main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Calm down.

Someone said you shouldn't make it obvious who your favourite characters are storywise.

You took away from that continually that it was wrong for a author to have a favourite character, which wasn't the point being made at all. It was being made that it shouldn't be made obvious by the story who that character is.

You don't have to get defensive when people point out that you didn't get the point being made.

Lost_Hope likes this.
  2. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Calm down.

If you can’t tell while reading Harry Potter that Harry Potter is obviously JK Rowling’s favorite character, if that isn’t obvious to you in the story, I want to commend you on your ability to disassociate yourself from an author while you partake in reading fiction.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Blastaar, SomeLoser, wobbits and 3 others like this.
  3. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Absolutely! And we can see that it’s organic and free range. ;-)

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Also, the point was never that one should never be able to discern or identify an author's favorite character... but that is should not be glaringly obvious.

Satipo and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  5. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I get it. It’s glaringly obvious in HP, and countless other works of fiction.

6. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    And maybe that's one of her weaker points?

7. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I don't think it's that controversial to suggest Filoni has a bit of a blind spot with certain characters.

8. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
    Didn't Rowling say that her favourite character is Dumbledore?

9. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    No. HP is a legend because it is wonderful. Those of us here on this message board aren't earning credibility points by nitpicking it to defend some arbitrary rule some professor somewhere thought up.

https://www.theguardian.com/childre...6/jk-rowling-favourite-harry-potter-character

Dumbledore is the character she'd most like to have dinner with. Harry is her favorite character, which is obvious if you've read the books. They're written practically maternally for him.

Who said it was controversial? I just disagree that it's a negative feature. As I said previously, I think the character of Rey could benefit from a little love in the writer's seat.

10. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I've never read the HP books but it's entirely possible they would have been better hadn't they, as you say, made it obvious that HP was her favourite character?

Wouldn't that have taken away from the tension of HP possible death had you known she had a particular maternity for him?

11. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    When something is beloved to me, I'm really not in the habit of presuming to second guess its creator. I have a certain amount of humility at least. Besides, I love Rowling's love for HP. I love reading those books almost like the invisible narrator is his mother, watching him after she died to save him. I enjoy sentimentality. I love Filoni's love for Ahsoka. I love passionate creators.

I can think of a very successful book that fits this description that I think would have been better otherwise, at least in my opinion. The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand is one where the author is blatantly in love with her protagonist. It just oozes from the book. I find the book a little pretentious because this obviously flawed character is so perfect to the book's author. But, despite not being my jam philosophically, I did finish the book, which I don't do with books that are entirely worthless.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  12. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Sure, no one is saying you can't enjoy it. I'm putting forward that it robs it of some of its tension when you doubt the author is going to risk the characters life in high risk situations.

Lost_Hope likes this.
  13. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    It's a trade off. Declaring one trade off universally bad is something I would disagree with. You don't read HP to find out if he survives at the end... although, frankly, I don't agree that Rowling's love for HP meant that she couldn't kill him off.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    While I can only guess blindly who your favorite character of Filoni's may be, this is growing outrageously off topic.

Sorry if we offended anyone's favorite characters. Please forgive us so this thread can get back to actual relevant discussion.

Satipo likes this.
  15. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
    NVM

16. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Okay fair enough uncomfortable intimate conversations. I just don’t see that as a bad thing. Most of our protagonists have had uncomfortable intimate conversations and it makes it interesting.

In TFA he did the same thing to Poe. It wasn’t sexual it was about gaining information. Likewise in TLJ the link was established by Snoke. Neither Rey or Kylo wanted the link and again it was not sexual it was mind games for both.

Are people also up in arms about Poe in TFA? He was immobilized and also had his mind invaded. What about Kylo
    ? He was an unwilling participant in TLJ too. He didnt chose when and where this connections would occur is he supposed to stay full dressed at all times just Incase? We’re people upset when Vader warped Luke’s mind at the end of TESB with his revelation?

18. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    You are describing them as though they are real people and not fictional characters. As far as I can tell, the context of the discussion is not in-universe, it is about the creative decisions that lead to TLJ’s final cut. Snoke didn’t force Rey and Kylo into uncomfortable, romantically suggestive intimacy, RJ did. Snoke didn’t know if Kylo’s shirt was off, but RJ did, and he did it anyway.[face_laugh]

Poe’s interactions with Kylo were not the culmination of his story-arc in TFA, it was only a minor detour. In TLJ, Rey’s relationship with Kylo is the fulcrum of her story-arc, so it’s understandable that people will scrutinize it more.

19. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Moving things back on topic...

I imagine the green milk has more DHA due to the aquatic diet.

I also suspect Luke milked at least one Tauntaun while on Hoth and that Tauntaun milk could possibly be better than either blue or green milk. Both in terms of color, taste and nutrition value.

20. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I didn’t read any of Kylo/Rey’s scenes in TLJ as romantic and as such just see it as a cool plot device that moves the story along. I personally don’t have an issue with it. I guess we disagree on its merits. All good

I have the exact same reaction as Luke every time this scene plays. So cheeky. That fish he pulled out too looked like it weighed a lot so I’m guessing under his robes Luke is just as buff as Kylo ;)

Martoto77 likes this.
  21. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    But cows are herbivores, so Ahch-To, which seems to lack plants, isn't really a natural environment for them. Plus, their physique doesn't seem optimal for a life in water. You have to be able to move rapidly in order to hunt (or catch fish).

22. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Ever seen walruses try to move rapidly on dry land? They still manage to satisfy one of the most fat enriched diets of any amphibious animal.

23. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Or experiencing an algal bloom. :p

24. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    This is like totally OT...but I think it was in this thread that some of us had a brief chat about 2001, Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick.

There's a pretty cool article out that talks about the history of the film, including but not limited to: long overdue, well over-budget, thin-ice turmoil with the studio (MGM), initial critical reception, general audience perception (and what seemed to be a generational divide thereof), the film's relevance today, how it stands the test of time, etc. There are some good quotes in it too:​

With ticket sales brisk from day one, the production ended up the highest-grossing film of 1968. “As for the dwindling minority who still don’t like it, that’s their problem, not ours,” Clarke wrote. “Stanley and I are laughing all the way to the bank.”
    OK.

Back to discussing how Episode VIII totally sucks ass
    _or_ is brilliant high-art.

EDIT: Sorry, walruses...

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  25. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I see the continuing backlash has entered the "made-up sea mammal diet is implausible" phase of the criticism. Happy days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.