main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Official "The Mandalorian" Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Corran1138, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean it’s not technically a dead end Kylo is a Skywalker by blood.

2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    There's so much new stuff coming on the slate now, I don't know what to think about when and who these will all be about!!!

I am super excited at this news though...

3. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    This is going to be the ultimate breeding ground for new directors. Prove you can direct a few episodes of live action Star Wars, and then graduate to features.

4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    My parents and I'll borrow their passwords! Hey-oooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Mark me down as "curious"

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I wonder... will Jon Favreau also play a character in the show?

7. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    An idea I had that I think could be interesting would be if one of the characters was an engineer who worked at one of the major weapons manufacturer companies and if the series started with this person almost in a futuristic office setting and a 9 to 5 with work friends and lunch breaks whose work place is suddenly infiltrated and hostilely taken over by the Empire or First Order (depending on era) because they catch wind that the company has also been selling weapons to the Rebels or Resistance (depending on era). A few coworker friends put up a fight and are killed and the situation gets hectic fast. This person’s girlfriend gets killed after telling them they can’t do this. They get shot next. The character bolts and scoops up the only known prototype weapon they were working on and uses it to kill a bunch of them and takes and destroys the hard drives and is basically on the run and worried for their life and their life’s work. They then somehow find their way into a crew and go from a basic 9 to 5 office life to legitimate adventure and have revenge aspirations but their role would largely be our gateway into this crew where they would then be the brains of the crew and the primary engineer and then we’d come to know and like the others in that crew.

The difference would be starting in more of a 9 to 5 office setting that many of us could relate to instead of another desolate planet setup with someone in poverty.

Another idea that might be a fun TV show and writes itself almost a little easier would be a Flight school similar to Top Gun for X-Wing pilots and make them all in their late teens and partying and hooking up and make it feel more like a college drama in season 1, complete with rivalries and hazings, and coming of age aspects, and then grow from there in season 2 with them being deployed and needed and becoming a squadron as part of a large ship and making it a mix of top gun and some of the big ship bridge drama of Battlestar where they have to deal with an Admiral and other aspects of the crew on a big ship that we don’t often see in Star Wars. Would it be a little like Trek or Battlestar? Perhaps but that doesn’t mean it couldn’t be fun or thought provoking if done well.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Darth_Pevra likes this.
  8. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    The real question is what timeline will the new Star Wars live action tv show take place.

9. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    He'll do a good job :)

10. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    I think Benioff and Weiss will handle the Old Republic era...it just makes too much sense. Rian's trilogy I see covering the Unknown Regions and new mythology regarding the Force.

I see Favreau going straight-up space Western...bounty hunters, heists, shootouts, romance, buddy comedy. A bunch of charming anti-heroes trying to make their fortune and glory with the Empire or New Republic constantly on their tail.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Pre Vizsla's decapitated head? :p

12. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Remember " executive produce and write a live-action Star Wars series".

That means someone else will do the hands on stuff.

On television, an executive producer usually supervises the creative content and the financial aspects of a production - he won't be on set.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yep, but he will be writing the show.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I'd bet a hundred space bucks he'll direct at least an episode or two. They haven't gotten that far so no need to announce it but I'd be shocked if he doesn't.

kalzeth likes this.
  15. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    JJ Abrams only directed the first two eps of Lost, I'd wager something similar would make sense here.

16. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    The fact that it says "executive produce and write" implies that Favreau will indeed be a/the showrunner (a la Vince Gilligan with Breaking Bad), which means he would absolutely be on set, lead the writing staff, oversee/choose the episode directors.

In television, the showrunner is always the head writer and an executive producer. But you're right that there are other credited executive producers whose level of involvement runs anywhere from "I slapped my name on this" to "I provide regular feedback and liaise with the network."

17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, but JJ wasn't really involved with Lost after those first two episodes. From the sound of it Favreau will be the showrunner. A lot of showrunners direct two to three episodes or more per season. Take the Duffer Brothers for example. I think that's probably what we'll get with Favreau. At least for as long as he stays with the show. You never know he may step away from the show after a few seasons.

18. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I’m thinking this show will be grounded literally as in little to no space combat. Also the wacky aliens might be kept to a minimum.

kalzeth likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    We will most likely see a lot of Twi'leks

kalzeth likes this.
  20. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    What is the deal with that? Why has the expanded universe always featured Twi’leks?

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    For the books I don't know, but I will expect it in this show since they look like humans with a bit weird heads.

22. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

What he means is that the Star Trek brand suffered after a decade-plus of an enormous amount of content. In addition to the large variety of toys, comics, books, and general merchandise, the 1990s saw:
    • several seasons of TNG (I think about half was late 80s, and half was early 90s)
    • 2 original Star Trek crew films (Star Trek 6 + 7)
    • 4 TNG crew films (Star Trek 7 - 10)
    • 7 seasons of DS9
    • 7 seasons of Voyager (ending its run in 2001)
    • 4 seasons of Enterprise (starting in 2001 and ending in 2005)
    Many of these films and shows were all running concurrently with another one, and ultimately the brand went into a hibernation of sorts, as there was, in my mind, both franchise fatigue and an overall disinterest from the general public.

As we know, the Star Trek brand was revived with the first reboot film by JJ Abrams, but honestly, apart from the name, characters, and some basic lore, the new Trek is an entirely different Trek than the decades that preceded it.

Will Star Wars fatigue ever happen? Will Marvel fatigue ever happen? Will superhero film fatigue ever happen? Yes, at some point in the future, perhaps distant or not, fatigue of some kind will happen. It's just the way it is.

23. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    marvel won’t. Kevin Feign and the powers of Marvel have many different stories to tell. It isn’t about the special effects, but the creativity and crafting of storytelling. Star Wars fatigue won’t happened because Lucasfilm is not telling any kinds of stories. This live action stuff is going to be good, but if you hang out in the santuarary thread, you’ll hate Star Wars

kalzeth likes this.
  24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I just like we are getting these collections of Star Wars visions from quite different people.

I am sure we will also be getting some Filoni-Star Wars too.

Trikuza23 and kalzeth like this.
  25. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Star Wars fatigue won't happen with any amount of significance. Of course there will be a little but definitely not enough to make them stop making tv shows and movies.

Tobi likes this.