main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I like the saber splitting in the middle because it gives me hope. Especially how Rey could feel the crystal keening and seeking harmony. I want a balance of some sort as well. I don't care in what way but Rey and Kylo finding some harmony between them is important to me. Kylo may disappoint me on that though, and I don't like disappointment so I prepare early so I can take it in small doses instead of all at once. Life is terribly disappointing, I find. Which backs my cynical philosophy that hoping comes with great risk and expecting anything other than out of cold reason or prediction (no attachment) is unwise. Expectation creates later disappointment. And expecting things of others in a way in which you would count on it is the most unwise of all. But really that's something I like about Rey. She is not so cynical.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Birkendoc and Darth Gummybear like this.
  2. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I just wanted to post this here because I liked JJ Abrams' comment that some people feel threatened by women. I love Rey and all these characters, especially Jyn.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    JJ is oversimplifying and resorting to strawmanning A LOT with that. Which is disappointing because I expected better of him given his track record.

4. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    No he's not. Because he's not trying to 'convince anyone to like TLJ and the ST.' He's talking about a specific group of people. Not the entire population of fans that didn't like The Last Jedi.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  5. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    It's amazing how Rebels is meeting and exceeding my expectations. I wish the sequel trilogy would do that too.

6. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    This.

It’s in reaction more to the Men’s rights people and all the Right Wing websites and Bishops that complained about all of the powerful women in TLJ, including those who literally tried to make a 46 minute cut of the film where Poe completes the kamikaze mission.

If you’re not one of the people who likes what those people are saying then JJ isn’t referring to you but they absolutely were a part of the group that did come out most aggressively against the film worldwide.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  7. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If Rey's a random then what personal story is there even left to tell about her in Ep. 9? Seems like her personal story is done and she'll be relegated to being the Force's instrument to stop Kylo Ren which apparently is her only purpose in this story. Well, that and helping her friends. Not a terribly deep bit of character building I hate to say.

ETA: I don't like it when people say that ST is really Kylo Ren's story but at this point it does seem more likely that Ep. 9 will deliver more Kylo backstory than Rey backstory and Rey largely amounts to being the Force's hired help.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  8. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    The title of "the Force Awakens" ended up about the Force awakening in her.

The title of " the last Jedi" ended up with her, not Luke, being the last Jedi.

I wouldn't be surprised if Episode IX's title, ended up indicating what her role in the final film is.

9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The titles of The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith all refer back to Sidious but he is not the central character of the movies anymore than TLJ was about Rey.

Since they skipped TESB like title The Last Jedi had the same meaning as Return of the Jedi which refers to at least two characters Luke and Anakin and Luke and Rey plus the Jedi Order overall.

In fact in the movie the point is that Luke was the last Jedi but he will no longer be since Rey is this insta-Jedi who will somehow create a new Jedi Order.

10. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    According to Lucas, Return of the Jedi, refers to Anakin's return to the light

oncafar likes this.
  11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah don't buy it. And I venture if you ask anyone who hasn't heard that quote, pretty much none of them would say that either. 99.999% of them would say "The Jedi returned with Luke," because that's what the ACTUAL MOVIE shows us.

11-4D and The Regular Mustache like this.
  12. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Yeah but part of this is Anakin used to be a Jedi and Luke awoke that part of him.

It's even more interesting when considering the PT. Anakin lost faith in the Jedi and didn't see them living up to their own ideals. In the beginning of ROTS he breaks from the Jedi way when he kills Dooku. Then Mace breaks from the Jedi way from Anakin's POV by wanting to kill Palpatine rather than having him stand trial. Luke however acts as a true Jedi and revives those ideals in his father. So Anakin dies a Jedi.

Luke's recurring point to Vader in ROTJ is that he's forgotten who he really is.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  13. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I like Rey but doesn’t making her a random give her a pretty boring biography? Nothing that interesting happened to her until TFA.

Even Luke in ANH had a more interesting backstory: son of a Jedi who was killed by Darth Vader, friends with a mystical wizard Kenobi. I’m intrigued!

