main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Dec 17, 2015.

1. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    He looks so cool. If I see this movie, it will only be for JB. I’ve had the DVD for the first one, borrowed, sitting on a stack of DVDs for a year without ever watching it. I thought I wanted to see it lol.

I think the deleted scene irks me because that should have been Finn’s entire arc, but @Sgt. Carver made a really good point - it actually highlights his skills from TFA. Which just reminds me, are there any scenes left in TLJ that highlight his improv and persuasion skills? I suppose so, with his figuring out how to disable the tracker he was convinced couldn’t exist two seconds before...

Jedi Jessy and Sgt. Carver like this.
  2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    & appearing in SW almost certainly landed him that role.

3. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    He didn't figure out how to disable the tracker. Rose applied her knowledge of active tracking to hyperspace tracking and made a logical assumption. Finn was just following along with her.

4. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    So no then?

5. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

you're right! since he..."guessed" how to disable the tracker and all. Yeah, that was them touching on his skills.

6. KembaSkywalker

Jun 16, 2016
    I know that you constantly love to bait and spout zealous hate about the film in every single thread that you decide to post in, but we had an over 2 page discussion about this very topic and how that wasn't the case. I'm assuming you're ignoring that discussion, in order to just spout more pointless baiting on the forum instead of just discussing the film constructively. I'd ask that you not ignore that discussion, if you could.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  7. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Kind of Hoping Idris Elba get's the Part of Duke Leto Atreides if Denis Villeneuve does his Dune movie....than let John Boyega play Paul....

godisawesome , AhsokaSolo and Rhyoth like this.
  8. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    Yes, we had a two page discussion where you write off finn as a janitor in order to explain why he knows everything about the area where the tracker exists, except for the tracker itself. Then you turn around and cite him being a storm trooper when faced with his intricate knowledge of the tracker's refresh rate and the "biohexicrypt" shield system of the supremacy. You feel the need to defend the film against all criticisms no matter what. Don't try and turn this into some crusade by me. I'm posting in appropriate threads that are made to discuss/list criticisms of TLJ. You show up to try and talk people down.

9. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Oh man don’t get my hopes up. No way would Hollywood make a Dune movie that cool.

10. KembaSkywalker

Jun 16, 2016
    Dear lord. I guess I'll get the posts from the other thread if you're just going to grossly mis-quote me.

I think this one explains the situation best:

Hopefully that helps.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    MarcJordan likes this.
  11. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    That does sound interesting. Part of me would rather they do an HBO series for dune though. I'm talking GOTS, but without the obvious nudity.

12. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I'm not expecting it to be bigger than Star Wars, just hoping it does well lol.

13. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    So far, what they've said about his character is very very cliche, but i'm hoping its a pleasant surprise.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Please tell me you are secretly the casting director. That would be brilliant chemistry.

Satipo, modaubr and godisawesome like this.
  15. Kurenai24

Kurenai24 Jedi Knight

Dec 26, 2017
    Have you guys seen some of the spoilers from the TLJ novelization ...Rose and Finn's relationship is just toxic and stereoptyical.

Sad.

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  16. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Details?

17. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Not yet but I am sending my ideas to various film makers. If...you see Finn dog-fighting in an E-Wing fighter in episode 9...you know who to thank.

18. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I don’t even care that it comes across toxic. I care that it comes across as nighttime teenage soap opera trash. I can’t believe anyone thought putting this kind of crap in a saga SW film was a good idea, and then again, I’m amazed that in that environment, someone recognized that this garbage needed to be cut.

19. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    What happens in the novel with them? Did that backwards tux scene make it in?

20. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Just from what I've heard. :

She thinks he's "handsome but dumb." wonders if Rey also thinks he's stupid, gets mad and wants to tase him every time he mentions Rey, toxic jealousy basically. I heard that the kiss is fully from her pov and doesn't even give insight on Finn's reaction/thoughts on it.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  21. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    To the bolded... wow. I hadn't read that before. That's... even worse than I thought. I was bothered enough by the stupid jealousy and Finn reassuring her that he and Rey are just friends.

22. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Well it was already is toxic in the movie : even there, Rose has only negative interactions with Finn.
    Between the constant insults and the belittling, Rose also never allows Finn any kind of freedom : she never allows him to perform his own actions and make his own choice.
    That's quite problematic when your protagonist is a former slave, never allowed to think for himself in the FO : why should we be happy to see Finn trading one master for another ?

Even worse, the Finn-Rose dynamic is filled with Finn-Rey paralells : that only highlights how Rose is much less caring, comprehensive and supportive than Rey...

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  23. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Of course Finn reassured Rose that he and Rey are friends....I'm sure he fully realizes he's standing beside a mad woman that will go off the MOMENT she realizes how Finn and Rey REALLY feel about each other.

Book Rose: (Upon learning Finn and Rey love one another) "Clearly I must murder the hypotenuse...cause no one will love Finn like I do...It's for his own good!"

I do find it interesting that the kiss is from Rose's POV...I'd guess the writer needed to leave open the possibility that Finn doesn't feel romantic towards Rose...in case JJ has Finn and Rey get together instead.

24. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Yep, sounds like Rose!

25. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015

sigh.......I'm not even upset.