main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A New Dawn, Tarkin — Aftermarket Prices

Discussion in 'Literature' started by nom_anor_no_more, May 11, 2017.

1. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    [​IMG] Never going to sell my hardcovers. I’m gonna need a new shelf soon...

2. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Tell me about it! Once you start down that path, it never lets you go.
    These are mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    I had to compromise with the wife. Kept all the hardcovers but I've sold all the canon adaptations in my collection. The volume of releases was becoming too much on the wallet so had to make a decision on what I will buy going forward. Which is a shame because the hardcover OT retellings were excellent

Giovs likes this.
  4. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    That's sad man :(
    I used to collect the Black Series figures, but had to stop and sell a few for similar reasons.
    Today I also have to choose what to buy, that's why I don't have the Phasma and Canto Bigth novels, or the Rogue One novelisation.
    I migth buy them if I see them in a nice price someday.

5. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    I haven’t noticed it on Life Debt or Empires End. But I have noticed bloodline has shot up recently. The five main ones I’ve seen are...

•Tarkin - $100-$125
    •Lords of the Sith - $70-$90
    •A New Dawn - $65-$75
    •Heir to the Jedi - $60-$75
    •Bloodline - $40-$60

Those price ranges are relatively where ‘very good/new’ condition books are being listed. There’s some outliers, but those ranges are what most of the market is asking.

There’s no way I could justify paying for all those just to complete a collection, so I suggest keeping an eye out for deals online. They are there. I was able to snatch up ‘Very good/1st editions’ of Bloodline and A New Dawn for $30 a piece. You just have to check consistently (eBay alerts are helpful too).

Anyone care to guess what will be the next to start creeping up? If it’s the aftermath trilogy then a collection of mint condition 1st Edition/1st prints could go for a decent dime. Signed copies even more so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This is very hard to predict - all I'll say is speculation of this kind tends to be a mug's game.

Collectors can go as high as 2-3 times RRP, maybe, but higher than that? I doubt anyone would bite.

UnshavenWookie14 likes this.
  7. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    For the most part I think you're pretty spot on. And four of the five are in that 2-3 times RRP range. But Tarkin has consistently been the exception. An ebay auction that the seller takes the time to provide 5 or 6 quality pictures has easily gone for $100. I've seen it go for as high as $125.

I don't have a problem with people selling the book for that much. I think it's kind of frustrating that stores like goodwill have noticed and are now throwing up $100 listings with no pictures, or product details. The listings with pictures are often in suitable collectors condition (very good/new), and sell for $100 as a result of an auction. The goodwill type listings are usually 'good' condition at best, and they just get plopped down for $100 no auction/negotiations. This could be part of the inflated market. People don't mind paying $20 extra for the item with pictures showing good condition. Then the stores that sell online see people paying higher prices and bump theirs up as well.

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining. Im all for sellers capitalizing on a market. I really just find it kind of interesting. Books don't usually see that kind of price jump this quickly.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  8. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    Found a copy of Bloodline for basically the original retail price. It came in today and I thought the condition was on point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jedi Ben, Diego Lucas and Giovs like this.
  9. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Nice find! Bloodline is great, hope you enjoy reading it!

UnshavenWookie14 likes this.
  10. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Nice find. Not only a first edition, but a first printing too. Awesome

11. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Wow, i always think that first edition = first priting
    Both Point of View and Phasma that i have are first edition
    How i know if these editions is first printing?

12. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    Nope. Editions and printings are not the same. Printings are all part of the same edition. So if you have a copy of a book that's the 5th printing, and I have one that's the 1st, it's the same book. It just means mine was in the first batch of books printed.

Editions only happen when you make a substantial change to the book. Changing the cover, changing the trim size of the book. Adding in a ton of extra material (intro, lost chapters, etc). Stuff like that. Simply fixing some typos or updating a map or something wouldn't call for a new edition.

Fun fact, every single copy of each hardcover Star Wars book that has been published since A New Dawn...it's a first edition. EVERYONE owns first editions, because we haven't done 2nd editions of any of them. But, not everyone owns first printings.

For older books like say, The Hobbit, there's more value in having a first edition because of how many editions of that book exist. Having a first edition, first printing is like...out of this world crazy valuable. Because, for older books, chances are the first print run of them was very limited. For example, the original print run of Harry Potter and the Philosopher (Sorceror's) Stone in the UK was just 500 copies.

So how do you tell what printing? Well, look above at the photo of the copyright page Unshaven Wookiee posted. See that odd row of numbers above "First Edition", that's the printing mark. Look closely, you'll notice it's the numbers 1-9, but arranged outside in, with 1 and 2 on the outside, then 3 and 4, then 5 and 6, etc. Regardless of the arrangement, the lowest remaining number denotes the printing. So, this Bloodline is a first printing. For the second printing, the 1 would be dropped, and the 2 would be the lowest digit. If the book ever needed to go past 9 printings, you'd simply print the next book with 10-19, and so on

(Sometimes you'll see the printing list arranged in order 123456789 or sometimes reverse order 987654321. Why there are various ways to show it, is some long tradition of publishing I'm not aware of.)

Diego Lucas, jSarek, Giovs and 3 others like this.
  13. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    For collectors, When you hear ‘First Edition’ it means First Edition/First Print. If you just got the first edition then all you bought is a hardcover book.

Some collectors also take advantage of this when selling online. They’ll list a ‘First Edition’ hoping some one will come along thinking it means the first printed version and don’t mind paying the price bump.

So when you see First Edition asking for the big prices make sure you ask to see the publishers page to confirm the first printing. I was shocked because my seller didn’t provide that picture .

I’m more of a casual collector so I just thought I was getting a good-very good quality hardback. other buyers ran up a simultaneous Bloodline FE/FP auction to $80. I was the single bid in a non ‘FE/FP’ auction, which closed at $29.99 when time ran out. Steal of my young collecting career

jSarek and Giovs like this.
  14. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    That's really interesting, I'll check my hardcovers to find out if they are first printing!

15. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Did any of the Legends novels besides Heir to the Empire ever get a new edition hardcover?

16. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Thanks, looking my copies, yes they are first printing.

17. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    Possibly but I don't know for sure. I'll do some research

jSarek likes this.
  18. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    For anyone that’s looking for these aftermarkets there’s a great condition copies of LOtS and Heir to the Jedi ending in 10 min. HTTJ 30$ with only 1 bid. LOTS 32$ with a bid. I already got my copies so figured I’d pass it along to anyone still searching for good copies for far price. Better hurry over though. eBay auction ends soon.