main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    It's proximity to Tatooine might suggest that it's independent from the Republic.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Gamiel and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But was not Naboo (Republic member) also close to Tatooine?

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Not sure. AOTC implies Tatooine is about a parsec from Geonosis. Obi-Wan's not 100% sure if the signal to Anakin will reach him on Naboo, which implies Naboo is a bit further afield. (The common desert features of Geo and Tat also imply a closeness that's not reflected in Naboo's climate).

In TPM, Obi-Wan specifically chooses Tatooine as a destination based on it being out the way, suggesting that it's further into the galaxy than Naboo. Anakin states that Tatooine is in the Outer Rim, and asks how the Jedi and Padme ended up there, which could suggest that Naboo is not in the Outer Rim (but maybe close to the edge?). There's an implied distance between the rich Republic worlds and the poor Outer Rim. Sure, it's a bit fiddly, as the Nubian ship had to get there with no Hyperdrive, but if we put Naboo at the outer edge of, say, the Inner Rim (not that familiar with the actual Atlas definitions given in the EU), Tatooine and Geonosis would be on the outer edge of the Outer Rim, nearish to Naboo.

None of this is particularly precise, but in short, Tat and Geo are out of the Republic, but near to the edge where Naboo is.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    vncredleader, PCCViking and Gamiel like this.
  4. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    When was Han born in Canon/Legends? I know he's older than Leia but that's it.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Legends, he was born around 29BBY (since he was found on the streets, the person who found him as a very small child (Shrike) doesn't know exactly how old he is but can make a fairly accurate guess.)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    In Heir to the Empire, Thrawn and Pallaeon discuss The Emperor's battle meditations, implying that both of them know that Palpatine is Darth Sidious. Was it ever said if either of them know that Vader is Anakin?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  7. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I doubt it. While Pellaeon may have had interactions with Anakin (he had interactions with Rex and Ahsoka in the novel "No Prisoners", I believe), Thrawn didn't (at least in Legends).

And likewise, Thrawn wouldn't have known that Vader is Luke and Leia's father, otherwise he wouldn't have risked sending the Noghri after them.

Daneira likes this.
  8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Is there any information, in Legends or canon, detailing how the New Republic took Chandrila from the Empire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    According to the old Essential Guide to Planets and Moons:

"
    Six months after the Battle Of Endor, with Grand Vizier Sate Pestage at the Empire's helm, seven Star Destroyers mysteriously appeared in Chandrilan space and enforced a strict blockade - nothing was permitted in or out. Pestage, alarmed at the recent string of Imperial defeats, had apparently decided to hold Chandrila hostage in case the Rebels threatened Coruscant. Fortunately, the Vizier's plot crumbled when Ysanne Isard forced him from office.
    A mere handful of years later the New Republic's navy liberated nearly all the Core Worlds. Mon Mothma, proud beyond words, returned to her homeworld to see her people finally freed from beneath the Empire's boot heel."

Edit: I wonder what was meant exactly by the word "mysteriously" above. It seems like a weird thing to say.

Edit2: Coruscant And the Core Worlds adds that the NR liberated Chandrila shortly after the fall of Coruscant.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Daneira likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe the point is that, at the time, people didn't know why, because it made little military sense, and only in hindsight did they figure out the reason?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Can someone toss me the name of a generic Jedi that we know survived 66, but they never gave a fate too or had him do anything of importance? Legends, preferably.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  13. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    No one cares about Coleman Kcaj.

(Someone had to say it)

14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Depends on what exactly you're looking for.

Lissarkh (blank slate Trandoshan). Keelyvine Reus. Olee Starstone and Klossi Anno. Zao. Nuru Kungurama and Nat Lariats. Bairdon Jace (one of the few blank slate movie characters left alone), Pix, Naat Reath, Voolvif Monn, Sanya.

