main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams To Score Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Articulate, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    IX will be his last Star Wars, but perhaps not his last film.

2. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Indy 5 is still on the schedule and there still can still be a surprise non-Spielberg/StarWar assignment (2013's The Book Thief and 2017's Dear Kobe).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  3. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
  4. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I have been assuming for a time now that his last score will be Indy 5 in 2020.

The Maestro will end his career close to 90 year old. Which is nothing but spectacular.

At the end of the day, if Lucas is the father of SW, JW is the mother IMO.

5. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    John Williams, to me, is the glue that holds the saga together. It was his scores that kept a spark of interest in Star Wars alive for me when I really wasn’t feeling TFA or TLJ, but now I’ve made my peace with both of those films and look forward to Episode IX as much as his final Star Wars score. I agree with him that completing the nine film saga is important, but it’s also enough.

Tho Yor, Kole, DarthBane93 and 4 others like this.
  6. Marathonjedi77

Marathonjedi77 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    J.J. was quoted as saying ep 9 would be the mother of all battles.I can't wait to hear what Williams comes up with to all these fights.It should be on par with or surpass Revenge of the Sith can't wait.Sorry if this got people excited for Official news lol.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    dolphin and cwustudent like this.
  7. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Good wishes to him. It's impressive he's conducting at age 86.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Here's hoping he recovers well.

I am also (albeit selfishly I admit) he will be recovered enough in time to still record the score for Episode IX!

10. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
  11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
  12. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
  13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    i'll just leave this here, even if it may be marginally off topic.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Sounds awesome!

chrcharcor2 likes this.
  15. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    What I really would love is having them using those two trailer soundtracks in Episode IX.

They were both too great to be wasted in trailers only

Storm_Cloud likes this.
  16. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    In particular the TLJ trailer music. I was waiting for it the whole time in the theatre.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  17. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
  18. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  19. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    Happy Birthday Maestro! Excited and can't wait to listen to your soundtrack for Episode IX this December! All the best for all of your future endeavours and thank you for everything. <3

Darth Smurf likes this.
  20. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    Happy birthday Mr Williams! I'm also looking forward to hear your music for Ep IX, I'm sure it will be fabulous again !

Indeed.

other people have noticed something else:

"The first three notes of Rey's theme are the last three notes in Kylo Ren's theme. That's all fine and well and by itself doesn't really tell us much. They were always meant to be mirror images of one another.

The interesting part is that these same three notes in reverse are the notes from Across the Stars... Padme and Anakin's love theme in the PT. Yep, in reverse...

Mind Blown!"

[​IMG]

Oissan and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  21. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    My favorite part of that theory is that John Williams thinks Rey is Luke's daughter and that Kylo was lying. He must be into some twisted stuff.

22. Mila Lazarus

Dec 29, 2018
    Well, JW said in 2016 that he believed Rey was Luke's daughter. After TLJ, he said this:

“Rey’s parents might be identified to us in the next film,” Williams said.
    When pressed further about Ren’s admission, Williams added,

“I don’t believe it either. Rey, of course, is played by Daisy Ridley, who I loved in ‘The Force Awakens’. And last year, when [Lucasfilm president] Kathy Kennedy rang me up and said, ‘Would you do the last music for The Last Jedi?’ I said to her, ‘Is Daisy in it?’ and she said yes, so I said yes”.

he doesn't seem to believe that Rey is Luke's daughter anymore, or if he does he doesn't say it. Anyways, it's quite clear that John Williams has no idea of what the truth is... he wasn't even sure that Rey would be in TLJ LOL There's an interesting theory here:

According to the guy who made the video, JW knew that Disney had absolutely no plan for the ST, and that's why he made Rey's theme adaptable to many scenarios possible...

23. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Padme was crucial in Anakin's turn to the dark side. He loved her, then she was lost. Romantic love was only a part of it.
    Ben's 'Padme' -a loved and lost person, that is, Rey- would have existed around his teenage years. So 15 yo Ben was in love with 5 yo Rey. They rolled in the grass, talked about politics, kissed each other. Weird. Like, pedoweird.

Her being a long lost sibling, pretty normal SW stuff. 'Across the stars' -if that theme is indeed there- reflecting togetherness regained, something that Anakin never had, also pretty normal.

Luke and Leia's theme conveys togetherness, and across the stars does the same. But different kinds of it.

This quote you posted talks about musical clues as opposed to other clues, but that is silly. Theres no clues about Reylo except in the Reyloists' heads, and SW music underlines, creates tension, expands on, but doesnt oppose the rest of the film.

For example, you hear the imperial march notes when Luke walks towards the whole FO on Crait ('the spark' cut) That doesnt mean that Luke's turned to the dark side and thats it. That music is used to convey a) uncertainty about Luke, just as the imperial march chords had been used in 'the jedi steps' in TFA and b) Luke, as hes seen by Ben/Kylo. Remember Anakin's 'from my point of view, the jedi are evil'.

24. Mila Lazarus

Dec 29, 2018
    Wut?!

You probably missed the discussion and my last post while you posted yours.

25. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Dies Irae. That is all. The teaser probably wasn't scored by Williams himself, but that was an epic usage that Jdubbs would approve of.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    IlhamKamaruddin likes this.