main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Sanctuary - (Dissenters Unite! - Warning on page 232)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BretHart, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    It won't be a jj effort. If Rian was indeed offered 100% creative freedom(which I doubt), episode 9 will be written as a group.

Still think it's going 6 episodes.

2. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    I wouldn't mind them taking a couple more movies to resolve things, but I feel like theyd have announced it by now. Theys already announced tons of other stuff that will be keeping star wars going for another decade at least. Two new trilogies, a new live action show. I dont know where theyd fit a continuation of this story.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  3. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    What do you mean it's going 6 episodes?

4. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    That's why I think Disney is trolling, to hide the shock when Rey turns. Three films, as how they are currently being approached, doesn't allow the writers to properly build a villain that can sit alongside Palpatine.

5. sls062286

May 10, 2016
    The thing is Palpatine isn't the villan in Star Wars everyone remembers

6. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I think Disney are best cutting their losses and putting the so-called Skywalker saga behind them as quickly as possible after the mess they've made of it.

7. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    After episodes 1-3, of course he is.

jaqen likes this.
  8. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    He and Vader both are. Heck both of them have been parodied and homage enough over the years to prove that.

jaqen likes this.
  9. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I honestly think that was always the plan. That's why I jumped off team Rey Skywalker shortly after TFA. I thought about Disney, their history, and what kind of business model I suspected they'd want for Lucasfilm and Star Wars. And from there came to the conclusion that Rey definitely isn't a Skywalker.

The ST is the necessary evil to get butts back in the seat and sold on their new vision for Star Wars.

cerealbox likes this.
  10. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Kathy is that you? :D

jaqen likes this.
  11. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah no it wasn't. TFA maybe was, but the ST feels like "shamelessly trying to recreate what people loved about the OT, but without understanding what worked about those films."

12. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I'd say that arguably the two most popular characters in SW history are Darth Vader and Han Solo.

But The Emperor is still hugely well known. If there was a public wide "who is most villainous" poll between Vader and Palpatine, I think the latter would easily win, even if the former is more popular.

Doom_Buggy and Lost_Hope like this.
  13. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    A proper end of characters is still important to do that, at least imo.

14. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    If I can collect that Kathy paycheck, yes, I am definitely her!

Han Solo - Dead
    Luke Skywalker - Dead
    Leia Organa - Likely Dead

I love the ST, but I've been more cynical about Disney's motives from day one. Their aim is to milk the series dry. And you don't do that relying on an old business approach that treated Star Wars films like a rarified gems. When I read notes from the shareholders meetings promising a glut of Star Wars films for the next 50 years or so, it all clicked into place.

And George knew it too. That's why he made an outline for the ST and negotiated with the OT actors before the Disney sale. Everyone involved knew that the ST was the big cash cow, the way to draw folks in before the real switcheroo: a radically expanded Star Wars franchise that eventually will move far beyond Lucas' vision.

I suspected that Episode VII would be a huge throwback that reminded folks of what they loved about Star Wars, and the approach to RO sealed that. Smart business. But I knew that wouldn't last long. There's just no way that Disney payed 4 billion bucks for LFL just to wrap up George's vision.

It's been pretty easy to trace the approach once you look at what Disney actually is.

15. Elizabeth Mattos

Elizabeth Mattos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2018
    People underestimate Luke's popularity very, very much.

[​IMG]

16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Luke Skywalker is extremely popular. I can't make out that blurry poll, but I don't need one to know that.

17. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Episode VIII was a huge throwback that included scenes that are essentially plagiarized from previous SW movies. The notion that they’re doing something different is borderline silly to me. They changed father/son to misogynist romance, stripped family and good Jedi lore from every pore of the film, and then remade exactly what we’ve already seen.

What is the source of this chart? I know a chart I suspect is more credible from a mainstream source that polled random people not on the internet with wildly different results (though yes, Luke is of course at the top/second).

18. Elizabeth Mattos

Elizabeth Mattos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2018
    Luke tops it, with nearly twice as many views as #2 - Han Solo.

ETA: @AhsokaSolo The source's Quantcast.

jaqen likes this.
  19. sls062286

May 10, 2016
    Not really. Ask anyone to name a Star Wars Villan. 95% of people to name a Star Wars villan, they will say Darth Vader, and Id say a that' conservative estimate. Hes pretty much the face of Star Wars at the his point.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  20. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    @AhsokaSolo lol I think we're thinking of a similar poll. It appears that chart posted here is based on internet browsing activity in October 2015, before TFA came out, so I wouldn't take it as much of an indication of the relative popularity of the ST characters. Heck, even the Luke result is probably inflated by people wondering why he was missing from the TFA promo (and I say that as a Luke fan).

Anyways I don't think the relative popularity of Luke vs Han really matters, especially when so many people love the OT trio as a unit.

21. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Exactly. It's not like there's anybody who knows Han, but doesn't know Luke or Leia. They're the most famous film trio next to the 3 Stooges.

dragonchic likes this.
  22. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    ]
    If it’s from before TFA, that means Kylo Ren was partly so high because there was a lot of internet speculation that he was Luke.

In terms of the OT cast, they’re all near the top. I’m just skeptical and don’t think real data backs up the idea of Kylo Ren being anywhere in their vicinity in terms of popularity.

23. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah I mean even my parents, who are not SW fans at all (well my dad took me to see a special theatrical re-release of ROTJ when I was young and my brother to see ROTS when it came out, but that's the extent of his SW knowledge). Even they know "Luke, Han, and Leia," but as a unit, not individually.

-LordSkywalker- and jaqen like this.
  24. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    My parents only knew Luke and "Darth" but they grew up in a country where Star Wars isn't much of a thing, so I can't blame them. :p

-LordSkywalker-, jaqen and AhsokaSolo like this.
  25. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Actual Darth, not Dark? That's impressive unto itself.

dragonchic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.