Plus others whose fate was to disappear, like Qid Proko, Ekria and Drake Lo'gaan (RIP Zonder), and Scout. Rachi Sitra.

I'm sure if you look on the Wook, you'll find plenty that are nothing more than names. Pretty sure there are a bunch from Yoda: DR. Students who didn't get enough detail for anyone to care about wrapping them up, like Boofer (lol), Pirt Neer, Lena Missa and Pax Chizzik. You could also look through the list of unidentified Jedi.

comradepitrovsky and spicer like this.
  15. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
  16. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    How do the legends X Wing: Rogue Squadron books tie into the Rogue Leader/Rogue Squadron comics? Should I intersperse the comic reading with the novels or vice-versa?

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The comics end a few months (maybe even a year or two) before the first X-wing novel begins - so when I'm rereading them I read all the comics, followed by the novels.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. DarthJaceus

Dec 6, 2016
    Perfect. Thanks Iron_Lord!

19. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Would any of you recommend Star Wars: Visionaries? Most of the art I've browsed on Wookieepedia looks great, but I'm curious about the quality of the short storylines. I'm pretty sure I've read 'Sithisis' somewhere already and enjoyed it well enough. I'm especially interested in the 'Wat Tambor and the Quest for...' comic. That one looks pretty weird and wonderful. I don't mind at all if they're not *consequential* stories, just interesting or entertaining.

(I guess the comics are also included in the Wild Space Volume 2 omnibus, so I'd hunt around for an agreeably priced copy of either.)

20. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Do we definitively know that Lothal was a member of the Old Republic?

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that it was able to petition the Republic Senate for aid (even if that aid wasn't given)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lothal

that strongly implies it was. Add to that, a Jedi Temple, and the Mon Calamari sector right next door, and it makes sense for it to be a Republic world, even if it might have only had a Representative at most, rather than its own Senator.

I would speculate that it was among the (in Legends) 70 million-odd colonies & protectorates, rather than the 1.2 million-odd Full Member Worlds.

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    HELLO HI HI HELLO

I'm going to give you a terrible opinion. So two years ago I had to move permanently to a country with no SW books and limited mail, so whatever SW books I took with me I was stuck with forever and had to fit in one suitcase. Visionaries was one of the seven or so that made the final cut. Easily.

The story plots are not great (actually some have no plots unless you're on serious LSD) but it's one of the trippiest SW comics ever made and gives more background to the Separatist leaders than almost everything else ever written, combined. There are some beautiful pages of San Hill and his kitty but barriss he's torturing someone on those pages... wtf... And OMG the Wat Tambor Albino Cyclops adventure would make HP Lovecraft run into a corner and sob. So much fun! So much insanity! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Oh yeah but this is a terrible opinion because l remember when that came out and everyone was on and on and on and on about that Maul comic. Yeah yeah. That's a good comic. I still like it better than Rebels Maul, and I like Rebels Maul. But that is not comparable to the wonderfully brainglitching Lord Being of the Swirlbies ppl. But alas, my opinion is not shared by anyone on this forum.

23. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Oh yeah, I remember you posting about moving and suggestions for what books to keep! Thank you, your rec and descriptions are really helpful to me because I so often agree with your opinions of other SW comics. And if you insist your one here is 'terrible' or 'not shared' then we can set up a Terrible Opinions Table together in the Bizarre Tastes Corner of this sub :cool: :p I need weird Star Wars like I need air.

Barriss_Coffee and Kylun like this.
  24. DarthJaceus

Dec 6, 2016
    What's your guys' take on The Official Star Wars Fact File? I noticed there are two releases. Whats your opinion? What kind of content between the two. Collectible? Accessibility?

25. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I've been seeing quite a few West End Games sourcebooks popping up in my local Second Hand bookshop recently. Are any of them worth picking up for someone who has no interest in roleplaying stuff? They seem to have a lot of info in them but I don't know if they're worth it or not, especially with them being about things that aren't really relevant anymore.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018