main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Assuming he survived the Battle of Crait.

2. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I mean, the First Order is obviously going to win. Even a humble radar technician in the First Order has an eight pack. I hear that they're shredded.

3. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    you win this debate

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    More TLJ spoilers:

I keep thinking about the New Republic's Planetary Security Forces. They are mentioned three separate times, as many times as the NRDF's remaining task forces. I'm wondering if Mon Mothma's decision to decentralize naval power for the New Republic may end up being one of it's saving graces. There seems to be more concern about a lack of centralized leadership and actual forces, if the Resistance is successful in rallying the remaining senators, PSF's, and NRDF units that survived Hosnian Prime, it is plausible for them to win.

It's all about hope. If a world feels hopeless, it will surrender. If a world knows that that there is a unified opposition, it's people are more inclined to resist and fight back. The entire strategy of the First Order's invasion was "shock and awe" to eliminate hope. I think we see it starting to fail by the end of TLJ... ;)

--Adm. Nick

5. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah the FO may have one massive fleet, but they can't hold every Republic world very easily. I mean from what we have seen they don't have many light ships, and they are currently reliant upon their centrist backers. I would assume a lot of their resources are still in the UR. They can have rich backers, but if said backers can't hold the planets they get raw materials from, then they are screwed. The FO is more direct than the Empire, but on some level that's their issue. They are not really a government, i mean they technically do have one, but the Empire was able to take over all of the resources and means of production cause they were given the keys to the galaxy. I really hope the FO's failing is that they are overly direct in that sense. Like you are saying, they rely on shock and awe

6. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    After reading The Last Jedi novel i'm looking forward to seeing the remaining Republic fleet take the fight back to the First Order.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes, it's the only way the First Order can consolidate their rule so the Rebellion can gain proper legitimacy.

I'm not joking either as the FO really needs some onscreen victories ala Rebels.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  8. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    They’re winning all throughout TLJ until the very end, so much so that one of the complaints I heard from a person who disliked the movie was “It’s too hopeless! The good guys lose every battle!”.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  9. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I admit, I'm mostly of the view I feel like the FO needs to be treated as a competent serious threat while the Rebellion needs to show why it's the best hope for the galaxy.

TLJ for whatever reason didn't quite pull it off for me.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That's kind of hard with Kylo and Hux running the show!

11. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    And the irony is, you CAN make a villain threatening without shoehorning Empire vs Rebels mk2.

12. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    We can say all we want that we don't like Kylo as a character but to say he isn't a serious threat for the main heroes of the trilogy is a silly statement. And of course I am sure someone is going to spout off how Rey is a Mary Sue in response to this.

13. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Actually I'm the opposite, I really like Kylo as villian, but at this point his only real threat is that he controls the FO war machine. He's clearly way out of his depth as a commander and Rey has already demonstrated shes more than capible of dealing with him as a force user, Not just in TFA, but also in TLJ when the praetorian has him in a death hold and he only lives because Rey saves his life after dealing with her own praetorian. in addition we see that the lightsaber tug of war knocks him out cold while Rey is perfectly capible of getting to a shuttle afterwards.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If they really want to convince me of that, then they shouldn't be doing stuff like this:

[​IMG]

I love that sequence as comedy, but in terms of Kylo's villain cred? It's bad.

Nor is it an isolated instance:

[​IMG]

TLJ doesn't deviate from this either. Could Ep 9 actually make Kylo genuinely scary? If it really wants to, maybe, but the ST seems to be half trying to tell me to take this seriously, while half the time winking at me to not do so!

Havoc123 likes this.
  15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    @Jedi Ben I think they are trying to make Kylo be moody like Anakin was in the prequels.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Uh.... They are?

Hhn. Well, we know how that worked out.

17. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    True. But a lot of that was due to Lucas's poor dialogue.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thing is Jammin, the ST should be doing better than that because, if the people making it were so inclined to, they could have learnt from the PT.

Instead, they appear to have decided they don't need to, thus they repeat the same errors.

19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    @Jedi Ben we can say that but groups of people repeating the same mistakes is far more realistic than not repeating the same mistakes.

War in general is just a repetitive struggle for control of land and power.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So you'll be first in line for Star Wars 47 then?

21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Of course.

vncredleader likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Sucker.

23. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    The main thing going on with Kylo in this movies is that, unlike the other Star Wars villains, he's intended to be a main character with whom we sympathize, and whose own story we follow and are invested in. As such, there's no reason to make him distant and scary - we see his flaws and his frustrations because we're supposed to be relating to him differently. Additionally, I really enjoy that, after a number of stoic villains, we're getting something different - a guy who's really not in control of himself but who's trying desperately to transcend what he sees as his own weaknesses and failures...all of which I find plenty compelling, In contexts where we don't get to see behind his public face - like his scenes in Battlefront II or his interrogation of Poe Dameron - he's plenty villainous.

24. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    All this stuff just makes him scarier to me. He's like so many radicalized young white men in this country the last decade, he's dangerous because he's such a violently petulant loser.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If I was in that world? Yeah, I agree, it would be far scarier. Because I'm not it becomes, well, what's the phrase? Ah yes, "bad comedy".

I'd agree too on the source for it, they just need to decide on a consistent tone in terms of execution.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.