main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Discussion/Critique of the art within Marvel comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jamminjedi23, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Chris Werms

Chris Werms Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2017
    Interesting! Well, hopefully I can stay respectful enough.

Or when I'm not, they happen to skip that post ;)

2. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    SilentGuy66, Daneira, Vthuil and 6 others like this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Interesting.

4. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What's particularly good about both articles is they take a constructive, analytic approach to this area, from the io9 one:

"But when it’s pushed too far, it leads to some very strange-looking and jarring results, which primarily serve as distractions to the story. We’re forced to stop and acknowledge Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford and whichever movie scenes they were in, instead of simply seeing Leia, Han, and Luke in the new adventure being told.

The shame of it is that it’s not even necessary. People weren’t complaining about Dark Horse’s old Star Wars books or even the classic Marvel comics 40 years ago because artists like Cam Kennedy or Howard Chaykin weren’t perfectly capturing the likenesses of Harrison Ford or Carrie Fisher. All that’s needed is for the art to properly evoke the characters, and the comic feels like it’s telling a Star Wars tale.

Case in point: Some of Marvel’s other modern Star Wars comics! Take, for example, Angel Unzueta and Arif Prianto’s current work on Poe Dameron—and Phil Noto’s work before them on the same series—which manages to feel like accurate depictions of Oscar Isaac, the elder Carrie Fisher, and other cast members from The Force Awakens without recreating exact stills from the film"

6. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
  7. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    So why is Ackbar's cloak here a solid black? It's like a void in the panel.
    And goodness knows why Han is mostly in shadow given their location and the lighting... oh wait, I know why, it's so that Larrocca doesn't have to draw the face and can hide how the tracing comes from a non-Ford photo reference.
    [​IMG]

SpecForce Trooper and Jedi Jessy like this.
  8. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    They still are copying Han's scenes from ANH. Even the clothes is always the same

9. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Well there was an ESB reference (smug with Leia with crossed arms in the medbay of Echo base) used in the preview. Progress?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Jedi Jessy likes this.
  10. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I do rather like the inking on Urtya's head/face throughout #44's preview, as well as the pencils and colors of both the landscape and the ocean surface. So while the Big Three are, in my opinion, still not so pleasant to look at here, Mon Cala certainly is.

11. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    "Let's copy everything, even the dialogue"

12. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Risking demotion to Captain Obvious here, but for anyone who doesn't click through the link or hasn't seen the preview for #45, that tweet isn't serious and the line in that panel isn't real... we only have unlettered preview pages so far, and that's not the lettering/font currently used in this series. The tracing remains up for criticism, though.

I'm going to page through the series again and look more closely at Larroca's landscapes and vehicles. If those are well-drawn, I'll appreciate them regardless of how I feel about the extent of his human character tracing. (The alien character art in the preview for #45 looks good, from what I can tell.)

13. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    I can't believe I didn't get it, my bad. I blame the flu :oops:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    This thread was just brought to my mind by the Thrawn comics thread, where people were talking about how much they liked the art, and yeah - it's pretty good. Really makes me all the more baffled at Larroca.

15. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Agreed. I think this is less a problem with Marvel and more a problem with Larroca. I've enjoyed the art for pretty much every series except for the Star Wars ongoing. I don't hate the art in the main series, but the traces just pull me out of it.

vncredleader likes this.
  16. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    With the newer better writer I'm tempted to subscribe to the main Star Wars comic, but that art is one major reason (possibly the main one) I haven't gotten back into it yet. Just, ugh, its terrible. Even sadder that they had different artists on the series before and while its not like all of them were great, most of them were at least decent with their own take on the movie characters.

And there's literally decades of Star Wars comic art and Marvel has settled on this as the regular artist for the main series? I'd take the art from the old Marvel series over this (and occasionally when a series goes for the intentional retro art, like some Transformers issues I've read, it works quite well).

17. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh man if Carmine Infantino was still alive and able to draw SW again, everything would be perfect. Honestly now I wanna see someone replicate his style like you suggested. Anyone got any ideas for artists who could do that really well?

18. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I really liked the pseudo-marvel look of The Rebel Opposition. I wish we could get a comic like that.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s had ups and downs, but the best art was the Anakin and Obi Wan.

20. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Yes Marco Checchetto is amazing

Jedi Ben, AV-6R7 and tatooinesandworm like this.
  21. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
  22. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    [face_sick][face_sick][face_sick][face_sick][face_sick]

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Is that actually real?

Revanfan1 and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  24. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    That is abysmal tracing.

25. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Thats my main turn off on the basic Star Wars comic series, is the bad cgi'ed faces or whatever they do.