main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Now that Rebels is over, I'm crossing my fingers for a 2D animated series or a different art style approach if 3D must bencontinued. I never really warmed to the Rebels style.

2. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I liked Rebels visual style better than TCW was honestly. Forces of Destiny on the other hand [face_sick].... That show looks very cheap and not good at all. Even Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars is better than that, while I personally hate that caricature -style as well. But apples and oranges I guess.... different people like different styles. Only thing in Rebels that bugged me a bit was Darth Vader's look, I would have preferred more movie accurate style. Inquisitor design was also bit bad- I liked the first guy and even his tricksaber was ok, but seventh sister and fifth brother and that stupid saber copter just were not cool.

3. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Looking back, I like the TCW style over Rebels, but neither are my preference. The 'personality' of the Rebels style just isn't for me. Sometimes, I'd catch myself distracted at how a lot of the characters look like marionettes, and there's a blandness to a lot of the environments (I always thought Lothal in particular looked very uninspiring).

DBPirate and Snafu55 like this.
  4. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I liked Tartakovsky's Clone Wars Micro Series a lot. [face_talk_hand] The only thing that really bugged me about it though, was when Anakin ate the big worm/snake creature. He sucked it up whole, like it was a piece of spaghetti. [face_sick] Obi-Wan wasn't too thrilled. [face_laugh]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    podjazd and kalzeth like this.
  5. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    So, because I'm bored, I just noticed Lucasfilm Animation posted an ad for an Episodic Director for a new un-named series on their careers site about a month ago and it's still there, so they either haven't found one yet or are hiring multiple positions. https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/san-francisco/director-episodic-project-hire/391/7030408

The requirements mention managing 3d storyboarding artists, so I suspect it'll be another 3d animated series, which I'm fine with. Truth be told, way back at the beginning of TCW, the stiff wooden appearances took a little getting used to, but in time I warmed to them. Rebels, seemed alot more fluid and natural to me. But, I just hope whatever animation style they go with they stay at least vaguely realistic. There's lots of series out there these days that I've been told are really good, but I just simply can not get over the animation style long enough to actually watch them.

6. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    One day we'll get the Knights of the Old Republic series.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I call him David Filoni. :p

8. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    After the finale, it looks like the next show is going to be after ROTJ. I just hope it doesn't turn into Fixing the Plot of the ST: The Television Series.

Regarding the art styles, the animation of Rebels definitely improved over the course of the show, but it never reached the heights of TCW's later seasons. And I agree, @redxavier, the locations suffered due to the animation.

kalzeth likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think it best if they stick with the Rebels style just so they can continue to improve it.

10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    A lot of us here really disliked Rebels animation at the start. The promo shorts didn't go down very well.

TetsuAero likes this.
  11. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Rebels animation is acceptable, though not really matching the best of Clone wars.

12. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    True, I rewatch the Umbara arc about once a year (it is the peak of TCW for me) and Rebels never had anything comparable to the space battle in the night sky.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course, I may be wrong on this.

13. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    It's only going to improve from the visuals point of view :)

14. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i always wondered that since the new animated show will probably be on the disney streaming service that they are trying to get off the ground if the new animated show will still be restricted like Rebels was or if they will have a lot more leeway.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  15. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I have no issues with characters looks, but I agree that Lothal is pretty uninspiring and rather bland looking planet. Just sunburn grasslands and round rocks, some snow near polar regions. Architecture is also sleek, simple without ornamentation or any distinctive style. But then again there is really uninspiring bland looking landscapes and areas in real world as well and Lothal was meant to be rather unimportant and uninspiring world in-universe- finding jedi temple there was also surprise because it was not historically important world like Jedha or Moraband for example. I think that part of the problem was that they took too heavily inspiration from Ralph McQuarrie concepts but many of them were already used and what was left was perhaps not the best stuff there... I dunno but Lothal was well designed to look like world that no one but locals really care about, that was part of the idea. Compared to Lothal even Tatooine looks rather interesting with two native species with their own cultures etc.

kalzeth likes this.
  16. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    Considering how Rebels ended, dose anyone else feel like they are setting up the next animated series to take place in the 30 year gap between VI & VII? That's the sense I got with the ending narration from Sabine.

17. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Personally, I think the next Animated series will begin shortly after the Battle of Jakku (The official End of the Empire) Leia mention in the Bloodline Novel that they had enjoyed a period of peace, so with peace in their Galaxy, that seems to be a perfect time to go off and explore.

18. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    I think they finished the whole season a year or so ago, so I'm assuming Dave is already working on something, I pray its following on from what we saw.

19. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    We shouldn't expect the animated shows now to look as good as TCW did. The only reason TCW did look as good as it did was because it had a multi billionaire behind the scenes willing to spend as much as it took to make it look top notch.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I agree, that's why I want them to stick to one style.

Mandalorian Riddler likes this.
  21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
  22. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I just linked to the thread since it already had one of the articles on it already. If you want to look at an official article just google Jon Favreau's name.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Next animated series idea - I'm thinking like Quantum Leap esque / Gargoyles World Tour storyline

Ezra and Thrawn come out of Hyperspace. They don't know where they are. The giant purrgil that has Thrawn wrapped in his tentacles jumps again after Thrawn is able to stab it. They disappear together leaving Ezra alone with a baby purrgil that begins to cry. Ezra uses the Force to realize the baby belongs to the big mama purrgil that just disappeared with Thrawn. Ezra believes this may be Kanan or Ahsoka or someone speaking to him through the Force (like the wolfs/convor), so he makes it his responsibility to reunite the baby with his mother. Each week, the baby purrgil travel to a destination after destination looking for mama. While they are at each destination, they need to help the people, the animals, the planet in some way.

I think you can do this for a sustain this for a dozen episodes, until Ezra and Thrawn meet again at the end of the season to setup the next season.

This can be mixed with Ahsoka and Sabine present day adventures and following clues that Ezra left in the "past" - the past in relation to Sabine's point of view since she's been on Lothal for the past 5 years.

revan772 likes this.
  24. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Maybe Ahsoka and Sabine could enlist the aid of a certain galactic explorer when their search carries them into a remote, untamed region of the galaxy.

revan772 likes this.
  25. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    After that finale I'd agree with pretty much everyone - the next animated series will be post-Jedi (most likely post Jakku) and build on the foundations Rebels just laid. That said, I think it might be more like Clone Wars, with multiple focuses, rather than focusing on a single family. So you'd have Sabine and Ahsoka searching for Ezra, Hera & Chopper (& young Jacen!) maybe aiding the fledgling New Republic. Ezra and Thrawn in the unknown regions. Plus the OT heroes. Luke & R2 looking for Jedi knowledge and crossing paths with Ahsoka & Sabine, maybe joining them in exploring the unknown regions. Han & Leia working with Hera and other Rebel veterans against new threats (and maybe Thrawn's return?)

Live action is harder to predict. The Old Republic era makes the most sense. It's extremely popular with fans but there's not really a lot nailed down in canon now. They could very easily do multiple connected Old Republic era shows (like Netflix's Marvel shows) and effectively give live action tv/streaming its own era to play with. But then there's the new film series from the GoT guys. If that's Old Republic then maybe we are looking at something based on the original concept of a post-ROTS Underworld series for streaming. Or maybe it's Legacy era? Can't really see them doing that before IX releases but I guess never say never.

kalzeth likes this.