main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yeah my feeling is that if Rey really is a random it would’ve been cooler if her backstory was more interesting than “ I was abandoned by lame parents, scavenged parts for years and then joined the Resistance “.

At least Luke had the backstory in a ANH that his dad was a Jedi killed by Vader.

DARTH_BELO, La Calavera and 11-4D like this.
  2. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    You don't find Rey's backstory interesting. Fine. Plenty do, plenty don't.

Regardless, that's not what makes or breaks her character. Han Solo had no special background. Neither did Leia. Or Lando. Luke's backstory was interesting, but do you honestly think Luke's dead Jedi dad was the primary reason why he was so popular and well loved?

3. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    You're right.
    I meant to say as pretentious as Kylo. Not as evil as Kylo.

I guess I had too much Kylo on the brain.

Apologies to @The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache and jaqen like this.
  4. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    No one said that. It’s a strawman. You can like Rey without liking her lack of backstory. Han and Leia weren’t the main protagonists. Lando definitely wasn’t.

5. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    And how would Rey, being the exact same character, suddenly become instantly more layered and dynamic if her parents were people we already know?

How would her character change?

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  6. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    It could add depth the same way Vader’s backstory of once being a Jedi added depth. Or Obi-Wan and Vader once being friends added depth. The point was about interesting backstories, who said a thing about “people we already know”?

7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    So how does Rey's current, very painful, backstory not add depth?

You're confusing "depth" with "preference". Her backstory gives her depth, quite a bit actually. But it's not connected to the known saga, and characters. Which means that you're not looking for depth out of Rey, but rather layers for somebody else's story.

Which was the crux of all this nonsense from day one. People wanted to use Rey to provide depth, insight, purpose and validation to other characters. It's not about Rey's depth, one way or another.

8. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    No, you're still using the same strawman. Quote me where I said the only way to add depth to Rey was to make her related to someone we know. Please. Stop saying that.

You could have done a million different things with Rey Random, but random scavenger is what they went for. The argument was that it's boring to many, not that she isn't Luke's babygirl.

La Calavera likes this.
  9. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    You nailed it. I actually think Rey is great. She’s my favorite character in the ST. That said random person abandoned by parents who lived a humdrum life pre-TFA doesn’t leave us with a lot of backstory to dig into.

I’m interested in Rey in the present but Rey of the past is a little thin. I’d rather go into Ep. 9 wondering how Rey’s complicated backstory is going to effect her actions in the present. Unfortunately I don’t think that’s a possibility. They wrapped that up in TLJ.

For the record I don’t hate her backstory. I thought it played a great emotional beat in TLJ. I just wish there was more to it.

10. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Why would I quote you when my posts were directed to somebody else initially, and you jumped in screaming about strawmen? You insinuated your way into an exchange, there's nothing to prove to you.

Where MY point came in was in response to this point from Mustache:

"If Rey's a random then what personal story is there even left to tell about her in Ep. 9? Seems like her personal story is done..."

His post was all about the issue being her randomness. That post says 0 about wanting a different random backstory. The issue was that she's RANDOM, and thus, has no story. He even reiterated that in another post mentioning Luke and ReySky specifically.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    IncessantRamblings likes this.
  11. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Let’s all eat a snickers, self included.

12. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Then by all means quote The Regular Mustache where he said that... point still stands, it’s a strawman.

Random as in irrelevant backstory dude...

13. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Read my edit.

It's not a strawman. Mustache is the person who made a deal of her randomness, and then followed it up with a post using Luke and ReySky as examples.

Either process the whole argument, or bow out.

14. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Then read the other posts yourself. The main point wasn't "Being a Skywalker is the only way to make Rey interesting" because it was used as an example, the point was that as it stands her backstory is paper thin and irrelevant to the main story. You kept doubling down even when that was made clear.

15. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Heh I don’t know if it makes things better or worse if I admit that I wish Rey was Luke’s daughter. That said I also wish her backstory as a random was something other than the Jakku story we got.

Just to make things more annoying even if she was Luke’s kid I wish she had a different story than how she ended up on a Tatooine like planet and hung out there until fate rolled in.

16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Yes I know how you feel about Reywalker. It was obvious from your recent post, and the discussions/debates we've had in the past. Hence my addressing you, and not this other poster who keeps jumping in.

Thanks for clarifying your point.

