main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    It's electric.

Yes, I understand that you don't have an adequate counterargument.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    this was this story about a girl becoming a Jedi, not a guy butting in to take over for her against the Force villain.

3. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Finn, take care of your fingers!

5. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    I think it is important to remember that hardships in the SW universe are not a zero sum game. Luke's hardships in his youth don't outweigh Rey's. And Ben can have them too without negating anyone else's traumatic childhood.

I suspect a lot of people forget this, and we aren't playing Whose Childhood Was the Worst Olympics here either. They all have an element of trauma in their childhoods, and that is a commonality that draws them together.

No thanks. The last thing I want is for Rey, who is the Force hero of this story, to be pushed aside at the 11th hour so that someone else (read: yet another male hero) can save the day. Sorry, but that is too mansplaining of an ending for my tastes. That's like Rey doing all the homework yet Finn gets the A.

6. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    whoops. DP instead of edit. my bad

7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    That's the thing, Luke didn't have a traumatic upbringing. He has tragic circumstances surrounding his birth, but grew up unawares. He never knew his dead father. He spent his life with two loving, stable parents. His life didn't radically change, and face major challenge, until adulthood.

Of the three leading protagonists, Luke had the least tumultuous upbringing, and Rey, by far, the worst.

8. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    I don't think you need to worry about theft.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If Rey is unwilling to defeat Kylo, which some seem to be hoping that she is in IX, and which she certainly seemed unwilling to do in TLJ...Finn needs to step in. That has nothing to do with mansplaining and it’s not “the guy taking over” for a necessary deed that she is willing to do herself.

Finn isn’t getting credit for Rey’s homework when Rey isn’t willing to do the homework. Based on TLJ and what I have read about some of the hopes for IX, it’s more like Finn doing all the work on a group project that he and Rey are supposed to be doing together.

And the idea that Finn was “the guy taking over” completely overlooks the fact that in this story, Rey is the one who completely removed Kylo’s connection to the Force—something Finn could not do. So in this scenario, there was a group project and both pulled their weight.

And Finn deserves to get to lead an elite squadron. He kicked Phasma’s ass.

Mostly Handless and wobbits like this.
  10. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Rey is the hero of the trilogy. Why would they end it with how Rey is unwilling to handle the problem of the villain?

Why build this "complicated relationship" between hero and villain to have nothing come if it?

I can't believe people complain about Rey's agency and then want to remove it entirely.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The story @Adept posted did not remove Rey’s agency.

As far as Rey being unwilling to handle the problem of the villain, I did not see that in the story Adept posted but I certainly saw it in TLJ.

12. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    The story that @Adept posted seeks to steal Rey's thunder.

It's not much different than MH's idea that Luke would rush in at the end of TLJ to bail Rey and Finn out.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I’ve never seen a story in which a Force user was able to render another Force user completely unable to use the Force as a punishment, the EU’s ysalamari not withstanding, so I don’t know how it’s “stealing her thunder” for her to do that.

Is it “stealing Rey’s thunder” to give Finn something real to do in this battle against the First Order? To have him and Rey fight alongside each other?

It wasn’t stealing Jyn Erso’s thunder to have her bring along Cassian, Chirrut, Baze and the rest of the squadron, so I’m not sure how it’s stealing Rey’s thunder for her to have a squadron with her—especially when, like Jyn, she would do the bulk of the important work.

wobbits and Jedi Jessy like this.
  14. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    I've seen many complaints here that TLJ was Kylo fan fiction or Reylo fan fiction. Adept's scenario strikes me as Finn fan fiction.

I like Finn and Rey exactly as they are: flawed. I don't need to reimagine them as ultra super badass. Watching people "kick ass" is not what I want from Star Wars. If I want kicking ass, I'll watch Die Hard.

15. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Kylo Ren is a white villain, Finn is our first black hero as male lead. @Adept doesn't make Rey less than Rian already made in TLJ

16. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Luke got to face Vader alone, like in a nice hero vs. villain battle. Anakin and Obi-Wan faced off alone too. I like my hero vs. villain, and not like, let hero sit out on sidelines. People are praising Black Panther a lot these days. Did the villain face off with others? Yes. But the main fight was reserved with hero. I don't think I'm asking for too much to keep Rey front and center in the trilogy in which she is the Force hero. I'm not even posing something unusual.

