main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit This facility is crude, but it should be adequate- Official Technology Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "This... is HNN." *deep cybernetic breathing sound*

2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I think the real question is if Palpatine and Vader use twitter...?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Alpha-Red likes this.
  3. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I wonder if anyone used what Amilyn Hold did in the past. It must be. It isn't that hard. Hyperdrive technology is a 1,000 years old. I'm sure someone tried it first.

4. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I think the most likely explanation is that shields render the tactic pretty much useless. The Supremacy probably just had its shields down.

5. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015

Probably yeah, you're right but would shields even be effective in stopping a massive star cruiser barreling into them at superluminal speeds?

6. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    They can never actually hit them at +lightspeed. They must revert to realspace to hit the object, and thus be going at sublight speeds. Still fast, but not that fast.

7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    You can collide with the hyperspace shadow of an object in real space.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I always imagine it’s Vader when I hear that on CNN. Or back in the day when JEJ would be the voice on the phone that said “Welcome to Verizon Wireless. The number you have dialed is not in service.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Sarge likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "You have failed me for the last time, Verizon Wireless."

Alpha-Red and Daneira like this.
  10. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015

True, but how do you know she stopped. Her ship was completely vaporized.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The impression I get, is that hyperspace and realspace are two overlapping dimensions - thus, an object in hyperspace can hit a huge ship, or planet, that is in realspace.
    Given that the Raddus has already completely vanished before hitting the Supremacy - (it's not that far away) - Star Destroyers behind it are easily visible) - this supports the idea that the Raddus is already in hyperspace before the collision occurs.

I believe that the set of still frames posted a while back in the Fleet Junkie thread:

, also shows that the Raddus was not vaporized but fragmented - the collision reverted the ship back into realspace, and its fragments are noticable as not Supremacy fragments.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I think the key is in Han's quote from TFA: "Their shields have a fractional refresh rate. Keeps anything traveling slower than light speed from getting through."

I think we can conclude that the FO, on all its ships and Starkiller base, have fractional refresh rates that can't prevent hyperspace attacks. Holdo knew this and took advantage of it.

Also, as said, the Raddus did somewhat drop out of hyperspace since you can see it's fragments. Thus I'm going to conclude that the EU's Admiral Griff did the same thing as Holdo, but the words "dropping out of lightspeed" were shorthand for whatever happens when a hyperspace collision happens (the colliding vehicle drops out into realspace). This also explains why no one ever used these attacks on the Empire, say autopilot a Mon Calamari cruiser into an Imperial station or the Executor--it wouldn't work as shown in the Griff scenario.

So the question is why did the FO use this fractional refresh rate when the Empire didn't? Simply, they were working as fast as they can under hiding from the New Republic (violating the Treaty of Jakku). It might be as simple as getting "traditional" shield would have required engineering and contracting that would have tipped the Republic off, so they opted for the faster and cheaper option (fractional refresh rate shields).

Gamiel likes this.
  13. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Given that larger warships are generally the only ones capable of doing damage -- an X-Wing isn't going to split a Star Destroyer, and you're not going to kamikaze a TIE fighter with an X-Wing -- and the situation in which the Raddus had literally one person on it instead of hundreds almost never happens, I think, is a sufficient explanation for why navies generally don't deploy warships with massive crews in suicidal attacks. The MC80 has a crew of over 5,000 people, for instance.

Sarge likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But why not use droide drive ships, or better jet: asteroids with a shep hyperdrive fitted on them and a simple droid pilot?

sidv88 likes this.
  15. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    I'm still partial to my theory that hyperspace tracking makes the Supremacy's presence or mass shadow in hyperspace significantly more vulnerable to a possible collision and that otherwise, the Raddus would have jumped through unharmed. During the chase, Holdo and crew could have spotted this anomaly while applying what they knew of hypothetical hyperspace tracking technology.

16. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    My mind is still in the days of the Katana fleet (dreadnoughts totally unmanned), and the fact that over a thousand generations there are countless decommissioned ships. That aren't guarded.

Crimson Jack had an old Star Destroyer all his own in the old Marvel comics. Darth Nihilus raised the Ravager from sheer force of will. Venator, Victory class destroyers so common in the Clone Wars all but gone by the OT--all someone needed was to get their hands on one of those.

The Star Forge--capable of producing mass amounts of starships from the power of the sun.

