main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Surprise surprise, it's in the red state of West Virginia.

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  4. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    anglo-american heritage of law enforcement

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The next time I am in northern Virginia I’m going to make a point of visiting this farm.

A sign that says “resist white supremacy,” the idiots who are upset by it, and a very, very patient farm owner

I laughed out loud at the comment sent into the farm indicating that a sign that says “resist white supremacy” is not “inclusive.”

Yeah, no ****. The reason the country is in such a ****ty state is that white supremacists think that they have a right to be “included.” Want to be included—try not being a white supremacist. It’s actually pretty easy.

The idiots who think that such a sign is “anti-white people” are just that, and remind me of the people who think that comments about ending toxic masculinity are somehow “anti-men.”

Idiots who think such a sign is “anti-police” just owned that many if not most police departments still have racist practices in place, so...congratulations.

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Kathleen Cleaver (left) at a Free Huey rally in DeFremery Park, Oakland, in 1968.

[​IMG]

A legacy of black empowerment
    The Black Panthers' striking symbolism reverberates more than 50 years later, from Colin Kaepernick to the 'Black Panther' movie

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I live in the greater Oakland area, and this scene from Boyz n the Hood always resonated with me. Even now, this is happening.

Jedi Merkurian and DANNASUK like this.
  8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
  9. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    From an article How "Good" White People Silence People of Color Every Day:

"Here’s the thing: All white people are not actively racist but all white people live in a culture of white supremacy and their actions potentially help to uphold that culture. Taking up space to talk about how non-racist you are upholds white supremacist culture and centers whiteness. Placing your offense, your hurt feelings, before the discussion of the racist issues centers whiteness and upholds white supremacist culture. These acts stifle discussion, silence education and uphold white supremacist culture."

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    This first video talks about how Erik is the story of Black America, as well as other elements in the film reflect on Black America.

In this video Marc Bernardin shares his thoughts on the film and how the themes of the film fills a certain void in the Black Community.

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I was expecting something much more subtle, much more passive, much less egregious.

I honestly had to stop reading at the end of the first paragraph. This happened in 2016?

Was this really a thing? Was there a significant number of "regular" totally Not Racist white folks who thought white genocide was a legitimate thing?

I've never known the term as anything other than a hilariously ridiculous delusion. I didn't know any non-Nazi types who took it seriously.

This was not what I was expecting. The reaction by her white friends was so stupid I had a hard time finishing the article, I just couldn't get over it. She may want to reconsider if these people are actually her friends and whether or not they are actually gigantic racist idiots.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    When I went to a vigil after Charlottesville, there were several speakers on the subject of white supremacy and how white people can be better allies to POC. (The crowd was pretty diverse.). One point that was made was that white people need to STFU when POC are discussing their experiences. Instead of us telling them how we think we can help, we need to listen (and not interrupt) while they tell us how we can actually help. That has resonated with me.

But yeah, I take issue with anyone who claims to be Not Racist but is still “concerned” with his or her race mixing with other races.

If talking about white supremacy makes you defensive, the problem is not the people talking about it.

13. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    That is an excellent article and something I've tried to take to heart. I know in the past I've been guilty of trying to take a larger role in conversations where I really should have just shut up and listened.

I feel as though as a white man I am more inclined to listen to people of color and their life experiences when we define concepts like white privilege and white supremacy because although I try to have the best intentions I can't ever really have the full picture because it has benefitted me.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I read about that earlier. She's a ridiculous person who should be jailed for wasting police time and gross stupidity.

16. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    That's a terrible thing. She's not only racist but making it much harder for rape victims to come forward. I wish I could say that story surprised me but we had something similar happen years ago in my area. The police even did a sketch(the 'rapist' looked exactly like Saddam Hussein).

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    She and her copy of “Birth of a Nation” both belong in a roach-infested vault.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Juliet316 like this.
  18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Progressively angrier face.

19. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    What did the roach-infested vault do to deserve that punishment?

20. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Video of a police stop in Boston where a cop stopped a black man (thinking he was someone else) and then started insulting him when the man refused to be intimidated by his bad attitude.

Best part is the second half where the cop starts telling the civilian to leave him alone...as if he wasn't just harassing the same guy seconds before.

Language warning, including use of the n-word (by the civilian)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  21. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    This is appalling. These cops should be charged.

22. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
  23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    One of them has.

24. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    There are all sorts of issues surrounding me talking out of my privilege. I am Native American, so it's not exactly white privilege when I talk about racism against black people, but it could be argued that, because the type of racism faced by black Americans is very different from the racism faced by Native people (and I can parse some of that for you if you really want), that I'm kind of talking out of "non-black" privilege. And of course I'm talking from a position of privilege when I talk about feminism and all that. I mean, problem is that I just like to talk about everything basically. I also like to listen to people in different situations or with different viewpoints than mine, so hopefully that helps. But I try to keep an attitude of humility in just about any subject, no matter how right I think I am.

But a lot of the issue of people talking from a position of privilege isn't really an issue of privilege, but of ignorance, at least to some degree. I mean, for example, a white guy making offensive comments about black people and racism; the issue isn't even really the privilege - it's just the ignorance. I mean, if white people are upset when black people try to correct them in their opinions or want them to stop talking about an issue (or apply this to men and women also), then there's a simple solution: get informed and stop saying ignorant things. I think it's perfectly fine, for example, for a white person to talk about the racism faced by Native American people in America right now, provided they know what they're talking about. I only have an issue with their "privilege" when they're acting in bad faith or speaking out of ignorance. But what we've learned is that privilege and ignorance go hand in hand, privilege creating and enabling ignorance. But if people bristle when you tell them they have "privilege," I expect they would absolutely lose their **** if you tried to tell them they were "ignorant," even though the word really has no inherent value judgment.

But, I do have to agree that the idea that someone is not a white supremacist and also thinks white genocide is happening in America is . . . well, not correct. Those people arguing with the author of that article about how white genocide is actually a real thing . . . those people were ******* white supremacists. They just were. Saying that they weren't tars non-supremacists with a pretty bad brush, ie. "Even white people who aren't white supremacists think white genocide is real!"