main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Exactly this!

I've been trying to explain this to people for years now every time someone mentions how stupid and incompetent stormtroopers are. (I know, I'm fun at parties.)

The fact that most viewers are unable to realize the stomrtroopers on board the Death Star in ANH were ordered to let the rebels flee just shows how little some people think when they watch the movie.

It also makes me very sad that Lucasfilm decided to go the way of ridiculing stormtroopers and portraying them as completely incompetent, instead as an elite combat force.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s more because of the whole losing to the Ewoks thing I think.

3. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    [QUOTE="Vialco, post: 54938273, member: 1287847"Except in Rebels, of course. The Empire was deadly in Rogue One too. Makes me sad that Rebels is considered part of the film canon.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk[/QUOTE] Imperial stormtroopers on Jedha are pretty bad when they fight Chirrut- sure he has excellent hearing, echolocation box or whatever and he trusts the Force- still he is blind man, not force-sensitive and he beats them up with a stick- sure he might have died without Baze but anyways not really make stormies look effective when blind man beats them up.... I can accept that stormtroopers on backwater worlds like Lothal or Jedha are poor, but seems that every single stormtrooper is considered bad shooter, stupid and incompetent.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    MandaloreRex2015 and Vialco like this.
  4. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Love the meme, but why does every ignore the fact that there's a whole Rebel commando team on Endor doing their part to thin the Empire's numbers? The Ewoks just knock stormtroopers over or out, but our heroes and the Rebel team are doing a **** ton of the heavy lifting in that battle.

So the Empire wasn't just defeated by a bunch of teddy bears. They were distracted by the Teddy Bears and defeated by the Alliance soldiers. And a commandeered AT-ST.

Rennzwerg and Swashbucklingjedi like this.
  5. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Yeah, one of the flaws of rebels throughout the run was treating Imperial forces--even elite ones later on--like keystone kops, which didn't do well for tension, or establishing the threat they referred to the Empire as. There were flashes of competence here and there, but that was it. Even the stormies in RO were crack special ops next to their Rebels counterparts. One particularly egregious moment in the finale was them unable to hit Ezra hovering in the air--and these were meant to be more seasoned troops on Thrawn's flagship.

6. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I always thought that it is not that unbelievable as people make it out to be- they were completely unprepared to fight ewoks- their equipment doesn't suit at all to primitive combat with spears and rocks. It is overconfidence and unpreparedness that may cause failure even against much more poorly equipped army.

Real life history too has examples of such battles . Other example is of course Vietnam war which I think Endor is based on. Besides is often forgotten that Empire didn't even lose fight to ewok army in ROTJ- ewoks were only helping the rebel elite commandos that also included veterans like CT-7567 aka Rex, Chewbacca famed wookiee warrior, Princess Leia, daughter of the Chosen One no less (who was wounded). And after the surprise attack Empire managed to take upper hand in battle it was not even prepared for, at least until Chewbacca took control of their At-St and Han used it to feed wrong info to bunker officers and outwitted them. At that point imperials are poorly organized- scattered across the woods without proper orders, not knowing what is really going on. Imperials did not lose on Endor just because they couldn't hit ewoks (which are btw very hard to hit because they are small, fast, have better camouflage and know the terrain much better). Also I always thought ewoks are stronger and more hardy than they look.

Just what I was saying at the same time:cool:.

And btw that meme is not mine- found it but I agree wholeheartedly. Sure character shields are strong in OT as well- like on Bespin troopers shoot without hitting the heroes and there is really no convenient excuse for that. But in Rebels they hardly ever even wound anyone.

Vialco and Master_Rebado like this.
  7. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I think the answer to the Lothal Imperials being less than competent is the fact that prior to the Ghost showing up, there was no resistance. Because of this, the Imperials conscripted random dingbats and threw stormtrooper armor on them. We also saw in season 1 that the best conscripts get sent away for force sensitivity screening - perhaps even outright execution.
    Now when Vader comes into play with the 501st, that's another story entirely. These are the guys who kicked Rebel ass during Siege of Lothal. They're the same guys who later boarded the Tantive IV and cleaned up house. Vader gets the well trained elites and they don't mess around.
    As for Thrawn, he's an officer. His effectiveness stems from his stratagem, not the efficiency of his troops.

8. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    What a series. Hats off to Dave Filoni and the entire cast and crew. Clone Wars may have been a bit more adventurous and experimental, but Rebels had stronger characters and a more resonant narrative.

Fandalorian likes this.
  9. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I'd be interested to hear why people think Ezra was a stronger character than Ahsoka. Not trying to bait, I'm genuinely interested to hear what people see in him. He's always come across as immature and childish to me.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Even in his confrontation with Thrawn?

11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'm honestly not crazy about either of those characters, but there's no denying that each got a prominent arc in their respective series.

12. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    The Imperials are actually winning the battle until Chewbacca takes over the AT-ST. And of course without Chewie commandeering that AT-ST, Han wouldn't be able to fool the Imperials, the shield generator would not be blown up, the Rebel fleet would be obliterated and Luke would end up trapped on the second Death Star with his father's corpse.

13. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    So Chewie is the real hero?
    [​IMG]

14. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    Exactly.

The entire galaxy owns him one.

cwustudent likes this.
  15. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    Well, when they "met" previously in "Flight of the Defender", all Ezra could say to him was "Hi" or something like that. Not exactly eloquent or dominant.

His progression in the last few episodes was quite staggering. I did not care for Ezra much for most of the show but he did grow on me in the latter stages of this season.

The final confrontation with Thrawn was a little overdone for me, like the series finale in general. Ezra 100% perfect, Thrawn 100% morally wrong (down to Ezra's "you just take art" comment which annoyed me quite a bit - I get it, Thrawn is one of the bad guys but he can still be respectful to art without making him a nice guy).

So, yeah, the final Ezra was super polished but in many episodes he provided the comic relief (jet packs...).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

AplagueOnTheWise and Vialco like this.
  16. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    the jet pack thing was more a reference to the Rocketeer than comedy, but it works for either.

17. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Isn't that just a fan theory though?

18. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Leia does say that being allowed to escape is the 'only explanation for the ease of it', so there's some firm basis in the films.

And even then, she and R2 got hit by Imperial fire during the bunker scene on Endor--still making the stormtroopers there considerably more of a threat than ever on Rebels. ;)

Vialco likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yet those same troopers were taken out by teddy bears.

20. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Yes...after their armor support was taken out and then turned against them, and those same teddy bears were, let me remind you, vicious little monsters that conduct human sacrifice, as well as having the upper body strength to lift huge rocks like they were styrofoam props. ;)

Vialco likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I just don’t think Rebels is the reason they were portrayed like that. It all started in ROTJ.

22. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Yeah, but Rebels cranked it up to ludicrous levels and seemed more based on memes than the actual films. It wouldn't be so bad, if at least Death Troopers or the likes of the 501st got decent showings.

Rennzwerg and Vialco like this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The 501st did not appear in the show. The death troopers were portrayed poorly though.

24. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    The stormtroopers that Vader bought down could've conceivably be the 501st--and to be fair, that was one time when stormtroopers on the show seemed vaguely more capable than usual, actually using thermal detonators to try and flush out the rebels and things like that.

25. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    would've loved a Cody/Rex cameo