main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    Any way for the mods to move my post from Fanfic Writer's desk here in place of this message? I accidentally posted my thoughts in the wrong topic.

2. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    -You read all 193 pages of this 14 year old thread (EGAD!!! [face_hypnotized]), alternately cringing or laughing so hard you can't breathe because of how relatable everything is! [face_rofl]
    -While in a funk during a quiet spot, you leap ahead several chapters (or to the end!) because that's the part of the Fic you're DYING to write
    -The reason you flunked Pre-Algebra 3 times (!) was because the plot bunnies were hopping madly around the classroom and you didn't hear a word the teacher said
    -You outline an entire re-write of two full movies to 'fix' the stuff you didn't like. :p
    -Certain curveballs about which characters live or die totally messes up what you just finished writing...and you're bummed out because of it [face_blush]
    -When your motivation to write/post more depends almost entirely upon positive reviews (I know...pathetic):rolleyes:
    -You have five or more works in progress because you start more things than you finish :(
    -You're actually reluctant to find outside work because of how much it will cut into your writing time (legitimate because I've written real books!)

And this last one is more about being a hardcore fan...
    -Losing a favorite character leaves you far more emotionally distressed than the real-life tragedies in the news....

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  3. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    We have edit time in here, unlike the rest of the boards. Edit post over there, and move the content over here?

...when a drabble set takes six weeks to complete because it's just THAT emotional. (And it is. And it WILL get done.)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  4. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Yes to these two! This recently hit me in a major way; I spent two days mourning the loss of a fictional character. :( Which leads to my YKYAFFWW...

...your muse's answer to "Should I continue my existing stories as AUs or write something canon compliant?" is "Why not both?"

Which then leads to this...

5. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I do this all the time, not when I'm in a funk. If the bunnies are telling how a scene goes, you listen, even if it's not where you're at in the storyline yet!

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    ...when "sappy love songs" become mush fuel [face_laugh]
    ... when you are irritated that you have no Internet which means you cannot post something (or read fics either.) [face_batting]

Ewok Poet likes this.
  7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    You are such an inspiration for saying this—not least because it means you are fully out of the rough spot you were in. Fanfic writers got this! :D

8. Ridley Solo

Aug 27, 2010
    AHHHH! Now I want to write again!!!! Thanks a lot, @Raissa Baiard ! :p

9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you are away for a couple of days and then you discover heaps of notifications, most of them from @Ridley Solo. When I said that she was too fast for me, I meant it. [face_rofl][face_batting]

Did this.

Doing this ALL the time.

I would fail algebra beyond counting to 100 at any given time.

Said that many times. Sorry, not sorry. I am dying for new people.

Lalalalalalallalalaalla, can't hear you!

These two don't work in Europe's bunghole, but I wonder if they would apply otherwise. :eek:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Ridley Solo likes this.
  10. Ridley Solo

Aug 27, 2010
    You shall never have any rest from me, @Ewok Poet ! [face_devil];)

-When you spend three days debating whether or not to follow through on killing your characters...hmm, happy endings or character baggage? (AKA characters that have nothing else to do once their story arc is done)
    -When you forget about the book you were planning to read until it's due back at the library, because you were too busy writing

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. Ridley Solo

Aug 27, 2010
    -You absolutely cannot convince anyone (other than fellow writers) that you have literally no control over when you get inspired to write...and you feel as if you just sit there and let the idea fester, your head will explode. 8-}

Thorn058 and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    This put me in mind of Langston Hughes's poem "Harlem," which in many ways is super apropos to us fanfic writers and the kinds of inspiration to which we are prone:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  13. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    When you wish you could fix that minor typo in the title that keeps staring at you. ('Vader's Down"...)

Ridley Solo and brodiew like this.
  14. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Yes! I had this happen with my Kanera story. Secret of 'the' Heart.

Togruta likes this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I believe somebody, somewhere, has "wierd" in the title, unless I'm dreaming.

16. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I once wrote a story about Luke adjusting to living with a woman (newlywed w Mara) and called it Rouge Squadron. (Its long gone now)

YKYAFFW when writing is the carrot you dangle for yourself as the reward for getting all your paperwork finished. And hope your OCs remember you.

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] That is a reward for sure, for sure, for the readers as well.
    ... when your favorite fics to write (and/or read) are what I call fixer-uppers of profic plot :eek: :rolleyes:

Ridley Solo and Findswoman like this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Touché! [face_dancing]8-}

...you grammar Nazi a fellow grammar Nazi...BECAUSE YOU LOVE HER! @};-

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  19. Ridley Solo

Aug 27, 2010
    -When you break into tears upon finding, when stuck out of the house all day, you left all your fics-in-progress (as well as plot summaries) on the backup thumb drive...which is still at home. :_|
    -Yet, despite the above, you *still* feverishly write all you can, straight from memory. :p

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  20. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Lol I knew it was wrong but I was too lazy to fix it. [face_laugh]

Ewok Poet likes this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you want to have your supper earlier, because you need energy to COMMENT ON FICS. Edit photos, too...BUT FICSSSSSS! <3

Ridley Solo and Findswoman like this.
  22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh absolutely! My problem is I'm usually really inspired at work, but when I get home the muse is like, 'Nope, too late! You should have listened when I told you.' [face_sigh]

23. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yup. My muse is usually at 100% when I'm trying to meet a due date for school. I remember once, my muse was like dead for months. When should it come alive? When I was half-way across the country on a last minute trip (to a funeral) without my laptop.

Ridley Solo likes this.
  24. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when you create a new OC which is a variation on a theme of one of your first OCs. See?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    As said above...just me, pasta, tiny cakes and FIC.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Lady_Misty likes this.