main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Comics Thrawn #1-6 comic adaptation (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by iPodwithnomusic, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that TCW was going to have a Vong story - it does make sense that this story could also be a "Thrawn & Anakin" one. Maybe they might even release it with unfinished graphics, the way they did the Crystal Crisis arc and the Bad Batch arc?

2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    It was definitely not far enough along for that to happen. They hadn't started animation yet, and I doubt they recorded dialogue for it.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm pretty sure it looked more or less exactly like this:
    [​IMG]

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    That's by far my least favorite image of Nom Anor. The Vong are supposed to look vaguely human–not vaguely like a human skull.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    [​IMG]
    Batvader, meet Superthrawn. You are now pronounced husband and husband.

6. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Thrawn #4 solicit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: THRAWN #4 (OF 6)
    JODY HOUSER (W) • LUKE ROSS (A)
    Cover by Paul Renaud
    Variant Cover by CASPAR WIJNGAARD
    “THE RISE OF THE GRAND ADMIRAL” CONTINUES!
    Thrawn’s rise in the Imperial Empire continues at a trajectory one can only dream of. Meanwhile, Eli Vanto is still stuck in the same position as when he graduated – Thrawn’s aide. But will Thrawn’s obsession and pursuit of the mysterious crimelord “Nightswan” lead both Imperials to success in the Emperor’s eyes? Help comes from mysterious places in the Empire…
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2018 Lucasfilm Ltd.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  7. MissKitsune08

MissKitsune08 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2018
    I loved the first issue. Great art, coloring, facial expressions, I only wish they added the glow to Thrawn's eyes (at least on the cover) but I understand it's difficult thing to do. As someone mentioned earlier, it's too bad we didn't get to see how the Sith's gardens looks like. I'm still a bit surprised that Thrawn got to meet the Emperor looking like a vagabond.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I never read the novel so this was all new for me (Well, aside from the Mist Encounter redo at the start which I read the short story years ago). Cool story ("Hey, Thrawn had a buddy that got stuck to him!") and his meeting with Palpatine was pretty badass and even Thrawn had to deal with school bullies in his way. Super-chatty, though, but I'm assuming the writer is taking huge chunks of Zhan's text, that can have a lot of digressions, and condensing it down to comic book work. But really cool read, and as much as you can "like" Thrawn you still get the feeling he'll go completely cold and bloody and ruthless on anyone at any given moment which gives it an edge.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  9. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    My favorite moment from this issue is the part on Coruscant and seeing TCW Anakin with that armor he had in the early seasons.

10. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    why is skeletor there?

11. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Is this worth picking up? I read the Zahn novel and don't want to waste money if its redundant.

12. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Well, it's got pictures.

Force Smuggler, revan772 and starfish like this.
  13. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Scenes that you thought (or at least I thought) were just Eli and Thrawn having a dull chat standing around in a hall are weirder. In a good way.

Take casual bunkbed Thrawn, checking in on his Spacebook gossip:
    [​IMG]

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ....!!!

I'm sold.

15. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    And gorgeous ones at that.

MandaloreRex2015 and redxavier like this.
  16. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    After Tarkin i thought that the outside architectur changed after the Jedi Temple became the imperial palace. But then we would have the problem of getting the changes in line with it's appearance in ROTJ.

I'm really wondering why Luceno brought up these discriptions in this novel.

17. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Thrawn #2 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Eh, the Emperor can be fickle, let's just No Prize after he revamped it he thought "Nah, I like it better as the palace of my defeated enemies"

19. Tassy

Tassy Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2017
    Wait, what? But Thrawn never called Eli by his first name, never!

20. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    A+ artwork, love what Luke Ross and Nolan Woodard are doing.

21. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    The art work is very nice I agree. But as someone else mentioned, there is an awful lot of standing/sitting/walking around and talking. Hopefully there will be a bit more action in the next issue. Also not having read the novel, I didn't understand what was going on with the crashed V-wing and the pilot at the start.

22. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Just got around to reading issue 1... really like the use of the Shadows of the Empire throne room. That was a great callback. Also that the illustrator very clearly looked up the original artwork of Mist Encounter for inspiration, too. On that topic, kind of funny that Mist Encounter must be the (non-film) Star Wars story that has the most variations:

The original short story
    The story included with Outbound Flight, revised to take the prequels into account
    The story as adapted as the start of the Thrawn novel
    The story as adapted from the start of the Thrawn novel to be the first issue of the Thrawn comic

Zahn did something similar with the first issue of the Mara Jade comic, which essentially became the first Mara segment of Allegiance. I guess Old Wounds also kind of became the Twin Suns episode of Rebels, but makes me wonder if the new Thrawn novel is going to adapt anything else of Zahn's past oeuvre.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    re: Preview #2

The artwork is very good, but what stood out to me was also the panel layouts - this is looking to be one for the OHC hitlist.

spicer and Sinrebirth like this.
  24. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I think that just comes with the territory. The book isn't really action packed, at least for the first half.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Zahn books are pretty chatty and I remember the HTTE trilogy adaptations for Dark Horse were also super-huge on word balloons. Kind of like reading a Dan Slott penned Spider-Man comic, whole lotta reading. I did notice that in the comic they kept some digressions and asides too, which usually are the first thing to go in comic-booking but got it all into a (big) word balloon.