main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    I like the Ewoks. In ROTJ, I thought they were great, and yes, I can believe that a warrior tribe, in their own environment and with some help, can outsmart, trap, and outfight Stormtroopers.

Building off of that, Battle for Endor has some good stuff in it. That movie can get downright nasty at times, especially the opening scene, but hey, family films were shockingly dark in the 80s, and I loved it!

And building off of that even more, The Ewoks cartoon had its moments, namely the Asha episode and the villain, Morag The Tulgah Witch, who to me, was like a female Mumm-Ra The Everliving. Creepy, and had a great voice (same voice actress that played The Spirit in the Book from that Care Bears movie, for those that care). Also, there was a late episode that had an off screen almost cameo from The Emperor.

I don't know if this opinion is "unpopular" as I imagine there are fans that feel the same way I do, but looking back on it, I really wish they never gave lightsabers to Yoda and The Emperor. It seemed cool at the time, but as someone who appreciates what these characters were like in the OT, it sort of betrayed how I saw them. Yoda's line "Wars not make one great" and even the great power both of them showed despite being frail and seemingly weak is what they were all about. As a kid, I kind of had the idea in my head that the stronger you were in The Force, the weaker you were physically because you didn't need to rely on the physical and gave yourself more and more to the spiritual. Yoda doesn't need to do back flips or swing a sword around, and The Emperor is the same way. What would he need a lightsaber for? He can shoot lightning out of his hands! I guess it wouldn't be as much of an issue if it stayed entirely on the PT, but I feel like every piece of Yoda merch out there shows him swinging a saber, which goes against what he's really all about. But maybe I'm just a killjoy...who knows, lol.

The Dark Empire Trilogy is not anywhere near one of my favorite pieces of Star Wars media despite its widespread acclaim among the fandom. Sorry.

I like the 3D Clone Wars show more than the 2D. The 2D has a better visual style and looks fantastic...but ultimately doesn't give us much beyond that. They are fun little clips showing some cool action. Outside of that, it doesn't expand the characters or the story or tell us anything we don't already know. Anakin is still a whiny punk in Vol 1 and in Vol 2, they do more foreshadowing of Darth Vader, which we already know is coming. They are great for a quick watch and are fun, but the 3D show successfully gave me stories and characters that I cared about, giving the series more of a resonance with me. The best example is the character Asaaj Ventress. in The 2D show, she's girl Darth Maul. That's it. In the 3D show, she has arguably the best character arc in the series. Heck, the 3D even made Darth Maul a more complete and compelling character too (despite the super fan-ficy and implausible explanation for his return). Ahsoka Tano and Cad Bane also turned out to be great additions to the canon and there were episodes that worked amazingly well, ranging from a fun Godzilla homage, to tales of genocide, to an off world, off universe meeting with the spiritual avatars of the Force itself. The 3D show took more risks, told more interesting stories, and was ultimately more satisfying for me....though I will agree that the movie that started the series was utter garbage.

Vizzy91, Darth Nave, Hypatia and 2 others like this.
  2. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016
    The 'Rogue one' soundtrack is bloody great.

THIS IS THE HILL I WILL DIE ON, DAMMIT.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    For non-John Williams Star Wars music, it is pretty good.

4. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Luke’s portrayal in TLJ is the definitive Luke Skywalker. It perfectly encapsulates everything that makes Luke a compelling hero.

5. The Prequels are bad

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I still think that’s a popular opinion.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and jaqen like this.
  7. Anslyder

Anslyder Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 8, 2018
    Among who? From where I come from, they all Star Wars and one just have a favourite movie .

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh, I agree I actually like the PT, I was just saying I think a majority still dislikes them, although I could be wrong.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Guys, just a reminder that bashing of the PT or any other trilogy is frowned upon, big time. So is, bashing someone else's opinion. Rebut facts with facts. @anakinfansince1983

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    true enough, should have remembered that. Sorry.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  11. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    "Whiny" Anakin is entertaining.

12. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Its non-homogenised score fit the picture brilliantly and enhanced the story's independence from the saga while being a worthy companion to it.

Dame sans merci likes this.
  13. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Any misgivings I have about Disney's handling of Solo: A Han Solo Story (and Star Wars in general) are overriden by the fact that a John Williams-John Powell score will now exist.

Lord Sith Harloxzz and Sarge like this.
  14. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Finn's skirmish at Jakku being his first battle was a mistake.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    How would you have liked that to go?

16. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Essentially have Finn be one of the soldiers who participated in many confrontations under the First Order's banner, thus making his later break from the indoctrination more compelling as he has to grip with those he had killed.

AhsokaSolo and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  17. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Are we sure that's his first battle? Maybe that was the first time he was ordered to slaughter those who had surrendered.

18. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    He does state that it was his first. You can find the quote online.

19. I think Solo would be a fun movie
    I'm more excited by this movie than The Last Jedi

20. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Here's an unpopular opinion: I think this scene is better with the omitted music added back in. When Yoda's theme kicks in and it appears like Luke is gaining the upper hand is some good stuff. The start of the duel should probably be quiet though, because tension and all.

Martoto77 and Sarge like this.
  21. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Why not have him balk at murdering unarmed civilians the first time he's asked to, regardless of his previous combat experience?

It doesn't take a veteran to develop a conscience about committing war crimes.

PCCViking and Iron_lord like this.
  22. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Dunno if it's "unpopular" but it's probably "not" popular:

The Goodwin-Williamson newspaper strip stories were and are the best version of events between ANH and ESB and really all that was ever needed.

Having been written mostly after the film saga concluded, they have a better sense of direction than Goodwin's own Marvel stories set during that era (and better art). Most subsequent EU stuff during this era feels like character inserts to tie the OT to the larger EU, which was going to cease to exist anyway).

The current Marvel series sometimes feels like it's trying to do exactly the same thing with the NEU, tying in elements of each new film or property as it comes out (Jedha, Crait, characters from Rebels), which although good for lore and fun in small doses, can be distracting. The stories have been hit or miss, and the art makes me long for... almost anything else.

New canon is in good shape for almost all other eras, but the "second" run at the ANH-ESB gap has never been topped.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  23. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    @FiveFireRings...

That's a name I haven't heard in a long time, the Five Fire Rings of Fornax (mentioned by Solo in the ANH novelization). It's a pity, I don't expect to hear about these in Solo, same goes for the planet Commenor where Solo traded his sense of chivalry five years before ANH.

Sarge likes this.
  24. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    - I found Holdo in TLJ to be a really boring character overall. I think she had a more distinctive personality in Princess of Alderaan.
    - I still believe Kylo Ren/Ben Solo is neither the complex nor the particularly deep character as they make it out to be. As far as being a "better Anakin", I disagree wholeheartedly.
    - I don't understand the hate again Rose Tico. I understand not liking the Canto Bight plot or having problem with her portrayal in the novelization but I think the movie did a good job not to go overboard. I can still change my mind if she spend most of 9 bickering with Rey or any other character over Finn.
    - I liked the Leia used the Force in space scene.
    - I like the way Luke died.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I agree with these.