main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    That is a complicated topic. As a white gentile I don't feel I can speak with any authority on it, it's really not my place, but I will say that it highlights the constructed nature of race and the power structures it has been used to justify.
    I would not argue that Jewish people ARE white nearly so strongly. SOME Jewish people have passed as white, SOME have wielded white power structures against other people of color (but note! often do so against Jews of color! Complicated!), but then look at white nationalists in the United States as they chant "Jews will not replace us!" because Jewish people are not white even when they are.

Sorry, I wasn't gonna do this!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  2. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I wouldn't argue it so strongly, either, which is why the long version "partly refutes what I just wrote." As you point out, "Jewish people are not white even when they are," because of the complicated nature of the question. And the whole can of worms is further complicated by the fact that "Jewishness" itself is a tangle of religion and ethnicity that can be difficult to tease apart, by intersectional concerns, and (in the context of the original question) by the very specific environment of the Hollywood establishment, which has historically been an area where Jewish people have had uncharacteristically large amounts of institutional power.

"Complicated!" is the most accurate answer to the question.

3. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Let's revive this thread. So what are everyone's hopes for Solo diversity? I am still holding out for the main villain to actually be a woman. Bout time we have a lead female villain in the films

4. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Solo spoiler:

Enfys Nest has been revealed as a female very recently, although she's expected to be a secondary villain rather than a central one. But still.

5. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Oooh thanks for letting me know about that. Even if she is secondary that's still awesome news. Just based on the trailer she seems to have a lot of presence throughout the film.

6. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    My only regret is that
    if Enfys is female, she can't be Jaxxon under that helmet.

7. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Who's to say NuEU Jaxxon is male?

8. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Cavan Scott refers to Jaxxon as "he". ;-) But he'll be reintroduced alongside Amaiza, AND a new character, a droid called Mel.

vncredleader likes this.
  9. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Interesting.
    If that's not the case, though...
    ...I'm really hoping Nest is a Togruta under there, given the helmet.[/spoler]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Ghost and vncredleader like this.
  10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    On a related note to both this and the other point, I've mentioned in the Solo thread that I keep suspecting that Qi'ra is ultimately going to turn out to be closer to somebody like, say, Mako Spince than anything - an old friend of Han's who really is the completely amoral scoundrel he just pretends to be and winds up double-crossing the rest of the team.

CooperTFN likes this.
  11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Let's just hope that if there is a secondary female villain, she's not another Phasma.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Live action Ventress or Ventress-like character.

Please.

Hypatia and tatooinesandworm like this.
  13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Would probably have to be Ventress-like in Solo and not Ventress herself, given her fate.

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    After Darth Maul returning in Clone Wars, I think all bets are off on "dead" characters staying dead.

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm still so frustrated about that.

(Not because he returned, but because they didn't do it in AotC :p)

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have been opposed to resurrecting dead characters, including Maul, but if it’s going to happen...it needs to be here.

“You thought I would go soft over Quinlan Vos and let Dooku kill me? Hah!

...I have conquered every enemy I ever faced. Including death.”

17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    If Ventress was the villain of the Han Solo film Han Solo would be dead.

18. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    I’m behind on my reading, any gay type characters in the recent books and comics?

19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Unless...
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1, spicer and CooperTFN like this.
  20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Woody Harrelson is a weird choice for Quin but w/e.

FACPOV for sure, I want to say there's something in Phasma but I could be wrong. Aphra has an Imperial girlfriend now.

21. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Didn't she and Sana have a thing for a bit, too? And the cat men in Lando.

Endor_boy likes this.
  22. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    I'm going through kind of a lean financial period now (should improve soon I hope) but as soon as I have money to spare I plan to pick up the recent Star Wars comics trades. I love Aphra and the new SW comics in general, the quality has been great and they've done a good job with diversity - with queer women, They could do better with a regular gay guy in there though.
    . I have read Phasma and enjoyed it so I'm not THAT far behind. I don't recall any gay characters but possibly they just weren't memorable.
    On the movie front, I don't even know if I have the energy to hope for gays in Solo. I guess I'm saving all my emotional energy there prepared to be crushed by a lack of gay with Poe and Finn in Nine.

CooperTFN likes this.
  23. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    I'm several months behind, but Aphra and Sana had a past and there were still sparks there although a lot of bad feelings too.
    The cat men were fun and original. AFAI remember that's been the only queer male characters in the comics though, so there's room for improvement there.

24. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I am pretty sure those "spark" were blaster bolts :p

But seriously I do think there is a solid chance one of the crew in Solo will be LGBTQ, I just REALLY hope that it is not implied or revealed in a source book. put that on screen explicitly dangit

25. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    I think it's possible we will get something revealed in a novel or something. I'll be very glad to be wrong. I'm just holding back my expectations for Poe. If Poe at least isn't gay (with or without Finn) I'm going to be crushed.

vncredleader likes this.