main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Last Jedi by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 21, 2017.

1. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Waiting the Brazil version, that will be release on march 26, 2 days after, it's the blu ray, it will be a good week.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  2. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I got the book yesterday and I've mostly only read the Luke and Rey parts. I did not see anything specific about that scene of young Rey looking at the ship flying off. I assume that this is when her parents sold her to Plutt, but they likely told her they were coming back and she's been hanging onto that for years.

Dominick1216 likes this.
  3. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    It could also be that the Force vision was being metaphorical on this point. As TLJ has shown, trying to decipher them is tricky, at best.

4. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Are these typos?

Page 147, 3rd paragraph from top; "Han . . . Han was about it," Luke said. "But Leia trusted me with her son ......"

Should that be "Han was against it" ?

Page 233, 4th paragraph from bottom; She willed it into her hand -- and it flew it into the air, ....

Is there an extra 'it' in that sentence (though I suppose the two 'it's could be two different things, so it would be grammatically correct, just odd)?

cwustudent likes this.
  5. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I'm only 15 chapters in, but some early thoughts. In general, this book proves that Star Wars novelizations are best written by Star Wars novelists. Most novelizations range from bland to terrible. The notable exceptions are Stover's Revenge of the Sith (still the GOAT, in my opinion), and this, which is better than I expected it to be - and I expected to like this book!
    • Loved the prologue. It is deeply sad that Luke seemed destined for being dissatisfied with his life no matter what happened, but that seems to fit the theme here.
    • ACKBAR IS BACK. This one is harder to pin down, but Ackbar is perhaps the first character I've read in both canons where he feels like the same guy. Maybe it's all the ocean metaphors.
    • I'm appreciating the expanded technical and tactical discussions in this book. It is also VERY obvious why these would not have worked on-screen.
    • Mr. Fry writes an excellent Rey.
    • It's alarming how well this book dovetails with Cobalt Squadron. Again, to anyone listening at Del Rey, this is why you hire experienced, successful Star Wars writers for these things.
    • Poe is great - a character totally in keeping with pilot characters of the EU, with a fascinating bit of self-awareness: he knows he's the hero of a Star Wars story. The best part of Oscar Isaac's performance easily translate to the page.
    • I was tickled that when Rose reviewing her thoughts on Finn, she finds him cute, but distracted by a "bizarre crush on his friend." It's unclear whether the friend is Rey or Poe, and I like it this way.
    • No one has convincingly demonstrated how a Starfortress bomber would fit in any Resistance hanger we've seen.
    • Of course the entire crew of the Cobalt Hammer died, but it was extra painful seeing their deaths through Paige's eyes. Still, one of the rare missed beats - which Jason could not have known about just from the script - was the look of pained horror on Paige's face as she watched the bomber formation get ripped apart by TIEs.
    • Poe's scene during the evacuation of the Anodyne was great, and added substantially to his arc.

6. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    The Luke line from the move when talking to Rey about Leia sending Ben to him is "Han was Han about it,"

7. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Any info on Han's funeral? My book will only arrive in 2 weeks or so...

8. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Here is my spoiler-free review for the New York Daily News - I loved this novelization, it was so absorbing!

9. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Big interview with the Independent, and we cover a lot about the process, that prologue, and more. Including a discussion of a few things we considered/tried but ultimately chose not to do. (Pilots! Some guy named Skywalker!)

10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Darth Caliban and hermiona52 like this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    6 or 7 versions of the script? How different was each one? Were they all written by Rian or did other people contribute to them i.e. Lucas, Abrams, Lucasfilm Story Group, John Knoll?

Gharlane likes this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I’m done with it. Opened it at just before 8 the kids went down for the night, finished by 10.

Such a good book. Literal love for it.

Getting inside Snoke’s head is just brilliant. I read it aloud to my wife. His inner monologue about what he did to the First Order is divine.

Tantalising titbits about the New Republic.

Rey is written so very well.

Luke being ready to go back and seeing Rey and Ben together and changing his mind was gut wrenching.

Everything Hux does or says or thinks is pure snark. Amusing. Lots more Poe, and the throne room scene remains the highlight of the film.

Is it better than the RotS novelisation. It might just be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    See, you utterly wolfed it down - you ought to have literary indigestion at the very least!

14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, I loved those! Here's to hoping JJ picks up on that thread for IX!

--Adm. Nick

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I should do, Ben! But blame @jasonfry for making it such a brilliant read!

Incidentally, Mr Fry, I have decided you owe me an acknowledgment drink.

But all is forgiven for everything beautiful Snoke. *laughs*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    This is you Sinny:

[​IMG]

Jason's the chef!

17. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    About your question. Yes.

anakinfansince1983 and Giovs like this.
  18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I hope there's a spot for the InterLukes somewhere in the future - they sound really cool.

19. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Finished last night. I literally bawled during Luke’s death scene.

I loved all the varying POVs. I’m usually not a big fan of omniscient POV, but it worked here.

Especially loved all the scenes Jason got to expand on and really get inside the characters’ heads. Can he have another Del Rey novel now?

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Sadly, this was a disappointment. It's quite clear Jason gave it his best shot, but his aim was fatally compromised and hindered by the fact he was novelising TLJ. The one thing that would have made it far, far better is more Luke, but that just wasn't here. I was hoping for a better sense of Luke's viewpoint, but what's here is more or less what the film gives us minus Hamill's killer performance to sell it. In that respect, most of the weaknesses of the film are replicated here.

As to the fabled NR references, either it was a sentence here, another there or they were too damn subtle I missed them completely. (Quite, quite seriously - gimme the page numbers.) In this respect I can recognise that Fry's hands were probably tied by the lack of knowing whatever is being done in Ep 9, but I still feel it's a missed opportunity. Especially with regard to Bloodline, this could have paid that book off but doesn't.

The big success of the book lies elsewhere then - Luke, Rey, Holdo, Poe, Ren, Hux - they are very much as they are in the movie. Where Fry does work a good amount of magic is in character recollections:

Snoke's musings about the true nature of the Contingency
    Poe learning to fly in the atmosphere and orbit of Yavin with his mother Shara, including flying around the Death Star wreckage
    Hux recalling that the Jedi used child soldiers - he has the Imperial version
    Snoke running through the list of his rivals - Brendol Hux, Sloane, Rax
    Luke's adventures in the decades before were aimed at uncovering the greater truths of the Force
    Snoke aided the Empire in the Unknown Regions - that demands to be expanded on, as does the greater truths he claimed to hold and wished to deny Skywalker

These were excellent and hinted at a grander tapestry that absolutely has to be developed further.

Nom von Anor, J_K_DART, Ghost and 7 others like this.
  21. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Should I read the regular one or the expanded one?

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    There is only the expanded one.

Vialco and BobaMatt like this.
  23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Expanded.

--Adm. Nick

24. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Heck, Amazon is taking forever to ship my book.

25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Amazon UK split my order (4 books). First part has a Monday delivery date. Unfortunately Jedi is in the second part which is estimated for next Friday.