main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey & Kylo Ren in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sforza, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milena

milena Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2018
    That's right, it's pillow wrinkles in the shape of foreshadowing.

Lost_Hope and Dragon Jedi like this.
  2. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I've always wondered why he wanted that in there, since it didn't really play a role in TLJ.

We'll see.

I've found that there are some discrepancies between the different novelizations. However, since they all do have to be vetted, there's presumably some truth to each. I tend to composite info into each. For example, some have stated that the adult novel has Kylo mostly sad over his rejection as the very end while the jr. book has him angry and feeling betrayed. He could be experiencing both emotions, but one source chose to focus on one aspect. As a real-life example, theologians who study the Synoptic Gospels use the differences in details to construct a more complete picture of the events accounted, much like we can blend the TLJ novelizations together to get a larger picture.

All novelizations are based on earlier drafts and will have discrepancies. Even the TLJ novel will have stuff that contradicts the movie (even if it's just extending scenes with extra "footage" that can't be fit in "off camera," like how the TFA one had a longer conversation with Snoke and Kylo despite the movie showing a shorter version that happened in "real time").

3. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    I didn't either. Wonder why they added it. I don't think that's a sleep mark. That mark is on his right (like the scar from Rey.) In all of the flashbacks, he is sleeping on his left. It's too grooved. But I like the idea of foreshadowing. Okay, nerd in me wants the back story.

And yes, Chorus, I want to see the calligraphy nerdery return in IX with a purpose. I just love the idea of nodding to the traditional religious education of the middle ages. Those students not only copied the texts into illuminated manuscripts, but they also tended to know a lot of the text by rote memory.

Would love for this to be referenced in IX in a way where either the texts Rey have get destroyed or their are pages missing that are of significance and the only person who knows what were written on the pages is Ben Solo because he copied them as a student. Give the present day Kylo Ren a pen, and he and Rey can finally learn what was missing. Let that be the macguffin toward balance or something. I'd love to see that level of collaboration if they are on the same side.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  4. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Rey to Kylo: The pen is mightier than the saber!

Valency Jane and Birkendoc like this.
  5. milena

Jan 5, 2018
    Ben Solo is such a nerd.

6. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    The nerd in me would actually love for this to be a twist in the series. Knowledge is mightier than a lightsaber battle. It hints that Ben Solo was a brainy nerd in his adolescence. Let's see where this skill takes him.

Valency Jane, milena and oncafar like this.
  7. milena

Jan 5, 2018
    Kylo to Rey: only if the sword is very short and the pen is very sharp.

Valency Jane and oncafar like this.
  8. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    seriously, love discussing the whole middle ages lore with you. Come to mod, stay for some fun.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The monastic aspect of the Jedi is the coolest thing. The idea that Ben was trained in oral and written history by Luke makes me giddy. I don't know that Luke had access to those original texts until he arrived at the tree but I hope he did because it makes the idea of how Luke ran his academy infinitely more appealing.

10. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    [​IMG]

11. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    Ben Solo is very knowledgeable.
    This skill will take him to start a new jedi order.

"Skywalker lives. The seed of the Jedi order lives. As long as it does, HOPE lives in the galaxy."

"Ben Solo is our last hope."

Bonus -
    "If Skywalker returns, the new Jedi will rise."
    Hint - if Kylo Ren returns to the light, the new kind of Jedi will rise.

They are leaving hints all over the movies and its not subtle at all. ;)

Valency Jane, hermiona52 and milena like this.
  12. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    I was just listening to this song the other day after I downloaded Bring On the Night (great live Sting album for the record.)

Dragon Jedi likes this.
  13. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    If not those texts, he probably had others.

Star war likes this.
  14. milena

Jan 5, 2018
    I wonder what Jedi insights he scribbled on those parchment scrolls?

[​IMG]

NileQT87, Valency Jane and oncafar like this.
  15. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    Not just the Jedi insights.
    Kylo knows about Sith teachings too.
    This guy knows all aspects of the force.
    Hmmm....
    Good for him.

milena likes this.
  16. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Guess you turned off the movie after hearing that line... The movie clearly showed that Rey was wrong about Ben being their last hope and realized that she herself is their last hope. But whatevs.

