main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Last Jedi by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 21, 2017.

1. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Just got it from Barnes and Noble today (got the exclusive edition with color photos), and read the first 50+ pages.
    Luke's dream in the beginning hit me like a train. At first I thought it was post-ROTJ with Luke and Camie falling in love. Alas, it's a what-if. I doubt Luke's significant others will ever get mentioned again in the book. I'll have to see.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Alrighty, time for my review. I'm gonna avoid spoilers and talk in generalities at first, but I'll post a few tagged spoilers at the end.

In short- this is one of the best movie novelizations EVER. What's more, it also one of the best Star Wars novels EVER. Jason Fry absolutely knocked this out of the ****ing park. =D=

When they say this book is expanded or enhanced, they aren't kidding. It's not just minor little asides or one paragraph expansions. It's a lot more than that. One thing that Jason demonstrated in this novel was his ability to capture the true spirit or essence of a character. I especially liked scenes from a character POV that were essentially their inner monologue. We see the conflict in Luke Skywalker. The dogged by unbroken determination in Leia. The optimistic and hopeful spirit of Rey. The torn soul of Kylo Ren. The young, brash bravado of Poe Dameron. It's not just the major characters either. We see an aged and tired Ackbar, who nonetheless answers the Galaxy's call and does his duty. We see the bravery of Tallie Lintra. The deep commitment of Amilyn Holdo. All the books characters, from Finn to Rose to Hux to Snoke- they all come alive in wonderful and unique ways.

The use of lore and canon is fully on display here. Fans of Jason's other works, including his reference guides and other novels, will catch familiar nods. The book moves briskly and doesn't drag. One of my few complaints about TLJ was how it drug in the middle a bit. The novelization doesn't suffer from that at all. Certain moments that take longer in the film are captured eloquently in a few paragraphs, while some of the films smaller moments are awarded with whole pages or more. It's clear that Jason worked well with Rian Johnson and knew when to expand a scene or simply let the film's dialogue speak for itself, it truly feels seemless.

For the detractors, which will always exist. If you hated the film, this book won't change that. I'd argue that this book WILL make you view parts differently and have a different appreciation, but that's for you to decide. If money isn't tight and you enjoy reading, I say give this book a shot. It's really well written. [face_peace]

I don't wanna spoil anything significant, cause that defeats the purpose of reading this book. But I will share a few fun little tidbits and teases that are most definitely Nick-class spoilers, so if you know what I like and are interested, see below: ;)

• The state of the New Republic is clearly laid out. It's on the ropes, its leaderless, but its there.
    • The Resistance's goal was to rally and unify the New Republic's remaining member worlds, senators, military leaders, and task forces to fight back.
    • Ackbar is given a scene where we see his inner thoughts. This tired, added warrior may be slowing, but he's as astute as ever.
    • Great Fleet Junkie stuff, fans of ships will enjoy the class names, background, and other cool info from the ICS.

I'm eager to hear what everyone else thought of this book!

--Adm. Nick

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  3. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Thanks for the tidbits. Last Jedi wasn't my favorite Star Wars thing ever, but I think its certainly worth the investment in the Jason Fry Beer & Mortgage fund :)

Anything new on the technical details of the hyperspace ram? I am quite fond of what Jason said in that interview, with the Raddus having the stronger shields in the collision.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  4. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I am glad that you enjoyed the book, Nick, as I am sure many others did. You're right about detractors not liking the book. I got the audiobook this morning and listened to it throughout the day and sadly it did not redeem the film for me. I did give it a chance, but it just didn't do it for me. I'm sure Jason Fry did the best he could with the material he was given but the overall story remained boring and far too contrived for me. Not his fault by any means.

Hypatia likes this.
  5. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Not very many, esp. in comparison. The original trilogy ones were pretty thin and didn't really delve into the movie that much (neither did the TFA adult one either, to be fair).

Got my copies of the TLJ adult and Jr. novelization today, but haven't had a chance to read them yet (still in the middle of a comics reading marathon I don't want to break up).

