main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    What better way to defeat my true enemy (the Empire) than studying their ships up close? [face_devil]

--Adm. Nick

2. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    You're a regular ol' Kell Bircher there Nick.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So here's what actually happens: FFG release a book for gaming and then talk about their intent. People who don't play the game don't get the context anyway, because they reverse engineered the WEG stuff and assume it's ok to keep lazily applying that methodology because "what you did yesterday is probably just as viable today", as the saying goes. When corrected, they ignore it, because for personal reasons it's more important to have their worldview unchallenged than to handle things as intended. Next thing you know, Widget X is "canon" on Wookiepedia because its inclusion in the Force Awakens Beginner Game map meant it was "recanonised". Even though a) it was on the other maps too, and b) no, it doesn't, and FFG nor LFL have given you no reason to assume this.

I don't care that you buy the books. I want you to, because more revenue for FFG = better quality products, like Genesys. I care that Lit people combine the two worst traits, ignorance and arrogance, when prescribing details about the RPG that they cannot possibly understand in the correct context.

I bet if I head to Wookiepedia, some POS is going to have cited the population of Jedha from Dawn of Rebellion as a canon number, aren't they?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh thankfully they have used the R1VD. Good.

Honestly, though. Buy the books. But respect the authors enough to not layer your assumptions, based on a position of textual ignorance*, over the top.

* And I don't mean "lol ur ignant", I mean, the lack of awareness of the rules and other constructs that the FFG fluff plugs into.

5. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    FFG isn't canon. That's clear as day, or at least it should be (I'm looking at you, Wookieepedia). Having said that, there is nothing that says authors/writers can't take ideas/worlds/characters/etc from one of the RPG supplements and make that particular thing canon. Of course, that doesn't make the entire product canon, just one little piece.

I bring this up cause Jason Fry mentioned that they catalogue and track all the new worlds for canon placement, including those introduced in FFG books.

--Adm. Nick

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Again, I'll make the plea to return to actually discussing the games rather than acting like volunteer canon police.

TheRedBlade, WebLurker and Daneira like this.
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You shouldn't have lower than a 2, really, unless it's a racial thing but yes, it only really synergises with gadgeteer (a bit) and operator (better). It does read like a spec that best goes with the Smuggler specs Gambler and Scoundrel but can synergise with some Colonist, Tech, and various AOR/FAD careers.

8. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    She doesn't have anything lower, but "2" doesn't do much, especially since she can't really increase it beyond one more point unless she takes another specialization. While from a roleplaying perspective it would be a perfect fit, the gameplay doesn't support it.
    We have a Colonist, but she's firmly in a support role as a Doctor.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's designed to favour Presence and Agility based characters. Unless you're an operative BH, you'll be Brawn/Agi/Cunning based no?

I mean you could spend XP on levelling the skill up beyond 2 greens and using boost die and destiny points if you really wanted those sweet leadership type checks?

10. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Nah, she had already had her heart set on another specialization - Dawn of Rebellion came in the middle of our campaign, after all.

My Duros Archaeologist really wants that INT 6 score, so I'll probably start in on another specialization so I can pick up the added stat point.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  11. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Yes, as of these past few days a lot of articles based on info from Nexus of Power and Dawn of Rebellion have been created and marked with the canon tag. I don't know what to think anymore.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Unnecessary.

I'm running a fantasy Genesys game now but yeah, Dawn's made me want to go back and run a big, epic SW game. Which I will do next.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2018
  13. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    A question: How adaptable are these systems if one wants to play in different eras?

(Disclaimer - I am sympathetic to the DT/GCW focus, and a desire to not be overshadowed by peskily ubiquitous robe-wearers.)

I'm just curious, if the tools are there for someone who wants to put in the work to write up and explore, say, the OR ... or somewhen else.

14. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Can we stay on target? Some of us would like to have an elegant forum for a more civilized age here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2018
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Last warning about personal attacks in this thread.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  16. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Honestly, the gameplay shouldn't be different. The F&D books seem to follow the Jedi specializations as if they were pre-Empire, just scarce afterwards.

If you want to play in the NT era, the Beginner Game should be the way to go; but again, I don't think the gameplay would really be different.

Onderon1 likes this.
  17. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    Thanks, blackmyron. :)

I actually have the core F&D book, but I've not really done much with it (this line is expensive - high-quality, absolutely, but not exactly wallet-friendly).

That said, the Force system is intriguing, and I'm at a point at the moment where I might be able to spread around a bit of my discretionary funding, if I'm careful.

blackmyron likes this.
  18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You will struggle a bit with the power levels of Force users, in that they will likely align nicely to the balance in the Old Republic MMO (disclaimer: I only played the base game to L50). Set the player's expectations around that, because they've actually done a good job at making Jedi (and Force Users in general) not untouchable gods.

Apart from that, there are two things you can do:

1. Minimal effort, just reskin stuff. The wheel is perfect, don't reinvent it. Stormtrooper becomes Sith Trooper. Inquisitor becomes Sith Lord. Rebel pilot = Republic pilot. Etc. The main thing is the narrative.

2. Check out the d20 Radio network or FFG boards for any PDF settings that have been fan generated.

3. Grab the Order 66 podcast. A few episodes ago they even talked about using the game for other settings.

As for Sequel Trilogy - as @blackmyron notes, the stats for First Order troops etc are in the TFA Beginner Game box, and comply with the existing rules.

I'm genuinely unsure who was personally attacked? I was talking about Wookiepedia admins, of which I'm not aware of any in this thread. What've I missed?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    @Onderon1, I did some poking around on the FFG boards and basically it looks like the advice has been to just reskin what's there. So with the three roleplaying game core rule sets, you should have enough to go on. For ease of play though I highly recommend getting some adversary decks if you can find them, and just renaming those too.

20. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I'll reexamine F&D (the rulebook I have) and think more about it - this isn't for an actual campaign, but rather a vanity project of mine. [face_blush]

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Feel free to ask for any advice, suggestions or interpretations of the rules here if you need them. And poke around the SWRPG boards over on d20 radio for any homebrew stuff, they're pretty good for that: http://www.d20radio.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=148

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Jedi Princess and KerkKorpil like this.
  23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Lokmarcha, maybe?

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Latest Order 66 has a bunch of FFG devs - Keith Kappel, Tim Huckleberry - talking about Dawn of Rebellion. They ram home too that the books exist solely for the purpose of facilitating roleplaying games, and information is only for GMs and players, which means if you're a Wookiepedia admin you should avoid listening lest it pierce the bubble.

Jedi Princess likes this.