main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    That is true, Rey Solo would actually maybe make Han and Leia look like "bad parents" because then they would have lost two kids. It would be like they can't keep track of their own kids and lose them, either physically, emotionally, spiritually or all of the above.

Mostly Handless, jaqen and rorow1 like this.
  2. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    It's just such a moot point now. She's not going to be revealed as the daughter of dead Han Solo, dead Luke Skywalker or likely dead Leia Organa at this point.

The ship sailed with TLJ.

3. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I keep my 5% chance of the alternative I suppose. Since not all possibility has been destroyed. But this is just how I go about things.

4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Thanks.

Although I still struggle to agree with the "why didn't Han/Leia do 'B' instead of 'A?'" or "why did Han allow 'X' to happen?" points as necessarily being debunking PROOF that Rey is random, this has given me some interesting insight about it. I definitely didn't think of some of those points.

Thanks for clarifying your stances! :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    jaqen likes this.
  5. Little Ray Sunshine

Little Ray Sunshine Jedi Knight star 2

May 2, 2016
    Maz already told her they are not coming back in TFA (and indicated she already knew it), of course she knows that in TLJ (or thinks she knows whatever she thinks it means sense she ran off before Maz could finish). What difference does it make whether they were drunks who sold her (I am still not sure what use Plutt supposedly had for a five year old girl) or just poor people who loved her but desperately wanted a better life for her, so they left her with Plutt while they went on a dangerous but potentially lucrative job, hoping to come back for Rey when they got their stake but perished instead? Both are "tragic" in the sense that they are sad, but the bottom line is her parents are dead, her childhood was what it was, it has no ongoing consequences and we could have known all that in act one of TFA and it would have changed nothing.
    Now, finding out that the evil dude trying to take over the galaxy is your brother, and last surviving member of the family you have longed for all your life and you will probably have to be the one that kills him, that has ongoing consequences and that would be classically tragic.

Sorry, I did not realize it was addressing a specific "Rey theory", I cant imagine what Snoke has to do with it...but then I don't really care either, so my apologies.
    So Rey using the hope of seeing her family again as a way to get through a difficult childhood is more tragic than little Rey crying herself to death in the desert? Sorry, I am not following you on that one.

Really? Your parents dumping you is worse than evil dad killing millions of people? If her parents were that badly off, she was probably better off with Plutt than with them...selling her could have been an act of sacrificial love.

6. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Aside from trying to stop the First Order what is Rey’s story going to be in Ep. 9?

Mostly Handless and Birkendoc like this.
  7. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Rey will be trying to stop Kylo. After telling Luke how Kylo Ren is strong with the dark side of the Force, hence they need the Jedi order back for any hope of stopping him, Rey will realize she already stopped him twice without the Jedi order...

This will be a true epiphany.

8. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Any thoughts on what her story with Finn will be?

9. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    they will do some Resistance things together and maybe they will have a slightly more mature dynamic because there will have been a time jump. Maybe it will be like how Luke did part of a mission with friends before going off to the throne room? I hope it will be different than that since we already had our throne room scene in TLJ. I hope for something original.

10. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I wonder if her Resistance mission will fail and that’s when Luke shows up to give her a pep talk?

11. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Oh no, no pep talks.

12. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Okay we’ll what if the pep talk came from Coach Taylor from Friday Night Lights because that would be a helluva pep talk.

13. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    That makes two of us because I literally have no idea WTH you're trying to convey here.

Yes, I find Rey's life far more tragic than Luke's. But you're being so purposefully facetious here that I see no point in even trying to discuss my reasoning with you anymore.

Doom_Buggy, Yora, NileQT87 and 3 others like this.
  14. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Yeah, guys. Luke only had to deal with his aunt and uncle getting incinerated, being embroiled in grueling warfare for more than half a decade (with his own father at points), getting his hand cut off and almost killed in a duel in which his father wasn't even attempting to kill him, living with a dark legacy that permeates every aspect of his life, and having everything he worked for in his adult life get destroyed by his own nephew but that's nothing compared to Light Side Messiah Rey's easy ascent to prominen-I mean, epic tale of woe and hardship.

wobbits, Shadao and Chewies_bandolier like this.
  15. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    So... What if Obi Wan Kenobi had a kid with some Tatooine moisture farmer, and that child grew up and moved to Jakku, seeing an opening in the Moisture Farm market, but his plans all failed, and he was forced to surrender his child to Plutt...

16. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Rey would still be a dull protagonist so that hardly solves anything. At most, it'd satisfy a theory that some people had.

17. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    And then Plutt pointed out a random ship leaving Jakku and told Rey “welp there go your parents” and when Rey started crying Plutt sold her tears to a moisture farmer who just happened to be Kenobi’s wife! She had no idea that the tears she bought belonged to her granddaughter!

18. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Just like Han and Luke were in the OT: best friends and heroes in their own right from two different parts of the story.

19. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Again, don't steal this as I plan to enter it into the contest.

As the fires of Rebellion spread throughout the galaxy, the First Order finds itself pressed on all sides by this new alliance. The First Order Holds the Core...but only tenuously. Their supply lines are stretched thin and people are defecting the First Order in droves.

Though the end seems near for the First Order, a wounded animal is a dangerous animal.

General Hux is consolidating his hold on the Core, attempting to hold entire worlds hostage against the advancing Rebellion/New Republic. Kylo Ren pours over maps and ancient text trying to find something that will turn the tide in this war....and he just may have found it. Rey and Finn heroes of the Reborn Republic forces are following his trail, hoping to end Kylo Ren's threat as Poe prepares their forces for a major offensive against the First Order.

So, Hux is digging in, and planning to kill mass sections of the population of any world the New Republic tries to liberate. Kylo Ren is searching for Sith/Jedi/etc knowledge that will make him unstopabble and he might've just found it.

Finn has been leading 'Rogue Squad' an elite special forces unit that can do ground and fighter combat.

Poe has been kicked upstairs, and finds himself arguing with other leaders about how to prosecute this war.

Rey has been dealing with Luke's other fallen students, removing Kylo Ren's support structure one, by one until he has NO allies he can trust.

Luke warns Rey that Kylo is close to uncovering a powerful force technique, 'Battle meditation' that might enable him to turn the tide of this war. Luke has spent his time within the force clouding Kylo's vision, preventing his former student from finding the sacred place that contains this knowledge and other similar powers. Rey goes to Finn, knowing she needs help. Together the two talk to Poe, who really wants Finn to lead his unit against the hardended targets of the FO...but agrees to let Finn take volunteers. Finn's entire squad volunteers to follow him and they all set off

So the final battle will involve the New Republic trying to free the core, while Rey/Finn and their team try to stop Kylo Ren and his acolytes from acquiring this font of knowledge.

Kylo Ren and Rey have a battle in the mind, their wills fighting against one another, and Kylo seemingly wins, knocking Rey out. He's about to cut her unconscious form down when Finn intervenes, blocking the Swing with Rey's lightsaber. Kylo gestures, intending to sweep Finn aside with the force....and can't do it. Rey sealed Kylo's connection to the force, taking away his power and leaving him just another mortal....she's already beaten him as without his connection to the force...Kylo won't last long on his own.

What follows is a ferocious fight between Kylo and Finn. Kylo still has more experience with a Lightsaber....but the odds are even enough that FInn gains the upper hand by taunting Kylo with ALL his failures.

In the end, the remnants of the First Order flee to the outer rim, Kylo is imprisoned and a new age dawns, one where Jedi work closer with people instead of standing above them...or some such.

20. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Great. So Rey only faces Kylo in meditation (that way she doesn't have any scenes with him in person) and Finn is transformed into main protagonist of the story rather than Rey.

No thanks?

21. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Interesting how you seem unwilling, or possibly unable, to grasp the concept of context. We were discussing a very specific context, yet you've just bulldozed in offering comparison between the entire life of a 50 something man to a 19 year old woman.

Your post, and agenda, speak loud and clear enough on their own. No need to offer rebuttal.

Yora likes this.
  22. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Yes, a 19 year old who has only grown in power with no real moral dilemma which arises from said power. Whose blunders only end up yielding benefits rather than anything in the way of tangible consequences (causing a power vacuum within the First Order that will most likely result in its collapse, for example). Who perfectly grasps the more esoteric spiritual knowledge of the Force despite having more than enough reason to treat it as nothing but a tool given her life of utilitarianism and survival.

Also, it's a completely apt comparison. I've explained why many times.

That sounds absolutely fantastic. Almost as if Finn should have been the main protagonist from the very beginning or something.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  23. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Perhaps you missed this part of my post?

"No need to offer rebuttal."

24. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Finn will continue his amazing romance with Rose

25. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.