main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Dark Empire Trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthDeviousTX, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Well, if nothing else, "I am the dark side" might well be a pretty good description of Palpatine's long-term goals in the new canon.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I suppose it's possible they could do some sort of Dark Empire storyline after TFA is released (set before TFA, of course), but I doubt they'd go there. The only character I would expect to see some sort of resurrection is Boba Fett, given the open ended nature of his death.

I would say that what makes Dark Empire for me is Luke's arc in it, moreso than Palpatine's revival, so the core of the story is functional regardless of whether Palpatine is brought back. But I don't see having Luke go through this dark side arc as something the Story Group would do anymore than they would bring Sheev back.

3. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    Aftermath spoiler (sort of. Not a big one at all) that made me think of Dark Empire:
    Aftermath already alluded to the idea that the Empire is using stand-ins, or body-doubles of Palpatine to convince the galaxy that the Emperor is not actually dead. It's a different take on the "Palpatine comes back" idea but it reminded me of Dark Empire as I read it.

4. Obi-Henn Kenobi

Obi-Henn Kenobi Jedi Knight

Jan 16, 2015
    I have posted this before in another thread, but it might be of interest to all who liked DE: The Light And Darkness War by Tom Veitch and Cam Kennedy (made before DE) is finally available again. I haven't read it yet, but judging from this review it seems really interesting.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, have Titan finally got round to issuing that? Thanks for the tip-off.

SheaHublin likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Ulicus , AusStig, Jedi Ben and 4 others like this.
  7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I have to say, I am kind of pleasantly surprised to see something highlighting the old EU or the Dark Horse era on the official site these days....

Interesting readthrough - back in 2015 Insider ran a three-part article series interviewing Veitch and Kennedy about Dark Empire, that I would highly recommend tracking down. But even so this had a few things I've never seen before about DE, specifically that a lot of stuff from the DE Sourcebook was written by Veitch, or the original DE idea of the folkloric Jedi Knights (which in retrospect is easy to see was also the origin idea for Tales of the Jedi).

8. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    Man, I thought you'd typed that Lightsider had been released, and then I get to the clicking of the link there and realize that it's just their other series.

9. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I still wish DE had gotten a novelization. It would have been awesome.

AusStig, JABoomer and SheaHublin like this.
  10. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    It did- just get a copy of the Test of Wills by Publius.

11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    That's a bit of out of date and is a fanfic though.

Daneira likes this.
  12. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Lightsider will eventually be released. Veitch has been talking about releasing it for years.

13. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I was browsing through Dark Empire this morning and forgot that the phrase "Vision of the Future" gets used in it. Kind of ironic given that's the novel that Zahn tries to dismiss the events of DE.

It also happens in the scene where Luke sends a vision of himself across the galaxy to Leia, and where she at first sees him as Vader until he morphs into Luke's face (as with Anakin in the TFA concept art).

CLee, Gamiel and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I wonder how Thrawn if had been victorious and defeated the New Republic would have reacted to a reborn Palpatine demanding his allegiance?

15. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Thrawn wouldn't care as long as Palpatine protected the Chiss. It's the ultimate end all justification for everything Thrawn does now thanks to Zahn, and offers a convenient justification for all of Thrawns atrocities while Zahn can still claim he's a hero. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

AusStig likes this.
  16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I'm referring to the old canon not the new Canon or any retcons it may have introduced.

17. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    It was an old canon thing though. Everything Thrawn did was to protect the Chiss from the Vong. Zahn was already whitewashing Thrawn even way back then.

The only difference in new canon is the threat is probably not the Vong.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oho? Don't suppose he's mentioned how he'd get around whatever legalities have prevented it being done before?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  19. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    That is a good point, if he tries to sell it for money. Kenneth Flint put out his canceled book, Heart of the Jedi, online, and Lucasfilm didn’t seem to care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tython Awakening likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, that precedent - interesting, thanks.

21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    What's light sider?

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Kam Solusar and Luke's first meeting.

AusStig likes this.
  23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I see.

24. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    A novella in the style of the Kyle Katarn books that was written (and takes place) between Dark Empire I and II. It shows how Luke converts Kam to the light side by playing "the Lightsider game", whatever that means.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The closest we ever got was the prologue for the DE2 audio version, but that went nowhere near saying what 'lightsider' was or how it worked.