main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Time Travel/Alternate Universe in the ST?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Bullhead CIty, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Time travel.........just nooooooooo!!!

We have a very precise world within the variables is the Force and the way it interacts with the world the characters live in. It opened up even more with the netherworld and Force-ghosts or spirits.

2. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    Time travel and alternate universe were nice in Star Trek or in the great tv series Fringe.
    I would not use that in SW universe.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  3. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Just watched, "A World Between Worlds". Huh... Guess I was on to something?

Implications for 9?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Shadao, oncafar and mlsw like this.
  4. Darth Vain

Darth Vain Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2016
    In my fevered imagination IX starts with a crawl that tell us that after the events on Crait, what was left of the Resistance were quickly intercepted and annihilated. Perhaps they could show the MF being destroyed - maybe broomboy could enact that part with a toy falcon. Anyway, the film continues on Ahch-To where we are treated to the scene of Luke raising his X-Wing from the sea. Rey approaches him, she looks pleased "So, you are coming with me. What changed your mind?" - you get the idea.

We then go to a flashback, Luke is in his hut and his own Force Ghost appears to him....

So with knowledge of what is to come Luke can fly to Crait, do the projection from there which takes little effort and doesn't kill him - perhaps the fight could be shown off in the distance over Lukes shoulder as he meditates. After Luke disappears in front of Kylo we cut to the Falcon in space with all the survivors - perhaps some are talking about Rey raising the boulders, some just regarding her with awe. Now with a slight adjustment to their flight plan and Luke being able to provide a diversion in his X-Wing they do actually escape the FO, and the story can continue...

His X-Wing is broken? O.K then he leaves in the MF with Rey - and somehow he gets another X-Wing, or something - a small matter.

5. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    I'm yet to see anything in ancillary sources (TV, books, comic books) to have implications for the movies. That said, I'm all for expanding the Force lore. As long as time travel isn't used for retconning (but that can be done by Magic Blood too), it's an interesting addition, more like how the cycle of the Force works and that it transcends time and space rathen "and so and so goes back in time to undo this or that."

6. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I’m a big fan of the other ST—Star Trek. Time travel and alternate universes are fin. Not for SW. and I hear Ezra did time travel.

7. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I watch Legends of Tomorrow, and it does seem possible that there is a way to "tweak" certain events in a story without changing the outcome of the story itself.

8. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    The Rebels episode did not change the time line.
    Or it didn't create an alternate timeline.

Even saving Ashoka... was in fact what was supposed to happen.
    The difference is subtle but substantial.

As said, I don't think we will ever get something that is going to change what's been told before.

What we may get (but I don't think it's given) is the idea that everything went just like it was supposed to go
    according to the Force Will.

The main point in fact, and what it's been consistent in the last months so much so we may ask if there's a path indeed
    is what's been said about the Cosmic Force.

To recap:
    - TFA visual dictionary, the databank and now TLJ novel:
    The Cosmic Force awekened in 7 to shape Rey and Finn destinies.
    Anakin, Luke and Rey were/are instruments of the Cosmic Force.
    The Cosmic Force is the Will of the Force.

The latter concept is reprised in Rebels.

And the point - in Rebels - is not only that whaterver happened in the temple was "allowed" by the Cosmic Force.
    It is what the Cosmic Force/ the Will of the Force wanted.

So much so, that the Emperor says that Kanan's death caused a disturbance in the Cosmic Force
    that it altered the destiny of Lothal.

Why? Because the Temple was supposed to be distructed and Ashoka was supposed to come back
    for reasons we're going to fully understand in the serie finale, I think.

The difference between what we knew before and what we know now, it's that the so called
    Will of the Force is less vague, less random.
    It is something more powerfull.
    With a far more specific consciousness.

And sure, everyone is a tool of the CF/WTF but.. Anakin, Luke and Rey more than everyone so much so
    it is specifically stated.

But if you ask me if all of this is going to be addressed in IX... I don't really know if that's the case.

I don't know if there's a plan to connect not only the movies (from 1 to 9 as it looks like given what JJ said)
    but the movies with the rest of the canon.

It could be the contrary. Because in all truth is not that the movies addressed this issue openly.
    They didn't at all... so, maybe it was the Story Group, that knowing about Rebels put this a nod into
    the canon related to TFA and TLJ.

This could totaly be tha case.

But...
    - the first line (not the first but the first one spoken by a non random character) of Ep. 1
    Obi Wan "I feel a disturbance in the Cosmic Force".
    We will never hear again someone speaking about the Cosmic Force in the movies.

And it makes sense.
    The "disturbance" Obi Wan felt in IV - given what we know about the Cosmic Force and the Living Force
    - is in fact more likely a disturbance in... the Living Force, so was what Yoda felt in III, Leia in VII when Han died etc....

But just because of it, why did Obi Wan feel a disturbance in the Cosmic Force - something
    related to the fate of the Galaxy and the Force Will itself - at that point of the story?
    At the very beginning of this story... that is going to end in ep. IX with an heroine that just like Anakin and Luke
    is/was a specific instruments of the C.F./WotF?

I think it's interesting... and it is regardless if it's going to be openly addressed by ep. IX.
    I believe at least other stuff will address the issue.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  9. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Just to throw in my two cents, I had the same thought after seeing the latest Rebels. I recalled that old AICN article that said they were bringing time travel into the SW universe in the live action tv show. And as crazy as it sounds, which I agree it does, AICN was the first and only site to get the ST news right. They reported on it years before it happened, no question about it, when no one else was saying it. And Lucasfilm was in full denial mode at the time. Then when you throw in the opening line of TFA, about finally making things right. And from the first day I saw Daisy Ridley, I thought she looked remarkably like Shmi. Now that she's officially not a Skywalker legacy, it certainly opens the door for that insane theory. Quiet frankly, since its hard to see where this new ST is going, I wouldn't mind something this outlandish.

