main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Mandalorian (Jon Favreau SW Live Action show) - Now featuring former Man in DeLorean

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Nov 9, 2017.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I often wonder why they just don't announce at least what time period these shows are going to take place in when they do originally announce them. Perhaps they don't fully know yet what time period the shows will cover?

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean the show is likely a year away or so, so the time period should be nailed down by now.

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Borrowing your list, rearranging, and adding my comments
    • Solo (only two more months!)
    • Filoni animated show (not confirmed, but it's a pretty sure bet. I hope they announce soon with some details. I'm guessing it would premiere this Fall.)
    • IX (Dec 2019)
    • Rian Johnson trilogy
    • Benioff and Weiss trilogy series of films
    • Favreau live-action show
    • possibly Obi-Wan (IMO, this is dead)

4. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    The answer to your question is simple: no matter what era it's set in somebody somewhere is going to complain that it's not the era they wanted the show to be set in and how it'll fail because of that. This happens to stories in any type of medium. There will always that person who doesn't like the setting, characters, plot, genre or something no matter what.

5. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    These press releases aren’t for the superfans who care what era it’s set in. They’re for the casuals who will go “Oh, Star Wars tv show? Cool.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Pretty much all TV and movies every.

7. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I am, primarily, excited. Favreau is a proven talent, a big fan, and certainly did the right thing when casting The Lion King (except, of course, for not casting Desus and Mero as Timon and Pumbaa).

Still, it's yet another white guy getting the big job, with the promise that they'll fill in other types of creators as the create a staff for the series. I'm eager for Star Wars to do something else for a change.

This needs to be the banner image on all press releases and threads about press releases.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  8. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Not this again. Favreau has all the credentials to be doing something like this. Let's not make a big deal of it when the white guy is probably the most qualified person for the position.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  9. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Favreau, huh? Let the live-action casting of Sabine commence, adventures of the next Mand'alor await!

Perhaps my bar is low, but after the David&Dan announcement, I'm just happy to see any SW that won't be contaminated by those two.

10. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    If they actually have killed the Obi-Wan movie (with Ewan starring) I will have officially lost a lot of faith in lucasfilm/disney :(

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I just don’t think it was ever a thing to begin with.

12. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

13. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Please, PLEASE make this between VI - VII. Ahsoka, Sabine, meet Luke etc.......oh boy!

14. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    If I'm remembering correctly, when Lucasfilm was first talking about spin-offs and there were whispers and then finally announcements of Rogue One and a "young Han Solo" film, they were kicking around an idea for a Boba Fett movie and an Obi-wan movie. Josh Trank was earmarked for one of them, probably the Boba Fett one, but when Fantastic Four tanked, he was let go from any future projects from Lucasfilm according to Kathleen Kennedy (Trank claimed he left to work on smaller projects, so believe what you want there). So who knows how far along any of these "potential" projects were, if there was a rough script, or if it was just talk, but people will talk and ideas will get out there.

Bobby Moynihan (former SNL cast member) told an interesting story on ColliderMovieTalk about a specific SNL after party (I think?) he attended. Daisy Ridley was there as well as Colin Trevorrow, back when Colin was still involved with Episode 9. Daisy asked what was going to happen with Rey, Colin whispered in her ear, and Bobby (out of earshot) observed Daisy getting very emotional.

So again, people have ideas and people will talk. Are Colin's ideas at Lucasfilm somewhere on paper to inspire JJ? Maybe, maybe not. Is an Obi-wan film happening? Maybe, maybe not. My guess is not, that's all.

15. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    "Not this again"?

C'mon jammin, it's a valid observation/criticism.

So what if Favreau has "all the credentials" and is "the most qualified person"?

Looking at the directorial resumes of Ryan Coogler and Taika Waititi they were not the people you'd pick to direct blockbuster superhero movies. But they worked. Risks can be worth it.

But with all the shakeups they've had with creative folks, Jon Favreau as a choice is playing it super-safe.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

16. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    I really hope this is an all new cast of characters. Please no Sabine or Ezra or green-haired cartoon baby. I hope it’s something a little bit more ... grown up.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It won’t be a mature show it will be TV-13.

18. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Interesting, "not this again" was my thought when I saw another middle-aged white man had been hired to make Star Wars. :)

Jedi Princess, jSarek, Vthuil and 7 others like this.
  19. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Fictional Headline: Scientist finds cure for common cold!
    First questions on everyone's mind in 2018 - what is the scientist's age, race, and gender?

20. Abalore

Oct 19, 2001
    I’m certainly not asking for Game of Thrones- or Breaking Bad-level “maturity.” I really don’t think Star Wars is compatible with that. But after 10 years of Star Wars cartoons, I’m glad this is live-action and I hope it’s at least somewhat more adult. If I never have to sit through another Barbie or Lego commercial on DisneyXD I’ll be very thankful.

21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    The [direct-to-consumer] platform, whose price point wasn’t mentioned, will start with a domestic service only, and then expand overseas. There will be no R-rated films, and the programming will be consistent with the Disney brand. The R-rated stuff will go on Hulu. The plan now is to leave the various Marvel series where they are, which means Netflix will hang onto its superhero inventory.
    If this new show is going to premiere on Disney's new direct-to-consumer platform, I wouldn't expect it to be mature in nature at all.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  22. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Same to me. And Lucasfilm decided to announce it on international women's day...

23. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Would be similar to the movies in terms of age appropriatesness.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    You realize we will still be getting a cartoon.

25. Abalore

Oct 19, 2001
    I didn’t realize that was confirmed.