So Finn needs to be elevated to main protag because he is black. Okay. I will keep in mind that every time a character is black they need to be most significant in the story. Is there anything else black characters need to always be while we are at it?

Also is there something female characters always should be? I'll return to Black Panther. One of the women should have taken the Black Panther flower and defeated the villain at the end. Why? Because she is female. T'Challa had his chance and he lost already. He should have been out. And females have been not so much in the lead as men. Every time a character is female, I have certain demands. I also want the female character to always kick male character's *** in the most bad*** way possible. No more male victories. She should also be more intelligent, correct, knowledgeable, strong, skilled, etc.

Oh wait, then people will insult her for being this forum's forbidden term. But if this is every female character then they will not be able to complain anymore. It will simply be the way it is.

17. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Obi Wan faced Vader in ANH, it doesn't mean he "stole" Luke's place in the story. TFA showed Kylo and Finn having several moments, their fight make sense. Rey could fight agaisnt Snoke, in TLJ she had no lightsaber battle or Rey vs Kylo but people still defended TLJ. Luke was the only who really fought against the main villain

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The something female characters should always be is “not as they have been portrayed in the hundreds to thousands of movies made in the 20th century in which they were portrayed as traditional soft/nurturing/emotional/codependent tropes.”

The something black characters should always be is “not as they have been portrayed in the hundreds to thousands of movies made in the 20th century in which they were the ones doing menial labor, the comic relief, or the one with questionable morals.” (I’m white so a nonwhite poster might have more to add to that.).

It’s not like there aren’t options for people who want to watch women and minority characters portrayed in bad stereotypical tropes. Again, hundreds to thousands of movies.

wobbits and Jedi Jessy like this.
  19. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    The whole issue w/that scenario is it not only tries to shoehorn Finn into the Rey & Kylo Force conflict, it also gives the finale and resolution of that conflict to Finn.

That scenario is moot anyway because whatever the finale ends up being, it isn't going to be a showdown between Finn & Kylo. It'll be something between Rey & Kylo.

20. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I propose an alternative. We swap out DR with an actress who is not white. Then we can continue our Rey story. I am okay with swapping out other characters for non-whites too.

Also I want to gender-swap Poe.

It may be easiest to make all the characters female and non-white.

Obi1fan likes this.
  21. Strategize

Strategize Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2017
    No lie, I think I remember seeing that post one time in the diversity thread, in a 100% serious way. My mind was blown.

Obi1fan likes this.
  22. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I'm kind of being serious too. The contention over this stuff will be gone if they are all female and not white. I believe much of the forum would be at peace with this change.

I accepted that because Luke is such an epic character Rey vs. Luke was going to come up in the trilogy. But now that Luke is gone and Rey and Kylo have ended as "complicated enemies" I would expect to see resolution of that story and I wouldn't really expect Luke to show up and do everything. As a FG, he should not be able to interfere in that way in these mortal affairs, and he is so powerful he could probably smite Kylo with a thought anyway. Rey already took one for Luke in her hero role. But yes it evens out with Luke in the OT.

Obi1fan likes this.
  23. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    I think it is important to remember that “dealing with Kylo” is not synonymous with killing him, hurting him, or humiliating him.

Sometimes the solution is something else, and in the case, there’s a good chance her interface will resolve the conflict, but death, damnation or retribution may not be part of that formula.

And by dealing with him in a different way doesn’t diminish her role as the hero. Heroes function in ways others cannot. And in some instances, that heroic act is offering compassion and hope.

Obi1fan and hermiona52 like this.
  24. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    But if a female character offers compassion and hope to the villain, she is a dupe and and recurring stereotype for female characters. Not even Wonder Woman made this mistake.

That said, I think we can swing it with fem-Kylo.

Obi1fan likes this.
  25. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    That probably would solve a lot of the issues some posters in this thread have w/ the Kylo & Rey relationship & conflict. :p

I'm not even really sure I'm joking.

Obi1fan and oncafar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.