Darth Caliban likes this.
  6. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Sharing this twitter thread both because (1) it seems to do a good job summarizing the Force- and Jedi-related info from the book, and (2) it's by a Dominican friar, one of the real-world inspirations for the Jedi, which I feel is pretty damn cool. There are of course SPOILERS to be found herein.

TheRedBlade and Darth Caliban like this.
  7. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Some of those summarizations were already evident in the films (the cosmic force and living are discussed by Qui Gon in TPM and the unreliability of force visions was also shown via Anakin in AOTC and ROTS)

8. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Is there any links to Weapon of a Jedi in this with it being by the same author?

9. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    It's a shame about the prologue...

involving the "what if" about Luke being married, and his wife not being Mara or having a son named Ben. Alas. ;)

10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Oh yes. Jason does explain the hyperspace jump scene with greater technical detail. It's a great scene.

One thing that this book demonstrates is that Jason Fry's skills are more than up to the task of writing a full blown original SW novel. He's a pro at MG books, reference guides, sourcebooks, and cross sections. Now he's demonstrated he's a pro with a novelization. He needs a fullblown novel.

Dammit LFL, give this man a book deal and allow him to craft fully original stories! I'd give my right arm for Jason to be turned loose in the New Republic Era. :cool:

--Adm. Nick

11. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Here's a reddit thread for those who asked about what Snoke info there is in the book. (Spoilers)
    StarWarsLeaks/comments/82cyn1/insight_into_snoke_and_the_fo_from_the_last_jedi/

12. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I find it a bit weird because Luke had a girlfriend in a canon book (Nakari Kelen) but she isn't
    the wife in this what if moment

13. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Girlfriend is a strong word for someone he had a bit of a crush on during their, what, week-long mission?

TheRedBlade likes this.
  14. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Plus the whole point of that dream is Luke staying on Tatooine and never joining the Rebellion.

15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Are Uncle Owen and/or Aunt Beru and/or blue milk mentioned in the dream?

TheRedBlade likes this.
  16. hermiona52

hermiona52 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2017
    I stopped reading after Rey and Luke's confrontation only because I had 1% of battery left... so I can safely say it's a highly addictive book. What stood out to me is the interaction between Rey and Luke. I laughed so many times (they are really funny) and it was sometimes so touching. Finn is much more fleshed out as is Finn and Rose's building friendship. I enjoy Poe's character even more. Leia's too (description of her Force scene is great). So far I enjoy it immensely and although I loved TLJ (it took nr 1 spot that ESB had) I think it improved it. No matter how good movie is, it can't show us inner monologue of characters so it adds a lot thanks to this novelization.

17. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Yes, yes, no

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    My copy has despatched, arrival tomorrow, probably read it Friday.

I'm unlikely to beat my fellow Brit fan and literary gannet that is Sinny! He'll have got it tomorrow and gorged on it within hours. [face_devil]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  19. Dominick1216

Dominick1216 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 23, 2013
    Does the book explain the reasoning behind young Rey looking at a ship flying off of Jakku during the flashback in TFA?

20. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I'll be honest.

[​IMG]

It's still vague, so far what we have is he was some race of navigators and the Imperials ended up following him because... he showed them the right navigation path? If I gave fleeing Nazis in South America directions, do I get to be their new Fuhrer?

KSennia, ImpKnight and Vialco like this.
  21. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Fleeing Imperials, a leader promising to show them a new way...an attempted canon version of Vitiate, perhaps? Especially the implications that he's actually more powerful than Palpatine?

TheRedBlade likes this.
  22. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Vitiate came from the ranks of the actual Sith Empire. Snoke shows literally out of nowhere and they accept him as their leader. If he was actually a presence in the Empire from before the exile, then makes perfect sense and I get the Vitiate reference. But apparently he doesn't, so it doesn't make any sense.

darklordoftech and PCCViking like this.
  23. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Yes. It’s a little known fact that the German government in the 1930s was actually run by scavenger hunts.

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I didn't get that implication. Am I missing something?

TheRedBlade likes this.
  25. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Well, that's based on some of the information I heard. Plus, there's the casual flick of the wrist to produce the Force lightning, whereas Dooku and Palpatine seemed to have to actually concentrate.