17. Dragon Jedi

Dragon Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2018
    The lyrics are simply mesmerising. Inspired by Louis de Ponite du Lac, a very tortured vampire of A. Rice's "Interview with a Vampire" , it could very well suit another "villain" too much drawn by the light ;).
    Yeah, Bring on the Night is cool. "I Burn for You" has been my obsession for years.

18. Dragon Jedi

Jan 2, 2018
    Absolutely agree, being "The Name of the Rose" my favourite book ever and having grown up close to the monastery that inspired the book.
    If I remember well Yoda is teasing Luke, doubting he has ever read all those sacred texts.... or did I get it wrong?

19. Dragon Jedi

Jan 2, 2018
    I have the adult novelisation (Kindle version) and nowhere it is written that he is sad over the rejection. Soon after he realises that Rey left him, he scorns her sentimentalism for letting him live.
    Once on Crait it is written over and over that he is hurt and afraid. Rage is there too and "cruelty—a lust to deform and destroy everything around him, to blot it out and erase it."
    If we look at the image offered by film of a planet covered with salt over a blood red core, I think that "hurt" is at any rate correct.
    A deliriously hurt Kylo Ren, gone mad with pain, fear, rage and nihilistic attitude towards everything around him is the final picture provided the adult novelisation.

Adam Driver has the last word though, you can read what you want on his face during the last bond. R. Johnson suggests "regret". I personally read kill-me-now-and-be-done-with-it.

Star war and Valency Jane like this.
  20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I don't think he ever did. Yoda asks "Read them have you?" and, before he can say "Page turners they were not", Luke gives a nervous "Well..."

Star war and Dragon Jedi like this.
  21. Dragon Jedi

Jan 2, 2018
    Oh yes, I forgot a curious one: jealousy. Talking to Luke he is jealous about Rey
    Since Luke never wanted to train Rey, it sounds odd. Unless it is a projection: "she chose you (the old ways) over me" then it would make sense. But honestly I don't get that.

22. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Haven't had a chance to read it yet myself and was going off of other poster's suggestions. Based on this comment and the clues in the jr. novel, I'm getting the sense that Kylo being redeemed is not very likely to be the intent of the movie in the here and now.

I see.

23. ReyRandom

ReyRandom Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2018
    I'm currently on chapter 8 of the novel and I found an interesting tidbit

During Leia's monologue she talks about how Anakin fell to he dark side due to posessive love and Luke brought him back to the light due to familial love. Leia also mentions that emotional attachments were forbidden in the old Jedi Order but Luke went against his teachers (Obi Wan and Yoda).

I know where this is heading. Ben can only be saved by love! This is what many Reylos have been saying since day 1. I hope its a mixture of familial and romantic love however.

Valency Jane and Akane like this.
  24. M70ko

M70ko Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 25, 2018
    Just dropping another tought in here...
    Both sides (pro-Kylo, anti-Kylo) have enough reasons to believe he should or shouldn't die as the villain... That he can have a good life or that he doesn't deserve such a thing.
    The difference lies in what do you want it to be...
    I myself would always wait.. I believe life is full of second chances, we have them everyday. Of course in movies these situations are taken over the standards... So it is hard to imagine how it could be in real life. But I think the idea is to know how much can we hope for goodness to overcome evil, and I'm not talking about an external and destructive war, but about that choice we can a make within ourselves. I'm still hoping and will hope regardless of all that has happened...
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with hoping. Cause hope doesnt mean you would let the evilness of someone hurt more people, that you would stand there like nothing is happening around you... And that's why it was important that Rey left Kylo and didn't accept his proposal.
    So, she has nothing else to do there, except hoping that he makes the right decision. And I'm sure she will never stop hoping.
    I think by now we all know Kylo can only save himself. We're just waiting for it to happen :)

Valency Jane and Birkendoc like this.
  25. ReyRandom

ReyRandom Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2018
    Hello heres the TLJ audiobook excerpt where Rey is contemplating waiting for Ben and Across the Stars plays in the background!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.