main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels- missed opportunities

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Swashbucklingjedi, Mar 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    I really wanted to see more of the Inquisitors, instead they're just your typical throw away characters who show up for one season only to die. They could've shown how they're trained and how they wound up joining the Empire, you could've had an episode where Vader takes one as his own apprentice.

2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    No of course not but they still have that connection. That’s just not there for Ezra and Co unless you count copying the same tropes a connection.

And no one will care about them long term either. I’m putting this prediction out now. The premier will get some buzz and people will tune in for that, and it will get high viewership (and high reviews regardless of quality due to it having Starwars in the title) then after that it will drop like a stone. People will want something more in terms of quality and character than it will offer
    That’s my prediction

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    No one will care about who?

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    For the films none of this really matters.

5. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Rebels, Ezra, Sabine, Hera, Zeb, Kanan, Kallus, Chopper....

We will see. I predict that Hera, Sabine, Zeb, Ezra, Chopper, Kallus and even Kanan will be remembered and when some of those characters makes cameo in some new Star Wars show- or something whatever it is... New adventures of Wedge Antilles or whatever, some people will be like OMG I remember that character from my childhood- great to see him/her again.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Here's the bottom line. It took awhile for me to allow the characters of Rebels to grow on me. I'd imagine it was the same during the first couple of seasons with TCW. OMG OMG OMG....CAN YOU BELIEVE A CLONE JUST TOOK OFF HIS HELMET AND WE SEE HIM SPEAKING LIKE A HUMAN BEING?!!! Sooner than later you feel a connection with certain characters and they do grow on you. You watch the episodes religiously to see your favorite characters go through any number of obstacles in their paths. Sometimes they may not make it in the end. But they still have a lasting effect on you. Sabine's painting at the end of "Farewell" was very moving in it of itself; Rebels was a very intimate take within the SW franchise. They didn't travel that far through four seasons; and there was hardly an episode where any member of the original Ghost Crew were missing completely.

Vizzy91 likes this.
  7. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    I was overall pleased with Rebels, but the fan of me would definitely have liked to see a few things. Most of them are just planets that would have made interesting settings, or pipedream EU elements being brought into canon. But hey, these would have been neato:

Dantooine. We saw it from space! But I would have liked to see the rebel base on the planet when it was being used. But it made sense for the crew to move to Atollon for a while, as they needed to have a big battle with Thrawn that would force them to Yavin IV. And A New Hope specified that the rebel base on Dantooine had been abandoned, so no chance of seeing a previous battle there as the Empire would have known about it by the time of the OT, but it would have been great to see. I would have loved to see what the "official" surface looked like. I have my fingers crossed that when it does show up in a series or movie it will feature the auburn fields, iconic blba trees and flying mantas from KotOR.

Ord Mantell. Just because its referenced everywhere and I want to see it in a cinematic format.

The Rex-Cody confrontation that's been mentioned would have been a great story, especially since Rex seemed to fall away from relevance to the Rebels plot after a while.

Clan Ordo. I was waiting, WAITING for a callout during the end of the Mandalore Arc. I remember being on the edge of my seat watching Bo-Katan raise the Darksaber as the clans pledged loyalty to her:

"Clan Vizsla is with you!"
    Alright okay, nice.
    "Clan Rook is with you."
    Oh, cool cool. Clan Ordo has to be next.
    "Clan Eldar is with you!"
    Ooh, that's a new one. Alright, come on Ordo!
    "Clan Kryze is with you!"
    Ordo?
    "The Protectors are with you."
    Please?
    "Clan Wren is with you."
    ****!!!!!!

I hope we get a post-rebels story in some form where Sabine goes back to Mandalore again to aid the liberation there, and maybe my dreams will come true.

Skywalker2B likes this.
  8. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I am with you on this...except the apprentice thing.

9. KikReask

KikReask Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2016
    Quite a few things but one bit has always disappointed me. So throughout this series we got plenty of characters we already knew from the movies and books, Lando, C-3PO, R2-D2, Vader, Maul, Sidious, Leia, Thrawn, Mothma, Saw, Yoda, Kenobi... But no one thought it'd be cool to have Boba Fett show up?

I mean we get all of these minor sidekicks of the main cast like Sabine's friend and Sato's nephew, and we get Mandalorians too, but they couldn't do anything with the Fett man? Especially when the rest of LucasFilm doesn't know what to do with him.

10. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    -There are far too many scenes of characters talking about performing X action or explaining Y plan instead of actually performing said actions.
    -Many episodes end in an anti-climax or are just forgettable single arcs. More multi-arc episodes for quality over quantity.
    -Clone Wars characters overstaying their welcome. Avatar somehow had the core cast be entertaining and bounce off one another instead of relying on legacy characters to inflate a plot.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Darth Chuck Norris and Snafu55 like this.
  11. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I kinda like the apprentice idea too- sith should be always plotting against themselves- at least in theory. It is part of their philosophy really- if one can betray his master it is foolish not to do so- it is unnatural to serve one who is not in stronger position and that includes possibility of training own supporter. Sure master should prevent this to prove he is the one in control- that is how it should go really. Vader planned to overthrow the Emperor in ROTS, and again in ESB- why he wouldn't try it between those times is beyond me.