But let me ask you, honestly. If the singular thing that changed about Rey's backstory is that we discover Luke is somehow her dad, would that alone make Rey's backstory more interesting for you? The presence of Luke?

17. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Nope. It would all depend on how they presented it. I wouldn’t be happy if they told us she’s Luke’s daughter without also giving us a good explanation how and why they were separated, what happened to her mom, and why Rey and Luke don’t seem to recognize each other in TLJ etc...

If they told us Rey was Luke’s kid and rolled credits I’d be very annoyed.

18. hermiona52

hermiona52 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2017
    I am almost finished with TLJ novelisation and Rey Skywalker... or any important bloodline in fact, all of them are dead.

Rey confirms multiple times through book that she herself knows the truth about her parents. That they left her, that they abandoned her and the realization about all of those years she wasted waiting for them just crashes her. After her vision in Dark Cave, she just falls to her knees completely broken, and just cries. She knew that if she stayed on Jakku, she would be just another nameless bones in its desert. What Ben says to her? He has a direct connection to her memories of which she knows too.

By the way, Rey is written superbly in this book. Her inner thoughts add so much her character, and although you can see most of it in the movie by itself, the book expands on it immensely. She is funny, fierce, hopeful, vulnerable. She really turns to my favourite character in Star Wars.

19. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Can't wait to read this novelization!

And yeah, TLJ should've killed all notions of Rey Related. But SW fans want what they want. There were people still folks swearing Palps and Sidious were separate people going into ROTS.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  20. hermiona52

hermiona52 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2017
    To be honest, if the movie itself didn't kill it, nothing ever will. In movie Rey herself speaks about it. Guess the main character doesn't know what she is saying. As is Kylo. So a book, that was written by an author who had notes from a director and with whom he met several times, which states multiple times Rey is abandoned orphan will never be enough. But it's sad because those people really set themselves for disappointment.

21. Little Ray Sunshine

Little Ray Sunshine Jedi Knight star 2

May 2, 2016
    Well, just coughing up a last name would do it for me. I mean how bad could their writers block be? Just throw some random syllables together. Maybe I can help them out, how about Loso? Hum…that does not look quite right…how about Solo? Yes, much better.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  22. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm starting to fall back into thinking Rey probably is a random person...BUT! Despite what the books says it still seems like it could be possible that Rey was kidnapped from Luke at an age where she was too young to remember him and therefore the only people she knows are the losers that abandoned her.

What if Snoke was involved in Rey's kidnapping? There's a theory out there that Luke was off his game by the time Ben Solo came to train with him. Perhaps Snoke played a long game where he had Rey kidnapped in order to harm the Skywalker/Solo family? Perhaps Rey being kidnapped had something to do with Ben turning to the dark side? Rey being kidnapped took Luke's head out the game and as a result he was too checked out to see that his nephew and some of his students were falling to the dark side. This is a huge win for Snoke. With Luke off his game Snoke steps in and sways Ben and perhaps some of Luke's students.

Perhaps when Snoke met Ben Solo he was all, "Luke couldn't even protect his own daughter. How can you respect him as a teacher if he can't protect his own family? Do you really think Luke will be able to protect you or train you well enough? Stick with me and I'll give you the power to protect yourself. Luke is distracted with thoughts of his lost little girl. My attention will be squarely focused on you young Solo".

I love this theory...and it's probably wrong. Ugh...

23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed. I get the points being made here, but IMO if it's true that Rey is just from some drunk junk dealers-then we already know the whole history-cos she literally grew up by herself, so there's nothing more to say about it. Which to me seems quite shallow and honestly....boring. Especially after all of TFA's alluding to some sort of link she has, and the fact that it seems obvious that Han Leia and even Chewie know who she is. I don't see anything wrong with her having some sort of significant relation to at least SOMETHING. IMO it deepens her character's meaning and purpose. I get the whole "stand on her own" thing, and the whole "a powerful Jedi hero could be anyone," but I agree with others here who have said that can still happen-even if she's a Solo, or Skywalker, or...whoever.

Personally, I feel we have not yet heard the truth (or at least the WHOLE truth) about who Rey really is. I think Kylo Ren was either lying to her, or perhaps thought he knew what he was seeing, but wasn't seeing the whole picture.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  24. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Rian has already said that JJ is going to be free to handle it however he wants, so it's as valid as anything else.

25. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    It's not really true though that Rey has to be related to the other characters for it to be a good story. This is seriously something I only see in Star Wars fandom.

jaqen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.