Bullhead CIty and mlsw like this.
  10. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Did I miss something?
    So far they haven't introduced time-travel in the live action tv show, because the live action tv show doesn't even exist yet. How could AICN possibly have been right, when the very thing they were talking about hasn't happened? Sounds more like wisshful thinking to me, seeing a connection were none exists.

The odds of that "theory" having ever crossed the mind of anyone involved in making the movies - much less of actually happening - are slim to none. Right up there with the absurd theory after TPM that Palpatine wasn't Sidious, something a few people even still clinged to after AOTC.

11. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    Like I said in another thread, I'm sure that the WBW in Rebels will remain solely as Filoni's deus ex machina plot device to save his pet character. Not sure why anyone wants time travel in SW when there are other already well-established stories and franchises out there dealing with the concept. If innovation is the reason, well I'm sure there are other concepts worth exploring more fitting to SW than time travel.

themoth likes this.
  12. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    @unlimitedpower hum... Regardless what we may think about the episode, if we like it or not... It wasn't about Ashoka.
    It was also about her.
    But there was an entire story arc opened in season 2 when Kanan, Erza and Ashoka first went to that temple that led to the last episode.
    The Malachore episodes were the mile Stone, twilight of the apprentice and zero hour the turning Point and the very same arc is coming to an end in these last episodes. So I really don't think it's fair to say it was a deus ex machina solution. It was planned. And carefully. Then sure, one may like it or not.

Bullhead CIty likes this.
  13. unlimitedpower

Nov 11, 2014
    Doesn't matter if it is planned or not. And maybe deus ex machina is the wrong term. Maybe ad hoc solution is a more fitting term. Because let's not kid ourselves, chances are WBW won't be used again. It will be just a one-off plot device to save Ahsoka. Because the more you use it as a plot device the more you're turning SW into something like Doctor Who or Star Trek.

14. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Bingo. Alternative universe/time travel talk is just a happy place for people who didn't like Han or Luke dying in the ST. Where does it stop? Do we 'go back' and save every single big character that bit the dust like Obi-Wan, Yoda, Qui-Gon, etc?

15. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Maybe I was unclear, but you did miss something. I was saying AICN got the news about a Sequel Trilogy correct long before anyone else. They reported about Episodes 7-9 and that was a legit scoop that turned out to be true, when no one else thought there was a chance.

I was simply saying they were correct with that scoop, they may have been correct about time travel being an element of the live action tv show. And if that was true, given that was a Lucas thing, then it wouldn't be unthinkable they'd bring time travel in to one of these films. Normally, I would have thought time travel in SW could never happen. But if it was a Lucas idea, then that legitimizes it for me.

Bullhead CIty likes this.
  16. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I’m a fan of the other ST as well. In Trek time travel and alternate universes are fine. Also extragalactic entries. Not in SW in my opinion. I hate the Vongso much.

However, Kamino was extragalactic, but in the. neighborhood.

Mortis was an alternate dimension, but it was via the Force.

And the way I hear Rebels handled time travel sounds OK. It was via the Force. Hopefully, SW is one and done with time travel.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  17. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    It's worth playing around with tbh.

18. civilsecret

civilsecret Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2016
    im not opposed to time travelling, i do like the way they did it in rebels, you dont have the ability but you can go through gateways and the gateways seem limited in numbers. i dont think the current ST will utilise it but who knows for other trilogy's. i think if it can be used well it would allow for some really good stories or story in a trilogy

19. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    I get your point... but still I don’t think it was used to save Ashoka.
    Sure they did that too.
    But the point to me was something else... how these characters
    (Ezra, Kanan and Ashoka) went down a path to discover
    what they were supposed to do according to the Will of the force
    (this is the story arc opened in season two).
    In short I believe we would have seen that temple even without
    the Ashoka’s issue.
    Just my opinion

20. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Other realms, states of being, and even time travel make sense if you consider the various belief systems that inspired Lucas' Force mythology. That said, personally, I'd rather they not explore time travel too extensively. At least, not in the traditional sci-fi sense.

I'm quite happy with the idea that more godlike beings, such as the Ones, Force Priestesses, Bendu, and the Whills, might not be constrained by linear timelines, though. In fact, according to some of the information revealed in the TLJ Visual Dictionary, the Cosmic Force seems to follow a cyclical timeline, like the Wheel of Time, with repeating ages, and the ebb and flow of the light and dark sides, creation and destruction.

KembaSkywalker likes this.
  21. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I think we leave time-travel to that other British sci-fi series we all know and love. :)

seattlemusicnerd likes this.
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
  23. dooooogs

dooooogs Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2018
    First time poster after reading these forums for a decade plus. In fact, I joined specifically to respond to this thread, and one comment in particular.

Right on Page 1, I think someone nailed the whole ending of the saga, and the payoff to the last 5, and possibly 7 saga entries (in terms of release). I'm referring to the one about Shmi and Rey. And, amusingly, if that guy turns out to be right, everyone pretty much would've just rolled right over that comment without a word. We'll see.

PS I think Filoni dismissing the whole time/interdimensional thing going forward is a dodge. He planted the seeds for how this thing is gonna play out right in front of everyone face.

mlsw and Bullhead CIty like this.
  24. unlimitedpower

Nov 11, 2014
  25. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Awwwww -- no portal leading to the yuuzhan vong war and a chance meeting between Jacen solo and kylo ren. Pity