Agreed. I first thought that Rebels could have took place on Dantooine instead of Lothal, but sure it wouldn't have worked well with this finale. Lothal still shares many similarities with Dantooine, both are mainly dominated by grasslands (in legends at least), are on the Outer Rim, mainly agricultural and far from the most important planets and both were also ancient jedi bases.(at least in KotOR) Dantooine was seen from the space at least and it seemed earth-like, with forests, seas and grasslands. I don't expect them to change it very much, I liked the savannah-look in KotOR too, sure it could have different biospheres, but nothing too alien, besides flying mantas and stuff like that.

lookameatbag likes this.
  12. Tobi

Tobi Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    Vaders Castle would have been great and more of the underworld could have been cool

SeparatistFan and Darth Dnej like this.
  13. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I'm sure we see more of these in other formats but yeah missed opportunities in Rebels. Black Sun, Bounty hunters or the Hutts- there was only that one guy based on Jabba concept art, Azmorigan or something. Lando, Hondo and that local gangster Vizago. Considering how big role BH:S played in TCW I was surprised we didn't see any, except that Sabine's friend of course, Ketsu. But no movie hunters like Bossk, Dengar or IG-88.

whostheBossk, SeparatistFan and Tobi like this.
  14. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I still wish that Kanan had met his birth parents and been able to have a relationship with them.

15. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Barris Offee: The show relied too much on TCW and the OT, but this would've actually made a lot of sense. Have her as a really powerful Inquisitor, or be on her own. Or as others have mentioned, make her Maul's apprentice.
    Inquisitorius: They had no appearances after Season 2. It wasn't a good idea to kill off a compelling villain like the Grand Inquisitor in S1, only for three less compelling inquisitors to take his place and all get killed off in the same episode.
    Not killing off enough heroes: All but one of the Ghost Crew survived the series. Rex, Kallus, Ahsoka, etc. all made it out too. I know they can't kill a ton of people (TV-Y7 show after all) but I feel more deaths would've carried weight.
    AP-5: He was a charming character that had almost nothing to after Double Agent Droid. I don't even think he got lines in S4. I think he could've become Spectre 7, and stayed with the Ghost Crew. Even if that didn't happen, he deserved more screen time.
    Sabine giving up the Darksaber and letting Bo-Katan lead Mandalore: I think Sabine earned the title of Mandalore, and Bo-Katan has done some terrible things (which the show fails to mention). Sabine leading Mandalore would've been awesome.

Those are the big things I can think of right now.

V-2, lookameatbag, Tobi and 1 other person like this.
  16. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I disagree about this- Sabine was already Mary Sue kind of character, genius artist and engineer and warrior while still young and I am happy they didn't make her Mandalore as well.

17. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    There are some drawings of how Dantooine is supposed to look like in the new canon in the Art of Rogue One book, if you're interested.

Originally, the Dantooine Rebel base and its evacuation were planned to be in RO, but because of budget constraints, it got cut early in the production.

whostheBossk and Hypatia like this.
  18. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Ok interesting. I knew about that it was planned but haven't seen that book.

19. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Rebels made a lot of things very well. The one thing I feel was a big mistake was to completely forget about the Inquisitorius after season 2, and not giving them even a passing reference explaining their fate. They wasted the chance to explore the background and organization behind the best original villains the show presented, and undermined them with very few appearances and interactions with other characters.

Just for personal taste, not critizicing at all (and knowing it was considered well within the dreaded "fan service" territory), I would have prefered Vader actively hunting and finally ending Maul in Rebels. I understand it was a little too grand of an ending for what the creative team intended for Maul, but for me it was a great opportunity and more interesting than having Kenobi in there (it was pretty good nonetheless).

Finally, I would have liked to see the imperial oppression at work... in fact, I would have loved to see the Stormtroopers as the feared imperial forces I´ve always pictured them. Perhaps that, and some insight of the other powers in the greater galaxy, imperial dignitaries, crime lords, etc, but for every missed opportunity they did some great things that I wasn´t even expecting to see, and that made for a very enjoyable experience,

whostheBossk, Hypatia and MrDarth0 like this.
  20. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Four big ones are....

Not allowing Vader to kill Ahsoka. For a show set during the dark times, I wish we saw a darksider kill a jedi (or ex-one).

Offing the "Grand" Inquisitor at the end of s1. Instead of introducing 3 more Inquisiors that get murdered, keep developing the original. One more Inquisitor could be brought in as visual proof the origination was bigger.

Dropping Dark Ezra very fast. Im not saying his fate should have ended as a dark jedi with no hope for redemption. But allow the temptations of the darkside to bring him more into darkness then what we got. It could later have him give up jedihood, not because he is now evil, but feels he isn't worth that status for the darkness he previously let in.

No episodes from the villains perspective. I wish the next series allows episodes that don't star the main heroic cast. Rebels would have been a better show if we got an episode from an Inquisitor or regular Imperial eyes. Or not bringing in Ezra to encounter Obiwan, just allow Maul's final episodes to be about him and Obiwan.

Darth Dnej, lookameatbag and MrDarth0 like this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Killing the Grand Inquisitor to soon

Not having a Rex vs Cody battle.

22. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    As much as I loved the finale I think they missed a trick by not having Cham be part of the team for Hera. Especially since Ketsu made an appearance for Sabine.

23. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    More character development between Rex and Kanan because of the history between clone and jedi.

Here is a bright idea. Not have Rex have his chip removed before Order 66 and in reality he has killed innocents. While he heavily regrets it now, it creates more interesting dynamics between his clone crew and Kanan then having Rex escape the horror other clones inflicted.

MrDarth0 likes this.
  24. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    The fate of the Onderon rebels besides Saw (like Lux). Of all TCW characters they brought back, I was for sure we'd see more of them (or at least hear about them) since I felt they would fit well in a show about rebels. Did they all become Partisans?

Darth Dnej likes this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Lux sorta did and. He joined Saw, but stayed with the main rebellion