main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Exactly...could be either a localized, licensed variant or a refit.

2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Rebels Finale

Ahsoka appears to have been flying a variant of the T-6 Shuttle from The Clone Wars

3. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    Not sure if anybody's ever seen this one before, but I found this scan of Nebulon B concept art by Joe Johnston from the ESB sketchbook. Fairly certain this one is Joe Johnston, and the earlier one I posted is by Nilo Rodis-Jamero.

[​IMG]

4. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I think it made sense. Old ship = Older technology. Weaker shields + weaker transparisteel = more reliance on thick armour and protecting crew behind it with windowless bridge more like a submarine.

Maybe that whole lighter gray section, above the medium grey and dark gray bridge section, is an armoured shutter that can come down and protect the bridge when in battle?

I just dislike the whole "This ship is imperial/Rebel so it has to look imperial/Rebel" thing.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  5. Resistance_Man

Resistance_Man Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    Dreadnought-class Heavy Cruiser, whether the Rebels Version, FractalSponge Version, or Normal Version are all amazing in my opinion, I freaking love them all! That ship is hands down my Favourite Star Wars Cruiser!

6. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Watch the dreads be the "bulk cruisers" Han was referring to as they appear in the Solo movie. Calling it now.

TheRedBlade and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  7. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Mine as well....but like so many others it never got the love it deserved. Same with the Vics and the Gladiator class.

My issue with the Dreadnaught was always the huge crew requirement....and then new stuff comes out in that era that takes a much smaller crew like the Acclamator.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  8. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Labeling the Dreadnaught as a support ship does not mean it's just carrying ammo and stuff. The guys who write this are not trying to use accurate descriptions.

In real life, when I say "support ship", I use it as slang for a supporting combat ship but not a front line ship. I call the Arquiten a support ship all the time.It supports the frontline ships but is not itself a frontline ship.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  9. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Also, considering they are with Thrawn's fleet it's probably a call back to The Thrawn Trilogy, meaning they are probably supposed to be combat ships supporting his star Destroyers.

Like they were in TTT.

TheRedBlade and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Well said, Matthew! Well said. =D=

—Adm. Nick

11. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I think we have to puzzle out where those crew requirements are coming from. If I had to handwave an excuse, it's that the Dreadnaughts carried more guns than the Acclamators, and used a more manpower-intensive fire control system (like...eyes). The Dreads' engines are also more numerous, and possibly mechanically complex, requiring a bigger engineering crew.

12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The Dreadnaughts were, at the end, an entire family of ships that began about a century prior to the Clone Wars; it was also hinted that Rendili ended up making new versions for the New Republic.

CaptainPeabody and TheRedBlade like this.
  13. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Lol. I always imagine thousands of human sized hamster wheels powering all the ship systems.

TheRedBlade and Vthuil like this.
  14. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The reason for the large crew complement would have to be something that could be replaced by slave rigging (which greatly reduces the crew requirements). Also, the Imperial sourcebook says unmodified Dreadnaughts have 97 gunners. So it wouldn't be the gunners or anything else that requires actual hands-on interaction.

15. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I think it was just a plot device to try to give it some sort of character. It's old and does not have all the automation....so it takes 10-15 times the crew of a comparatively sized newer ship.

16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    This is GORGEOUS! OT concept art, especially the ones that ultimately get close to the final models seen on screen, as some of my favs. Thanks for sharing this!

--Adm. Nick

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  17. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    I wish I could have gotten a better quality image, but that's the only scan of that page I've ever found.

18. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    New Mon Cal ships boys; and get this, they're used as cargo ships for the Empire - for now. Looks like the Liberation of Mon Cala arc is good news for fleet junkies, even if it does have to be drawn by Tracer Larroca.

[​IMG]

19. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    That hull color does look very imperial. Any more?

20. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Sadly no, that's the only panel from the comic. It features the obvious Home One trace, some strange quasi-liberty partial trace up above, and a neat flying wing thing below. We do get specification though - Leia states in the comic that "Mon Cala has the greatest merchant fleet in the galaxy", which implies that the Mon Calamari escaped punitive retribution by acting in a VOC manner of employ to the Empire, a sort of East India Company.

21. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    So... Mon Cala replaced the Trade Federation? Interesting.

22. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I love the flying wing design

23. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    I wouldn't say they replaced the Trade Federation, but it appears their local government/economy had similar shipping capacity and was subsumed into the Empire as merchant marine.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Hmm... it may be a coincidence, but the lower Mon Cala merchant vessel looks ALOT like this design we saw briefly in Star Wars: Legacy. It was a ship used in the evacuation of Dac in Legends:

[​IMG]

RE: Mon Cala merchant fleet, it really isn't that surprising. They are a seafaring people and a spacegoing people, known for exploration cruisers and passenger liners. It stands to reason that they'd have a large merchant marine, I'm not surprised at all to learn that the Empire nationalized it and used it for their own purposes.

--Adm. Nick

25. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Well we shouldn't exactly be surprised that you-know-who is tracing. Also very photogenic shot of the Nebulon B in Rebels' finale.

[​IMG]

Can't find a screenshot of the New Republic T-6 shuttle or X-wings, but I do have this great concept art piece from the BTS gallery showing an X-wing with beautiful McQuarrie A-wing style livery. I'd say this is the best color scheme I've seen for any X-wing, almost puts it on the same level of sexiness as a red Y-wing. Way better than Red, Blue, Black or Phoenix squadron X-wing markings imo.

[​IMG]