main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015
    oh ffs WHY DID THEY CUT THIS

11-4D and Ryanpaulstewart like this.
  2. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    It is certainly better than what we got in TLJ... which isn't saying much !

The deleted scene is still pretty stupid : from the corny dialog ("you squealed like a whooped hog"), to Phasma losing a hand for no reason : isn't Finn's weapon a STUN baton, designed for crowd control. Plus, if it could sever a hand like that, then Finn should have a giant hole in his chest !!! And Phasma acting "business as usual" after that just makes it even worse ...
    This was another bad & unnecessary callback (without the dramatic weight of the original) : useless.

We're quite far from "Finn trying to convince his fellow Stormtroopers to join him", like some early reports suggested. THAT would have been interesting to see.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Jozgar, Solo88 and Rickleo123 like this.
  3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I like what that alternate version of Phasma's death is going for, but I prefer the version we got. I do wish she had more screentime, I like Finn confronting her for the self-serving hypocrite she is (love the way the quadruple-kill was shot and edited), and I hope this hints at Finn sparking a stormtrooper revolt against the First Order in IX, but this would have slowed down the pace at a critical part in the film. By this point, the second half of Act II is just about over (Johnson has stated he likes to split his second acts in half, and I think that's pretty clear in the film's structure) and Act III is just about ready to begin. Any unnecessary drag could have resulted in needless restlessness.

Ody_Mandrell likes this.
  4. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I think it’s much better than what we got, but I think the way Phasma shoots all the STs looks stupid. There were way too many of them for her to pull that off, and none are shown reacting as their compatriots get shot down. Then for whatever reason, she stops shooting to sass Finn. I could live with that last part because it’s silly SW, but I think the drama of that moment warranted more than two lines of dialogue and a close up of Phasma’s hand as she shoots like seven STs instantly.

2Cleva, La Calavera, Shadao and 3 others like this.
  5. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Seriously, I like that Phasma scene a bit better. The dialogue could use a little tweaking. It is a little slow, but it could have been sped up better. Meh.

La Calavera and Shadao like this.
  6. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I like the additional dialogue but i also had allowed my own imagination to run wild on some big speech about a Stormtrooper uprising. Some cool moments though. I like how she shoots all the guys who might turn on her.

I actually prefer the side scrolling fight we got though. It’s more Jedi inspired with the low angle and is arguably the most devotion given to a fight between 2 humans in SW history as a result.

If only Han and Boba Fett had a duel like the one we get between Finn and Phasma instead of that stupid weirdly accidental booster getting activated and Boba Fett bouncing off the wall like a basketball into the pit like a 3 point shot.

7. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I thought that deleted part came after the fight we saw because she has the cracked helmet. So it would be what was in TLJ + that.

I mean, I really agree it is too slow paced, but it could have been redone a bit faster. For instance rather than Phasma saying, "Who would believe a story like that?" and looking around fearfully, she could have shot all the stormtroopers immediately in response and then said something else, while advancing on Finn. It wouldn't be difficult to get the pace moving so it's mostly action and not standing around staring for long moments.

I love how she goes flying away after he shoots her. That should have been kept. I also like him verbally confronting her about her cowardice.

Also, one can see actual hatred from Finn in this feeding into how he wants to destroy the FO at the end out of *hatred*.

Lastly, I missed the adjective of her screaming like a <what?> and think that whole line should have been replaced. The dialogue needs help.

Shadao likes this.
  8. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Yikes the scene sounds better than it was actually executed. Very cringe dialogue, misplaced humor and Boyega's acting is a bit on the nose as well. I like it in concept but I could see why it was cut from the film.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003

Too much accomplishment and not enough mop jokes.

10. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Rian: so we have to cut this scene
    John:
    [​IMG]

oncafar, 2Cleva, leopardhk47 and 8 others like this.
  11. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Star Wars: John Boyega Responds to Group That Attacked 'The Last Jedi' on Rotten Tomatoes

With aggregated review sites like Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic impacting movies' successes, so too comes the downside of user engagement in the age of the Internet.

Both Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Black Panther were subject to campaigns from people who wanted to put a dent in their success before the films even hit theaters, for slights perceived or otherwise. Actor John Boyega addressed that issue during an interview with Huffington Post, being asked what he thought about campaigns to tank the movie's scores on Rotten Tomatoes.

"I would say that they need to definitely get job applications to utilize their time for a much more suitable thing," said Boyega. "I think they’re too bored. We need to get more people working for their jobs, man. I think like, don’t you have a family? And time? I don’t understand it."

Boyega was directly referencing users of a Facebook group that claimed credit for tanking the new Star Wars movie's user score on Rotten Tomatoes. The group then attempted to organize efforts to do the same to Black Panther, but was ultimately shut down.