Rey, if she’s really random isn’t intriguing. There’s nothing interesting about her backstory. She’s not connected to anybody interesting and she did nothing but scavenge parts for 19 years until BB-8 showed up.

Finn, Poe, even Rose, Hux, and Phasma have interesting backstories. With Rey and her random backstory what is there to learn? Seemingly nothing. Fifteen years of mining spare parts to buy inflatable bread. That’s ostensibly it.

14. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Isn't there that Rey adventure comic or something about her saving Unkar from goons or something? I think they can fill in a backstory for Rey that is more interesting than one might expect.

I mean if Rey had been kidnapped from Luke and dumped on Jakku, it would have been the same number of years scavenging parts. That isn't affected by her being "Random" or not.

15. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    But in that kidnapping scenario we might learn that Rey knew she was kidnapped which could be interesting. If not it would be interesting to see Rey trying to process that the losers she thought were her parents were in fact not and that her real dad is Luke Skywalker. Sure that doesn’t change Rey’s history of scavenging for years but it’s part of her past that would make her character in the present more layered and it would effect her relationship with the people in her life. Learning that she’s related to Kylo and some of the OT cast would create more layers of drama.

16. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    To me, it doesn't create more layers and drama necessarily. It can be dramatic and layered either way.

17. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    You sound as evil as Kylo.

"You come from nothing. You're nothing. You have no part in this story."

Just because her background isn't super-zoinks-exciting, doesn't make it any less tragic. And doesn't change her worth to the story.

Many were also pissed when the prequels started and we learned Anakin was just a kid slave who then joined the Jedi.

No coming from a long multi generation dynasty of Jedi Skywalker's for thousands of years, that many of us thought. (And immaculate conception was worse)

The whole slave thing as an origin was a turn off, until we saw what Lucas was doing with the narrative.

jaqen, hermiona52 and Akane like this.
  18. Akane

Akane Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2018
    I believe that nothing interesting had happened to Luke until ANH, Rey's life on Jaku has more potential for adventures than Luke's life on Tatooine under the care of his uncle. In ANH Leia, the rebel princess, and Han, the space smuggler, were the ones who had the interesting past. Luke becomes a more complex character thanks to someone else: Vader, and there's nothing wrong with that, it's a different way of telling a story. Rey is interesting for me because of the decisions she makes and for remaining a decent person despite all the bad things she has experienced, which demonstrates how strong she had to be in order not to allow herself to be consumed by negative feelings.

jaqen, Lost_Hope, rorow1 and 3 others like this.
  19. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    That's true. From comics, to Lego shorts, to Forces of Destiny, they show a lot of adventures of Rey on Jakku before TFA events.

Akane, rorow1 and oncafar like this.
  20. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Wow, hyperbole much. Rey is a character, not a real person. Its not evil to say her backstory is boring.

21. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Exactly. Also I can recognize that she’s had a tragic childhood but narratively speaking it’s kinda thin and boring.

I can see that I do sound like Kylo but he’s kinda got a point narratively speaking. The Force could have picked somebody else and they would have played the same role as Rey if she’s really a random.

11-4D likes this.
  22. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    It makes it her own story. Not the story of Luke, or Leia, or Obi Wan, but her own. Something free, open and unpredictable.

Something we've not seen since Luke Skywalker circa 1977.

Her story can literally go anywhere. Something radically foreign to Star Wars fans. And thus, it seems like she can't have much story to tell, when it's actually the exact opposite.

hermiona52, oncafar and Akane like this.
  23. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Not really what he said, at all. A character doesn't have to have a completely irrelevant and empty backstory for them to stand on their own. If Rey had a backstory, her story still could have gone anywhere. Luke's story was his own, despite an interesting backstory. Same with basically every successful protagonist ever written.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  24. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    On the flip side I think a late ReySky reveal in Ep. 9 would be a way to give Rey time in the ST to establish herself as her own character who can stand on her own while also telling us that she is related to Luke.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  25. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    It's not happening. And as long as fans keep holding on to the old ways, this desperate need to connect the new heroes biologically to the old, you're missing the entire point, purpose and scope of Disney-LFL's approach to Star Wars.

If you're not into Rey for Rey at this point, then you're just not into Rey period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.