kahara, brodiew, Ewok Poet and 2 others like this.
  11. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...when your recent search history includes Golf Courses in Brooklyn, the wikipedia page on Chinese Checkers, Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Funeral Homes AND Medical Offices in Maine, Gold Star Pins, and the Internet Guide to Jazz Age Slang. (For starters...)

Kahara, Lady_Misty and Gamiel like this.
  12. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when you've caught the fever for a lavender haired force of personality.

Flyboy240 likes this.
  13. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    As you read through someone else's fic, you keep wanting to tag in your own OC to help out.

Thorn058 and DaenaBenjen42 like this.
  14. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Oohh, I have to do this for Lens. Just for kicks and giggles! :p

DaenaBenjen42 likes this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you have this weird obsession with leaving comments in batches of eight, but you feel like you could possibly do nine or ten tonight. :eek:

EDIT: And you can't do more than eight, plus you buried your own updated epic. [face_rofl]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  16. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    . . . you hate/disagree with new Canon Content but that AU you are pretty sure you aren't going to write but it refuses to go away suddenly screams 'hey, you can do/use 'x' to do 'y' in this'.

17. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    You start compiling entire secret playlists on Spotify to listen to during writing.

18. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    ...you wake up in the morning with a sketch of a completely new story almost finished in your head.

19. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    You begin to edit a finished chapter to fix some seemingly minor issues, and end up rewriting a good chunk of it because Luke deserves the best.

20. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Something of yours, gets ignored so much, you start looking at the most popular subject in the thread, and thinking what you can do with it, just for a bit of attention.

brodiew likes this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you had a fic to post as a birthday gift for yourself, because it was dead silly and it would've been crazy to dedicate it to anybody else...

...and then you realise that you need a couple more days for the challenge you created for yourself only. :p Yup, I am attempting to use all the lines of a miscaptioned song in an A/P story. You...don't want to know. :p

@FireKeeper - What an avatar! :D

Flyboy240 and FireKeeper like this.
  22. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...when you find a way to incorporate a "Keep Calm and Carry On" joke and it was mostly by accident. (And now I want that swimming t-shirt... I don't care if I'm not a mother. I wants it!)

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  23. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when you keep wanting to put characters from other fandoms into your fics with no practical reasoning.

Chyntuck and mavjade like this.
  24. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when the only thing inspiring you, at the moment, is the Old School Self Realization challenge.

Chyntuck likes this.
  25. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    When a fic you like reading hasn't been updated in a long time and you think about your own story
    which hasn't been updated in years.

Ewok Poet likes this.