main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Story Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Formidious, Dec 13, 2017.

1. CloneWarBrent

CloneWarBrent Jedi Master

May 25, 2005
    I'm not necessarily advocating for this exact storyline, but I do like the way they tie in the entire saga... prequels, original trilogy and the sequel trilogy.

Hopeless and kylosympathizer like this.
  2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Prediction! There will be two time jumps, one at the beginning at the movie and then after the good guys win there will be a time jump and we'll see some new Jedi students being trained.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  3. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    IX could end with Rey driving a speeder through the desert. She pulls into a ramshackle recharging station to top off her vehicle's fuel cells. An astromech droid and a protocol droid approach Rey. The astromech droid takes a holopic of Rey and then it begins to ramble a long string of incessant beeps and whistles until Rey speaks up.
    Rey: "What is he saying?"
    D-4PO: "He says you are very beautiful, and he is very ashamed to ask you for five wupiupi for this holopic, but if doesn't get it, his master will send him to the spice mines of Kessel, or get smashed into who knows what!"
    Rey: "Pretty good hustle, rig. Four."
    R9-Z3: "Whistle-skwonk-beep." [holopic is transferred to the onboard computer of Rey's speeder.]
    The astromech droid starts to spin around, making all sorts of noise, and then it rolls away.
    Rey: "What did he just say?"
    D-4PO: "He said there's a storm coming in."
    Rey: "I know."
    Rey puts on her goggles and drives away.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    My very basic take would be this.

We've had a time jump. The war is raging between the Resistance and the FO - with the Resistance fighting a bitter insurgency. The FO is still hugely powerful but riven by in-fighting as Kylo Ren is becoming increasingly unstable.

I think Kylo Ren has been digging through Snoke's secret knowledge - and has discovered the source of the dark power in the Unknown Regions that Palpatine had sensed. I think Snoke discovered that only one of Skywalker blood could harness this power, which is why he was so keen to get Luke out of the picture and why he was so keen to have Kylo under his control. Kylo now figures out a way to harness this power - essentially enacting an ancient rite that will usher in some kind of SW version of Ragnarok - the myth, not the Marvel film. And it falls to Rey - with Luke's guidance - and the Resistance to stop him unleashing some kind of Force Apocalypse on the galaxy.

I think something like that - with obviously a far greater focus on character than sketched above - would be an organic way to tie in all three trilogies with Snoke's agenda and crucially Kylo's seduction which would shed further light on Kylo and Luke and the backstory, whilst also keeping those conflicts in play - and in way that such backstory would be linked to the current plot as it unfolds. And once you get to the end of 9, with the info revealed, we'd see how it all fit with TFA and TLJ, without such plot points being made explicit on the way through.

burg2774 likes this.
  5. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    How about a play on the garden of Eden?
    The first with caused the force users to be exiled from the true homeworld of the force.
    The source Palpatine seeks is the Son.
    Snoke was used to access the source but requires a truly balanced force user to gain true access unaware the force is neither just light or dark it is more than that!
    Their actions cause the barrier to drop revealing countless worlds lost in the myths of time but in addition reveals new enemies explaining why the Unknown Regions was barred.
    It heralds a new era both of exploration but rediscovering long lost secrets and that maybe something's should have been better off forgotten?

6. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Even if they weren't shown as being oppressed by the FO ~specifically, it's made quite clear that there are oppressed people in the galaxy who would obviously be opposed by the FO. There's 2 scenes where the kids are shown being inspired/happy when encountering the Resistance. Rose has a whole monologue about how the FO ruined her life or whatever. I'm not sure how they could have been more clear about it without showing one of those kids get hit by a stormtrooper or something.

For me the actual flaw here is that this all feels so separate from the story we're actually invested in, which is rooted in the main characters and the drama between them. It feels more like a detour than a natural part of TLJ's overall story. I honestly think it goes back to how weak of a character Finn is in TLJ. It's difficult for us to feel and be invested in this whole part of the movie because the character leading this plotline is vague and passive.

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  7. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    And who's child is she pregnant with?

Darth Smurf likes this.
  8. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Chewie

9. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Maybe they'll pull a redux of season 8 of Dallas and we'll find out that EP8 was just a dream sequence. (sarcasm)

10. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I don't know what the story might be, but I strongly suspect that the opening of Episode IX may take the form of a force vision/forceback/forceforward .

11. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    That video puts it right. You don't go into IX and erase anything from TLJ. That's just plain stupid. Instead, you put more purpose and context to TLJ, expanding on some things that happened or were said in order to feed into IX's story to wrap it up in a satisfying way.

In other words, Luke dying set some people off. But JJ can make it so that it was always Luke's destiny to become something much bigger than the material purpose and that he was always destined to be something more spiritual because that's where the greater influence and purpose is. If Rey was meant to be "random" then put a twist on it. Her parents were not junkers-at least not both of them. Maybe Dad was a former Jedi student who gave up that lifestyle like Luke did and became whatever he was on Jakuu but Mom left and truly loved Rey. Kylo, not being able to sense love, never saw that aspect of Rey. Snoke's story was cut short but go back and, while having flashback(s) about Kylo's initial turn to the dark side, feature Snoke and in doing so, show who and what Snoke was.

