main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Is Han Solo useless in ANH?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by StartCenterEnd, Feb 7, 2018.

1. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Han had no idea just how important Luke, Ben and the droids were. Ben says "no questions asked, let's just say we'd like to avoid any Imperial entanglements." Han wasn't an angel and never pretended to be. He was a brash smuggler who was hired for one trip to Alderaan. When Alderaan was destroyed the mission became something else entirely. That's why he walked away near the end of the film. He had that mindset of 'this isn't my fight, I just got pulled into it'. But his attitude changed.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Master_Rebado and wobbits like this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The entire opening post is a big spin sounding much like those people who claim the Empire was actually good and the Rebellion was evil.

3. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    This is the latest in a series of threads from the same poster that to me are a total wind up.

4. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    *Pilots the ship the good guys need to move the story forward
    *Helps Luke sneak onto the Detention Block to save Leia
    *Provides a hiding place onboard the Falcon once the ship is captured on the Death Star
    *Saves the day at the end with the last ditch rescue

And all this happens despite Han not appearing until about halfway through the movie.

So yeah, I'd say that's a no.

5. JamieH

JamieH Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    Seriously, how can anyone come to this conclusion with a straight face? The Han Solo character was an independent smuggler who got reluctantly drawn into a much larger conflict that initially had nothing to do with him. Just because his somewhat selfish sense of self-preservation meant he didn't want to get involved doesn't mean he was "useless".

In the end, he decides he actually cares about these people enough to come back and help them, despite the suicide nature of their mission. Given that he already has his money and can go and do whatever he wants, it is an entirely selfless act.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  6. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Exactly! Isn't it his 'save' that saves them at the end?

Vader: I have you now
    [blast of a wingman/wingwoman, destroyed by the returning Falcon]
    Han: Yeeee haaa!
    Vader (and everyone): Whaat?
    Other wingman/wingwoman: Look out! (saving their commander, by pushing Vader's ship out of the line of fire and taking the hit/crashing into the wall)
    Han and Luke speak, Luke fires. The rest is history.

Pretty sure Han is crucial there right!!!

7. JamieH

JamieH Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    You're all clear kid! Now let's blow this thing and go home.

8. ZodaEX

ZodaEX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    I ain't falling for this bait.

9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    He saved Luke. And then saved him again. So I'd say he's pretty important to the galaxy.

10. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Not even a little. By that logic, every protagonist who makes a mistake or acts on poor judgment is "useless".

11. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Han Solo is not useless in ANH because he was a good team member, even if he was reluctant and mainly self-interested in the film. Plus, he came back and shot Vader's wingman down. He was lucky, certainly, since Vader was attempting to concentrate on Luke, and thus, all of his perception was geared toward Luke. If he hadn't been doing so, Vader could still have destroyed Han, given that Vader was the better pilot.

I think most people like Han for his portrayal in ANH and TESB. Harrison Ford didn't apparently want to be in ROTJ, and his performance in that film is a bit too comical for my taste. I liked it as a kid, but as an adult, I'm like, "Eh."

12. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Han is clearly meant to be self-centered and primarily out for his own survival in the first film. Which is in contrast to him selflessly returning to save Luke in the finale, and his general behavior later in the series. It's deliberate character development.

Having said that, in his first scene on-screen Han agrees to provide transport off-world for a pair of wanted fugitives. Not exactly something conducive to staying away from "Imperial entanglements".

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It was Obi-Wan who wanted to "avoid any Imperial entanglements" - not Han.

14. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    True. But getting involved with fugitives on the run from the Empire is not something likely to increase one's odds of survival.

Sith Lord 2015 and Iron_lord like this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Which is why Han charges extra.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  16. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Next thing he’ll be telling us that Daniel LaRusso was the jerk and Johnny Lawrence was the good guy in “The Karate Kid”..................<whistles>

17. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Sure, 100% agree, Han was completely useless. OK, we are supposed to believe he helped destroy the Death Star, but anyone could have done that. If Han had not shot down that TIE Vader would have had a last-minute change of mind and in a split second would have turned to the light side and not have fired. Or else I'm sure a meteorite would have hit Vader's TIE just one second before Vader would have shot at Luke's X-Wing. Or maybe one of the other TIE wingmen would have lost control and hit Vader's ship anyway. Or maybe Luke would have Force-choked Vader. Anyway, Han in no way helped save Luke and the entire Alliance, not in the least bit. No, we certainly don't need Han in ANH. What was Lucas even thinking, having this Western-type trigger-happy character in SW? We all know the movie is supposed to be hard sci-fi and should be absolutely serious. It was originally meant to be something like 2001. But look what we got, a movie full of silly aliens, guys dressing up in black or white armors, walking dogs, Western gunslingers, princesses and farmboys. And those silly lightsabers? Who needs that in a serious SF movie?

18. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Boba Fett once told Jaina Solo that her dad was a "smart barve."

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  19. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    what does that mean?

20. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    [​IMG]

21. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    A smart barve like Han Solo always knows where his towel is.

Sarge and Bob Effette like this.
  22. Viper78

Viper78 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    Nope.

christophero30 likes this.
  23. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    Who started this thread?

[​IMG]

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  24. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I think if you want to make a case for Han being useless or not needed then ROTJ is the film you should be looking at. Even then I don't mind him in ROTJ as much as others seem to.

Sarge likes this.
  25. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Luke being blown up by Vader and the Death Star blowing up Yavin 4 say otherwise.

Sarge likes this.