main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion UPDATED: Game of Thrones Creators NOT to Write/Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    same.

I'm trying to remember what I meant by that but I can't.

2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Prediction! The protagonist will be the Force tree from ahch-to and the big bad will be fire.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Did you have some Confederates - Star Wars mashup brewing in your head?

Mostly Handless and oncafar like this.
  4. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Which Sith order and timeline? There where multiple sith empires at different and same time periods within thousands of years in the old republic. Hell I would love to Sith empires fight other Sith empires full scale galatic war.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    kalzeth and Darth Smurf like this.
  5. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    For those who are hoping for a Knights Of The Old Republic type of show, these dudes would be the ones that I would choose. This seems to be right in their wheel house.

6. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I played KOTR once, worst game ever, I hope it has nothing to do with it.

7. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015
    Yeah I'm not much into gaming either, so I know nothing of KOTOR.

8. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    If you know nothing about KOTOR, then why would you think that Benioff&Weiss would be the right choice for it or that this would be right in their wheelhouse? :confused:

black_saber likes this.
  9. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015
    I keep hearing about Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic, are they one in the same? If so I may be just confused

10. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    They are connected, but not really the same.

KOTOR was a single-player game from Bioware that played a few thousand years before the movies (the looks isn't ancient though, it is still modern). It was followed up by a sequel made by Obsidian that gave a slight twist to the background of the original story, but mostly dealt with something else. A third game was in early development but got cancelled. Years later, Bioware made The Old Republic, which is an online multiplayer game that plays a few hundred years after the events of the two KOTORs, and builds upon one piece of the story from those two games, though probably not in the way the second KOTOR had intended. TOR is basically a huge war between the Republic and the Sith, and a player can play for both sides, with different character-types offering different stories.

In other words, KOTOR I & II are quite different games from TOR, but they are connected through the story, and characters from the KOTOR game - or their ancestors - play a sizeable part in TOR as well.

The two KOTORs were awesome, but I'm not really a fan of what they have done to the story with TOR. There are some cool elements in there, but also parts that didn't really fit to what happened in KOTOR. It's one thing to have a character turn into something different in the future, but having newer stories go back and changing the background of older stories (e.g. turning the villains of the original into pawns of an even bigger villain) is not something I'm fond of.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Revanfan1 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  11. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I thought it was a good game, but I'm not sure how well it would translate to a movie, simply because it relied too much on trying to replicate things from the OT. It had its own version of the Falcon, its own Chewie, its own Yoda, etc. And everything looked remarkably similar to the OT aesthetics, despite the fact that it was supposed to take place 4,000 years earlier. Which, again, was fine for a game because it was just an opportunity for players to play in the familiar SW universe with a new story. But for a movie, I think making it look and feel so much like the OT, despite taking place so far in the past, would be more problematic. If this series of films is about the Old Republic, then take advantage of it being so old, and make it look different from what we know. This is a chance to really reinvent SW with totally new ships, architecture, technology, etc. Sure, it's risky, but they can still make other films that have the more familiar setting for people who want the comfort of that.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't think anyone expects an adaptation of the video game. KOTOR has just become the term people use when discussing the era it takes place in. It's shorthand for saying you'd like to see something involving the ancient wars between the Jedi and the Sith.

13. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    The prequels were meant to fill in the blanks for what led up to the OT while the ST is obviously about filling us in on what happened after the OT.

With that in mind do you all think the B&W series will somehow inform the PT, OT, and ST or will it be it's own thing? If it informs the other movies than I guess we're talking about movies about the first Jedi and Sith users and the formation of the Republic?

Does anybody want them to go in another direction? Maybe tell some sort of first contact story? Maybe a story about the first space travelers?

14. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I’ve never played the game, but the thought of a Live action film based on this, is very exciting.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Really? Why?

16. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Firstly, I don't think it has to be filmed in Black and White to indicate it was a long time before the current Saga :p

But seriously, I don't think they should go too far back in time. Without FTL travel and an existing set of known worlds then they would be really limiting themselves.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  17. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I never heard anything Official; but I am betting that Disney have jettisoned KOTOR from Canon, just like the old EU novels. And like the old EU novels, they may cherry pick certain Characters/situations from the KOTOR games, but go in a different direction in the overall design; if they end up exploring the golden age of the Jedi/Sith Era that is. And I think they definitely will at some point, sooner than later. Seeing a complete Sith Order for the first time, as well as the Jedi in their Prime? It is too fertile of an Era to pass up. :)

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  18. I only want Revan, Nihilus and Kreia and i will die happy

Trikuza23 and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  19. Play KOTOR II its better game than the first one

kalzeth likes this.
  20. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I'm down for some ancient Jedi/Sith origins type story but the technology should be a lot more primitive than what you see in KOTOR which seemed like it could have been the week before TPM, not 4000 years earlier.

21. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I'd be down for something really old, where there was interstellar travel, but repulsorlifts had not yet been invented, so there are wheeled cars and motorcycles and prop-driven airplanes. Or maybe that's going too far back.

22. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I did suggest many times in the past that some of the star wars movies and tv shows should be made based in the pre Republic like 35,000 or further back before TPM and Thousands of years taking place after the sequel trilogy. If they want to pull something bold and new.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Siphonophore likes this.
  23. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I agree that a TV Series set in the Sith era should be a little more primitive than what we see in the Saga movies, to make a distinction. Though I don't think they should devolve the technology too far back. Technology in the Star Wars Galaxy isn't necessarily going to change near as much in a 1000 years, as it would in our real world, since the tech in the Saga is extremely more advanced than our own. The Jedi and Sith already have lightsabers, more than a 1000 years before the existing movies, for example.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  24. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I would love for the films to be old republic and to show inferior tech compared to the Saga.

However it has to be done carefully because "old republic" is term for various eras because of how long it lasted. Basically anything that is 1000+ yrs before TPM Is old republic. But what needs to take into account is that the technology shown in say the last war between Jedi vs Sith (Banes era), shouldn't be in same progress as an earlier time period/conflict (such as 100yr darkness or early days of the old republic). Then of course their was a time even pre-republic.

Though technological progress doesn't always have to go upwards. You could have periods during the Old republic where people are using inferior tech compared to earlier times because long lasting wars has hurt industry/civilizations.

So when (since I'm sure it will happen) old republic films become a thing, they have to make sure its old.....but not to old technology wise. Leaving the door open to show an even older world before said films.

Then again, if they do make old republic films, they could all have them set during the same generation, allowing a unified ancient tech look. Instead of having each trilogy separated by long spans of time.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Now I'm envisioning the next announcement of SW movies from LFL:
    "Lucasfilm is pleased to announce the next exciting series of films in the Star Wars universe. The ghost of Charlie Chaplin will be directing a series of black and white silent films surrounding previously unseen events and adventures in the galaxy far, far away. Kathleen Kennedy, Lucasfilm president, said, 'we're very excited to be working with Charlie's ghost on these groundbreaking new silent films!'."

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.