Despite the efforts of some people, both Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Black Panther have been some of the most successful movies at the box office in recent months.

The latest in Lucasfilm's saga cracked the $1 billion mark in total gross sales, and Black Pantherseems destined to do the same in the coming weeks.

Boyega has faced controversy for his involvement before, having to deal with racism after the first trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens revealed him as a helmet less Stormtrooper in the opening shot. But the actor seems to relish in optimism, pointing out how these movies have come to mean a lot to many people.

"I don’t really think it’s that deep. I think Black Panther has done what it’s done because of the creativity and great work," Boyega added. "And I think a few people saying they’re going to [mess] with Rotten Tomatoes marks ain’t gonna do nothing, man. We give too much attention to those who don’t deserve it."

He's not wrong. While we're not one to question how anyone spends their time, it's strange to see that people can get so worked up over forms of entertainment that have no bearing on someone's quality of life.

link: http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/...di-rotten-tomatoes-black-panther-john-boyega/

Darth Downunder and Akane like this.
  12. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    The deleted scene has its problems, but I still think it's somewhat better than the final version.

It does two things that are very worthy. Firstly, it actually reckons with the complete loss of credibility that Phasma suffered in TFA. After being threatened, she drops the shields and thus betrays her state's interests. There's no coming back from that humiliation, and the material effects of her cowardice are truly destructive to her side. Secondly, it depicts Finn as cunning and ruthless, and also able to speak to his former comrades on their level.

13. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Deleted scene is aweome!

14. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Agreed. No, it's not perfect, but it adds something worthwhile to the film's infinitesimal conflict between Phasma and Finn, and gives Finn some improvisational moral victories in exposing Phasma's failures to her troops and presumably introducing the possible Stormtrooper Revolt subplot. And to be honest, I like Boyega's more restrained delivery of "rebel scum" in the deleted scene; it feels more like a quiet recognition of how Finn is intrinsically exactly what he was trained to fight and now realizes that's a good thing, as compared to a fairly lame rejoinder.

It still feels like Johnson only had one scene focused on what should probably have been the meta of Finn's story, but it feels like an objectively more engaging story than what we got in the movie.

15. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    My guess is that they cut it for the same reason they cut the speeder chase scene in TFA.

16. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    The scene has it's problems but it's better than the final cut and at least showcases the traits Finn exhibited in TFA, namely improvisation and persuasion.

Blastaar, wobbits, Jedi Jessy and 7 others like this.
  17. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I wonder... If that rumor fo a Tom Hardy cameo is true, will we see a deleted scene that implies one of the Stormtroopers on the platform is him? And that he and the others know Finn?

Because the more I think about it, the more I like the simple fact that the Stormtroopers show some human characteristics in this deleted scene. I almost feel that alone might have made it more impactful in the film, even if the Finn and Phasma bonus is arguably more important.

modaubr and QuangoFett like this.
  18. Kurenai24

Kurenai24 Jedi Knight

Dec 26, 2017
    Apparently in an interview Boyega didn't expect his fight scene with Phasma to be so quick b/c Finn was being ramped up for a big fight and then it was over in a second.

19. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Those Stormtroopers didn't take much convincing did they? Makes you wonder how the First Order is so powerful with so little trust and commitment in their ranks.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  20. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Also makes sense given his social media pics showing his workout routine, and him talking about "Finn ain't playing around anymore."

-LordSkywalker- and 11-4D like this.
  21. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    http://www.slashfilm.com/finn-love-interest/

John...JJ likes you, he's the one that wanted to work with you...he's likely on your side when it comes to making Finn stronger as I genuinely believe that was always his intent. This is your chance to ensure Finn's glorious future....we can't save Rey...she's lost...but Finn could still rise to the occasion.

Addendum: I'm kidding about Rey

I always KNEW you were sensible and smart, John. You've been a wonderful team player...and Daisy likely would be onboard with this as well since she missed working with you. You're going to talk to JJ soon, go for the hat trick and give the fans the best ending possible at this point.

22. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Poor guy. Hope Pacific Rim does well.

23. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I hate to say this...but the first Pacific Rim didn't exactly light the world on fire....so I am really not expecting this sequel to do well at the box office. John's likeable and capable enough as a lead...but I just don't think the interest is there among st the general audience for a Pacific Rim movie to make a ton of money. Now I could be wrong....Jumanji and Get out did far better than I anticipated...so we shall see.

24. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Pacific Rim isn't popular like Star Wars but at least Boyega plays the protagonist
    [​IMG]

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  25. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    oh no doubt. With some more takes and direction, they could've tightened the scene up nicely.