There are ways to take the most controversial aspects of TLJ and make them into powerful storytelling points that give a new insight into TLJ while helping IX to achieve the ultimately satisfying ending we all want to see.

Voltron64 and MYMUTHAZ like this.
  12. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    I think Rey should be revealed to have been "born of the force," in the same manner Anakin was. But the twist will come that we learn that these miraculous force-births aren't miraculous at all, but rather orchestrated by Snoke, a.k.a. you know who. We'd essentially be learning that Snoke was responsible for the entire Skywalker bloodline.

And by the way, he will be revealed to still be alive in some form or fashion.

Maybe Luke and co. do come back as ghosts in Episode IX, but perhaps they learn that in order to kill Snoke, they have to do something that ends their own force ghost-hood as well.

One thing is for certain, this Star Wars is probably going to have to have a 3 hour run-time to wrap everything up at a proper pace.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    How's THAT for diversity!!?? [face_peace]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  14. Dark Mota

Dark Mota Jedi Master

Nov 9, 2012
    That’s cool, but I’ll rather kill kylo battling snoke/the son semi-ghost...it is the only way a patricide should end...you redeem him the moment he sees Leia ghost, and knowledge that his porpoise is to go and end the dark side just like his granddad. Of course you will see rey yelling “kylooo” or something, then asking yoda or Luke that this is not a true balance...and they respond: “it is...for now”, and all the ghosts disappear. Then you end the movie with a closing book that reads “journal of the wills” and a boy and girl twins asking: “so after thousand years we again need the Jedi?”, a misterious figure rises and responds “yes, the galaxy need them, we will find them”.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

15. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Kylo is redeemed. He and Rey are seemingly trapped together. They find a way out but the Knights of Ren are blocking their escape. Ben tells Rey he’ll hold them off. Rey runs. Ben fires up Luke’s green light saber, the Knights fire up their red lightsabers and they charge each other in a slow motion shot. Boom!

16. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    The galaxy is still reeling from the attack on the Hosnian system. While there is ample evidence that the First Order carried out the attack there are members of the New Republic that are casting doubt on who was really responsible. Some are speculating that General Leia and her Resistance worked with the First Order to carry out the attack. Seeing as how this attack was carried out against people that supported or were sympathetic to Leia and her cause it makes very little sense to suggest that Leia was in co-hoots with the First Order. Nonetheless this conspiracy theory is continually being repeated among certain political circles of the New Republic and it's starting to take hold.

Conversely a number of people floating this theory have been revealed to have been in contact with the First Order leading up to the attack on the Hosnian system and an independent investigation has been opened to learn more about the connections between certain New Republic members and the First Order. In the meantime sadly little is being to done to protect the New Republic from future First Order attacks which are believed to be carried out in the very near future.

Compounding matters the Resistance are still in disarray. After the loss of Luke Skywalker the galaxy are looking for the next new hope. There are a number of contenders being discussed, Rey, Finn, Poe, Commander D'Acy just to name a few but many of them haven't a lot, if any experience being a leader. While the Resistance are all in agreement that the First Order must be stopped there isn't a consensus on who will lead them and how they should go about attacking the First Order. Some have imagined that this saga will be wrapping sooner rather than later but there is a strong indication that the chaos in the galaxy will continue for years to come.

17. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    If IX does not feature an army of new Jedi trainees taking on the Knights of Ren, there is no justice in the world.

Voltron64 likes this.
  18. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    @The Regular Mustache TLJ made me think the Resistance will not exist anymore, they will make another Rebellion

19. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I hear yeah though practically speaking I never really saw a difference. It's mostly semantics to me.

Voltron64 and Jedi Jessy like this.
  20. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Prepare yourself for no justice.

We're not going to get Jedi redshirts

21. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    AOTC had it. We never, however, had one Star Wars movie with many Jedi taking on many Darksiders. It seems like a perfect climactic battle to me.

Voltron64 and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  22. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    That's because in AOTC, the major institutions in both opposing sides, were the separatists and the Jedi Order (on behalf of the Republic).

In the Sequel Trilogy, the two major institutions are the FO and the Resistsnce.

Believe me, in Episode IX, they'll sooner show Finn or Poe with an elite squad of commandoes, before they show Rey with a squad of Jedi younglings.

Now on the other hand, the KoR, who they've been slowly hyping up with hints in TFA and TLJ, is a different story

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  23. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    @Darth_Articulate I agree. There would have to be one hell of a long time jump between VIII and IX though. It might actually require a long time jump, to redeem Episode VIII for me a little. ;)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  24. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I want Kylo kilt dead.

And DJ to use his cash money to help the Rebellion.

An explanation for Leia’s passing.

Kylo’s thoughts on losing his parents.

Backstory of Snoke and FO told by Maz and/or Luke.

Knights of Ren and the Second Apprentice, who isn’t a Ren.

Church of the Force.

New Jedi.

Anakin and Luke rematerializing to take down Ren.

25. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    Twilight of the Gods you say?Would be a great way to restart the GFFA.Rey dies,Kylo dies and the Force is at balance because the true darkness is gone.No Jedi,No Sith just the Force.