I guess I'm mixing Legends and canon here, but that there are likely a lot of old Venator/Victory class ships around if someone really needed should be applicable to canon. If anything, this sort of attack should have been frequent in the Clone Wars when droid armies did have star destroyer sized vessels, but we never saw this attack on the show...

Clone Boi Crash and Gamiel like this.
  17. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Back to bacta
    I wonder if the discovery of bacta halted all research of medical science. They found this wonder substance and got lazy. "Got a brain tumor? Get in the bacta tank". Their is no mention anywhere in canon of stem cell surgery. Does bacta substitute for stem cells?

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Maybe the secret ingredient in bacta is stem cells.

19. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    o_O

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  21. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    If you had to estimate or pick which Galaxy might be the GFFA, which one would you decide it could be? Obviously not the Milky Way or Andromeda. Astronomy buffs needed.

22. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    There are estimated to be 200 billion to 2 trillion (or more!) galaxies in the observable universe. "A galaxy far, far away" implies to me that it's distant enough that Earth astronomers are unlikely to have named or numbered it.

23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah, but if the GFFA exists in the same universe as ours...shouldn't we have Force powers?

24. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Force sensitivity (at least in Legends) is supposed to be a one-in-a-billion sort of thing, with actual Force users being another small fraction of that. So it stands to reason that, if Star Wars were real and the rules of the Force applied to us, some tiny number of humans through history did have Force powers - a number so tiny that they could all easily be dismissed as legends or hoaxes.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Now that the TLJ novelization has come out: here's how it works apparently: regardless of what the movie special effects might imply - the Raddus was still actually in realspace when it hit the Supremacy - it hadn't yet made the transition - the "jump point" being on the far side of the Supremacy.
    That said, the "hyperspace tunnel" created by the process of jumping into hyperspace, may have channelled the Raddus's wreckage into a real shield-punching blast.

Holdo also had not come up with the idea until quite some time after the transports had left - they were in the process of being fired upon.

Page 232:

A hologram shimmered to life at her console.
    "Admiral, we're taking fire!" reported a Resistance pilot, and she could hear panic in his voice. "What do we—do we turn around?"
    "No! You're too far out. Full speed to planetfall! Full speed!"
    An instant later the hologram flared out of existence. Holo thought she saw the pilot throw up his arms before it vanished.
    Holdo choked back a dismayed cry. She had to do something. But what? There was no way the Radduscould defend the transports—they had moved beyond the protection of its shields.
    A light blinked on the interface with the navicomputer.
    Holdo called up the interface to dismiss whatever the alert was—it would only distract her while she tried to think—then paused.
    Someone had entered hyperspace coordinates into the system, calculating a jump that had never been made. The navicomputer was asking if the coordinates should be purged.
    It was Dameron, she realized—he'd rushed to the bridge as part of the plan he'd concocted, the one she'd correctly dismissed as too reckless and desperate to succeed.
    Holdo called the coordinates up on her console. The Mon Calamari cruiser had kept travelling along its heading for Crait since the coordinates had been entered into the navicomputer. As a result, the entry point for the hyperspace jump Poe had calculated was now behind the Raddus, on the other side of the First Order fleet.
    Holdo stared at her screen, trying to figure out what she had missed and concluded that her wild hope might not be completely unfounded.

Page 251-252:

Under ordinary operations, the presence of a sizable object along the route between the Raddus's realspace position and its entry point into hyperspace would have caused the heavy cruiser's fail-safes to cut in and shut down the hyperdrive.
    But with the fail-safes offline and the overrides activated, the proximity alerts were ignored. When the heavy cruiser plowed into the Supremacy's broad flying wing, the force of the impact was at least three orders of magnitude greater than anything the Raddus's inertial dampeners were rated to handle. The protective field they generated failed immediately, but the heavy cruiser's augmented experimental shields remained intact for a moment longer before the unimaginable force of the impact converted the Raddus into a column of plasma that consumed itself.
    However, the Raddus had already accelerated to nearly the speed of light at the point of that catastrophic impact—and the column of plasma it became was hotter than a sun and intensely magnetized. This plasma was then hurled into hyperspace along a tunnel opened by the null quantum-field generator—a tunnel that collapsed as quickly as it had been opened.
    Both the column of plasma and the hyperspace tunnel were gone in far less than an eyeblink, but that was long enough to rip through the Supremacy's hull from bow to stern, tear a ragged hole in a string of Star Destroyers flying in formation with it, and finally wink out of existence in empty space thousands of kilometers beyond the First Order task force.

Vialco, Jedi Knight Fett and Gamiel like this.